Ask a question

No registration required

[Guide] Tech21 Impact Frame Custom Backplates

OP izzy84075

24th April 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

9 posts
Being jealous of the Spigen custom backplates, I figured I'd try and get things going for the Tech21 Impact Frame cases. Thanks to the awesome folks at Tech21 providing the outline of the transparent section of their Impact Frame cases, I bring you GIMP project files with layer masks and all that already set up for you!

To download the template: Click here!

Making your backplate:
To use this, go download GIMP from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/, and open the file with it. I provide two layers for working on, named "Background" and "Image". You don't have to use both, but for the backplate I wanted, I needed something to fill in the gaps around my image. You can either click the little "eye" in the layers pane to hide whichever one you don't use, or just use the Image layer and make sure it covers the Background layer completely.

If you want a gray background behind the whole thing, enable the "Gray Fill" layer by clicking the empty spot in it's row in the layer pane, in the same column as the "eyes" for the other layers.

This template isn't perfect, but it turns out significantly better than the results I had trying to adapt the template for the Spigen cases.
Printing:
I had tons of issues printing with both GIMP and the Windows photo tools. I ended up using Irfanview to do it, and the results turned out beautifully. I did add a white background layer to the image before trying to print it, though, because the print preview kept showing a solid black background which I didn't want to pay for the ink for.
Example:

The results:
Failed prints and the single successful one(On the bottom left): Click here!

Cut out, sitting on my cutting mat: Click here!

Cut out, in the case: Click here!

And with the phone in the case: Click here!

Hopefully somebody else finds this useful! I don't know how many people have these cases, but if people want to share their own backplates, feel free to post them here!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to izzy84075 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread