Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Looking for a fast wireless charger

OP nitramus

26th April 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Looking around I found that pretty much all wireless chargers output only 1A when the official Nexus wireless charger outputs 1.8A but it is expensive.
Anybody know of other wireless chargers with at least 1.5A output and similar size. Not those 2x or 3x sizes.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th April 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #2  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 999
 
806 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus

Looking around I found that pretty much all wireless chargers output only 1A when the official Nexus wireless charger outputs 1.8A but it is expensive.
Anybody know of other wireless chargers with at least 1.5A output and similar size. Not those 2x or 3x sizes.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Just FYI you need to be careful when looking at Input vs Output. The Nexus Wireless Charger is using a 1.8A input from the AC Adapter, but outputs the same 1A as all the others. There are no faster Qi chargers, 1A is the highest output available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmBACON

Just FYI you need to be careful when looking at Input vs Output. The Nexus Wireless Charger is using a 1.8A input from the AC Adapter, but outputs the same 1A as all the others. There are no faster Qi chargers, 1A is the highest output available.

Here are the specs I found http://pocketnow.com/2014/03/18/nexu...ging-accessory
http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...s-charger-2013

I just emailed google now I will know. I'm starting to think you are right.
Last edited by nitramus; 26th April 2014 at 10:30 PM.
26th April 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Here is the official response from google.
"The Nexus wireless charger draws 9W power (input) and outputs 1.8 amps."
26th April 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #5  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 999
 
806 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus

Here is the official response from google.
"The Nexus wireless charger draws 9W power (input) and outputs 1.8 amps."

That's nice of them to give you false information...

They are confusing the Output of their AC Adapter, with the Output of the Qi Pad itself. You should reply to them and ask for the specific distinction between the two because they are clearly giving you wrong information (or more likely just regurgitating what the website tells them).

You can do a search here on XDA (many people have it). It does not output 1.8A, it is powered by 1.8A.

Here is the charging diagram from the Anandtech Nexus 5 review.

Quote:

Notice how the charging time is slower than the stock AC Adapter, yet the power draw is higher? The stock AC Adapter is 1.2A. The Wireless Charger is drawing the higher current from the wall adapter (1.8A) and outputting the standard 1A from the Qi Pad, and less to the phone, hence the longer charging time.
Last edited by mmmmBACON; 26th April 2014 at 11:43 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Thanks for that article and definitive proof.
Now since you seem to know a lot about this is there one you would suggest?
Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th April 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #7  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,471
 
24,575 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Also bear in mind that Qi charging is inefficient so even though it outputs at 1mA, it will be charging slower than a wired charger at the same output.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #8  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 999
 
806 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus

Thanks for that article and definitive proof.
Now since you seem to know a lot about this is there one you would suggest?
Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well it really depends on your personal preference. They all essentially perform exactly the same as long as you have them powered properly. So it's really just up to your aesthetic design choices and how much you're willing to spend.
27th April 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
197 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Sorry incorrect thread...deleted post.
Last edited by ritzxda; 27th April 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Incorrect thread

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes