5,599,254 Members 37,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

IT EXISTS: LG Hardshell In Depth Case Review(s) So close yet so far!!

Tip us?

Jrmiller
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_MCG View Post
Try putting your tracking number into the USPS system. Pure Mobile ships through USPS, but for some reason they link you to the UPS site.
thanks man. at least that has been figured out. they still havent shipped though all they have is the shipping info. no package
NEXUS 5 // Droid Kang // ElementalX

Nocturnal86
Old
Thanks Meter 142
You should try the black one it feels like the black Nexus back and is awesome compared to the white. I like the fit and feel of the white also but the black one feels like a naked Nexus and this is my case forever now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Saturn1217
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmBACON View Post
I didn't like the 0.3mm TPU cases because they were just very poorly made cases (I ordered 8 in different colours as well...). They are very thin, I'll give it that. Basically the same thickness as the LG hardshell, but a much more flexible material.

Don't think of them as actual TPU cases, and the grip that would generally go along with them. This isn't the standard TPU material where it is soft, bendy, and grippy. Think of it along the lines of the same type of plastic you would get with a semi-transparent file folder/document folder. It doesn't have the grip of TPU, it's the "smoothish" plastic. The plastic is bendable, but if you bent it too much it would fold and make crease lines like paper.

Also, with the sharp edges and abrupt creases, it doesn't seem to me like it was heat inject moulded like a normal case would be. To me it seems like it started as a flat piece of plastic and was stamped into a case. The same way you would imprint numbers on a license plate or something.

Unfortunately, the LG hardshell just gave me that same vibe when I used it. It is a much better quality case (still a bit too flimsy/brittle for my liking, just due to how thin it is) and I'm sure it isn't made the same way; but it just reminded me too much of the 0.3mm cases for my liking.

Here's a comparison between one of my 0.3mm TPU cases and a plastic file folder I had lying around. You can see it is basically the exact same material. The light reflects the same way, you can see the texture is the same. They basically took that plastic and I'm pretty sure just stamped it into a case.

Sigh...It sounds exactly like the hard case I just got. In fact I think they may be the same product but listed differently on ebay which is a shame...

I'll update if my case turns out differently but I doubt it.

I may just go with a tempered glass screen protector and a lens protector from slickwraps.

Thanks for explaining things! Wish I had found your post earlier!

Nocturnal86
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_MCG View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to remove the case without breaking it? And are the black and white cases the exact same in terms of thickness and feel?

I really want to re-order the white (since my white case broke as I was removing it), but I just don't want it to be a waste of money.

Try putting your tracking number into the USPS system. Pure Mobile ships through USPS, but for some reason they link you to the UPS site.
You can read the little insert that came with it it shows how to do it. But basically you just remove the case from the bottom first. You get one corner and lift it up (it's not locked in so it lifts easy with a finger nail) then stick a bit of your finger in the open space to hold it in place then lift up the other corner. Then at that point the case is stuck on the buttons prett much that's why it won't come off so just stick your nail in the space between the case and phone starting at the bottom of one side and slide it up so the case will fit over the buttons and there you go it's off. Haven't broke it yet and I've removed it a few times.

Hope that was clear enough lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Tags
hardcase, lg hardshell, nexus, oem