Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 42,678 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mime Feather Glass - Adhesive on both sides?

Tip us?

theirlaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Mime Feather Glass - Adhesive on both sides?

I just received my Mime Feather glass in the mail and went to apply the thing. This is my second Mime Feather glass, and the installation of the first went flawlessly, so I wasn't expecting anything different this time around.

After a little wrangling, I manage to position the glass to my satisfaction. I then removed the "step two" piece of plastic to reveal the front of the glass and it turns out that it is partially adhesive as well??? I'm totally stumped and I've already contacted Mime and am awaiting their response, but has anyone else experienced this before?

The glass I received was a replacement for my first Mime Feather glass which developed a hairline crack in under five months of use. The phone wasn't dropped or anything and I've had both the glass and a Diztronic case on the phone since it came out of the box. I don't know why the glass cracked, but Mime agreed to give me 50% off and free shipping on a replacement.

Just a heads up for anyone else considering the product.

theirlaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I just wanted to update this thread to inform anyone who is considering purchasing a glass protector from MIME.

First off, I determined what the issue was. It turns out that the glass they sent me was actually two pieces of glass which were fused together. I don't know how or with what they were fused together with, but they were. With the two pieces fused together, I was left with two pieces of glass with the adhesive side of each piece of glass facing outward (one on the phone and one which my fingers would touch). Once I figured out that it was two pieces of glass, I managed to peel away the outer piece, but it took significant force to separate the two. Whatever held the two pieces of glass attached to each other was strong enough that it easily lifted the glass that was applied to the phone and likely deformed it. Ultimately, I have a single glass applied to the phone but there are bubbles all over the place due to separating the two pieces of glass.

I attempted to contact MIME regarding the issue and all they've done is ask for photos of the issue when I've already explained that the piece of the glass that was facing outward is in the garbage and the piece of glass that is on the phone looks like any other glass except for the air bubbles that resulted from the force required to separate the two pieces. At this point, I doubt I'll be getting a replacement.

I guess I'm updating this as a warning to potential future customers. My first MIME glass developed a crack in it after five months of use. The phone was never dropped or came into contact with any sharp objects. I loved the glass at first - so much that I recommended it to a friend. His glass developed a crack as well shortly after mine. MIME agreed to ship me a replacement for 50% off. I took the offer, but quite honestly after only five months of use, I expected a free replacement. Now I'm being asked to prove that what I'm saying is true about the fused pieces of glass and by the sounds of things, I'm not going to be entitled to a replacement.