5,606,779 Members 37,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How fast is Qi charging?

Tip us?
 
Felchy
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 54
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Default How fast is Qi charging?

I received the Nillkin Magic Disk charger I ordered a few days ago.

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?
 
mmmmBACON
Old
(Last edited by mmmmBACON; 13th January 2014 at 12:48 AM.)
#2  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 587
Posts: 626
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felchy View Post
I received the Nillkin Magic Disk charger I ordered a few days ago.

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?
Should be much faster than that, about half an hour longer than stock wired charging with the Nexus 5 adapter/cable.

~2.5 to a little over 3 hours depending on the charger.

If you are using a decent 2A adapter with your charger, it may be your USB cable. Some cables out there are quite crap and despite using a high amp adapter will keep the settings as USB (as if you're plugged into a computer port) and charge at around 500mA max if you're lucky.

In your case, the USB cable may be doing that, and severely underpowering your Qi charger, which will end up charging your phone at like 300 - 350mA. Stock wired by the way charges at ~1050mA by comparison. This could explain why your charge times are over 3x as long.

If you have your stock USB cable that came with your Nexus 5, try testing it with that to see if there is an improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bradputt
Old
#3  
bradputt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 763
Join Date: Jun 2010
Mine charges at 600mA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
 
hOrnizuka
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradputt View Post
Mine charges at 600mA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
My Nexus 5 charges at roughly 1000mA with its wall charger. So I guess wireless will be 40% less efficient...
 
mmmmBACON
Old
#5  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 587
Posts: 626
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrnizuka View Post
My Nexus 5 charges at roughly 1000mA with its wall charger. So I guess wireless will be 40% less efficient...
Depends on the Qi charger and its output. Efficiency is generally around 70 - 75%.

I have a few 1A Qi chargers, and they charge at roughly 740 - 760mA when charging at full speed.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes