Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 + AirMobi iReceiver = Wifi in Car

Tip us?
 
mcnoggin
Old
(Last edited by mcnoggin; 18th March 2014 at 09:23 PM.)
#1  
mcnoggin's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Nexus 5 + AirMobi iReceiver = Wifi in Car

Just wanted to post this set-up because it works pretty smoothly:

picture link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4K...it?usp=sharing
This box basically creates a wifi network and then sends (lossless) audio out via an 1/8 in. audio output:

http://www.amazon.com/iReceiver-Wi-F.../dp/B00I0Z427E

I'm using Airstream (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtunes.android), which I've found works better than AirAudio.

I'm also running a Tasker sequence, so when the Wifi box boots up, the Nexus 5 automatically opens my music app and sets the system volume to an appropriate level.

All in all, it's pretty smooth.

I think it's worthwhile for at least two reasons: 1) you can charge your phone without getting that ugly interference with an audio cable plugged in. 2) it's much louder than the output of the nexus 5 itself, so it's basically like having an amp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnoggin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Pseud0logik
Old
#2  
Pseud0logik's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 43
Join Date: Aug 2010
How is the audio quality compared to BT?

Nexus 5 - PA+Franco (T-Mobile)
Nexus 7 (2012) - Stock
 
mcnoggin
Old
#3  
mcnoggin's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud0logik View Post
How is the audio quality compared to BT?

Bluetooth sound is highly compressed and the audio quality is slightly degraded. the advantage to wifi is that it is basically lossless.

for more:

http://wrensound.com/should-my-wirel...tooth-or-wifi/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnoggin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Pseud0logik
Old
(Last edited by Pseud0logik; 19th March 2014 at 01:27 AM.)
#4  
Pseud0logik's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 43
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnoggin View Post
Bluetooth sound is highly compressed and the audio quality is slightly degraded. the advantage to wifi is that it is basically lossless.

for more:

http://wrensound.com/should-my-wirel...tooth-or-wifi/
I was looking for more of a subjective comparison. I've tried both BT and wired audio side-by-side in my car, and while I can hear a difference, it's not enough of one to convince me to give up the convenience of BT. If you've compared BT and wifi directly and find them to be dramatically different, then this solution might be perfect for me.

Nexus 5 - PA+Franco (T-Mobile)
Nexus 7 (2012) - Stock
 
mcnoggin
Old
#5  
mcnoggin's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud0logik View Post
I was looking for more of a subjective comparison. I've tried both BT and wired audio side-by-side in my car, and while I can hear a difference, it's not enough of one to convince me to give up the convenience of BT. If you've compared BT and wifi directly and find them to be dramatically different, then this solution might be perfect for me.
Well I haven't really used Bluetooth in my car for music, only for phone calls. But I would imagine that the Wifi sound quality difference would be audible. There was a noticeable difference between using the Nexus 5 headphone output into my car stereo aux input and streaming from the Nexus 5 to the AirMobi box into the same aux input. The Wifi sound was louder and had much more low-end.

I should warn you, though, that the AirMobi is configured in such a way that you can't access mobile data when you are connected to the wifi network. I don't really mind this, because incoming calls still come through; but you can't, for example, check your email while connected to the AirMobi. If having access to mobile data while streaming wifi audio is important to you, there is this option, which is more expensive and a bit clunkier, but will fix this problem:

http://airenabler.qnology.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnoggin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
roshga
Old
#6  
roshga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 502
Posts: 592
Join Date: Sep 2010
Looks interesting.
Could you please try using the AllCast app and check if that works with this device?
 
D3_
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 411
Posts: 1,226
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
I've never streamed music over wifi before, is it possible to set this as the default playback device? I'm also getting a wireless charger for my car, I'd like to be able to have the phone automatically play music over that wifi thing when it's wirelessly charging if possible.
 
mcnoggin
Old
#8  
mcnoggin's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3_ View Post
I've never streamed music over wifi before, is it possible to set this as the default playback device? I'm also getting a wireless charger for my car, I'd like to be able to have the phone automatically play music over that wifi thing when it's wirelessly charging if possible.
If you have a rooted phone, you can send all phone audio via wifi using an app like AirStream or AirAudio. That's how I have it set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcnoggin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mcnoggin
Old
#9  
mcnoggin's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshga View Post
Looks interesting.
Could you please try using the AllCast app and check if that works with this device?
Just tested this. Yes, it works with AllCast.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcnoggin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes