How fast is Qi charging?

OP Felchy

13th January 2014, 01:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 17

67 posts
More
I received the Nillkin Magic Disk charger I ordered a few days ago.

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?
13th January 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #2  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 1,005

806 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felchy

I received the Nillkin Magic Disk charger I ordered a few days ago.

It's the first wireless charger I have owned or tried. I have the disk connected to what is supposed to be a 5V / 2A adapter.

It took 7 hours to fully charge my Nexus 5 from 6% with the Magic Disk. This seems like way to long to me and if it's normal, this severely limits the usefulness of wireless charging. Neither the charger nor the phone seemed to get warm at all during charging

How fast is wireless charging supposed to be? Does this vary between different types of Qi chargers?

Should be much faster than that, about half an hour longer than stock wired charging with the Nexus 5 adapter/cable.

~2.5 to a little over 3 hours depending on the charger.

If you are using a decent 2A adapter with your charger, it may be your USB cable. Some cables out there are quite crap and despite using a high amp adapter will keep the settings as USB (as if you're plugged into a computer port) and charge at around 500mA max if you're lucky.

In your case, the USB cable may be doing that, and severely underpowering your Qi charger, which will end up charging your phone at like 300 - 350mA. Stock wired by the way charges at ~1050mA by comparison. This could explain why your charge times are over 3x as long.

If you have your stock USB cable that came with your Nexus 5, try testing it with that to see if there is an improvement.
Last edited by mmmmBACON; 13th January 2014 at 01:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 132

900 posts
Mine charges at 600mA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
13th January 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradputt

Mine charges at 600mA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

My Nexus 5 charges at roughly 1000mA with its wall charger. So I guess wireless will be 40% less efficient...
13th January 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #5  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 1,005

806 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrnizuka

My Nexus 5 charges at roughly 1000mA with its wall charger. So I guess wireless will be 40% less efficient...

Depends on the Qi charger and its output. Efficiency is generally around 70 - 75%.

I have a few 1A Qi chargers, and they charge at roughly 740 - 760mA when charging at full speed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread