Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,977 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rhino Shield Review

Tip us?

CubicU07
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Rhino Shield Review

Got my Rhino Shield in the mail today and promptly applied it. Here's a short review of my experience with it thus far.

Fit
Coming from a Spigen Ultra Clear, which fit the Nexus 5 screen perfectly, I would say the Rhino Shield is not very accurately cut. It doesn't cover the glass entirely and this makes the application a bit more difficult as you struggle to center the protector on the glass such that hole on the screen protector aligns with the speaker hole. I gave up after a few tries and left the screen protector slightly misaligned to the right.

Furthermore, I noted that the curved edges (top and bottom) of the screen protector does not have the same curvature as the phone. It was slightly less curved than the phone, but doesn't cause any issues as the protector was cut smaller than the screen anyway.

Touch
After applying the Rhino Shield, I kept experiencing touch issues where the screen had issues tracking my swipes and multi-touch. Swipes in the app drawer would accidentally launch applications and trying to zoom in and out in the camera app using pinch zoom often triggered the camera settings circle menu instead.

Not sure if I need to let the protector settle or something as the protector is relatively thicker than normal polymer screen protectors. Will update again if touch responsiveness improves.

Conclusion
All in all, the Rhino Shield was quite a bit of a disappointment for me. The fit was not the level of quality I would expect from such a highly priced polymer/plastic screen protector, especially after having to remove a relatively fresh piece of Spigen Ultra Clear to make way for it.

Also, being tough and offering superb shatter resistance is pretty much meaningless if it causes issues with the touchscreen.

Spectral8x
Old
Thanks Meter 3
No pictures??
LG G2x
[ OWAINS CM9 DOMINATION BUILD 78 ]
[ INCLUDED KERNEL ]

jahmon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicU07 View Post
I would say the Rhino Shield is not very accurately cut. It doesn't cover the glass entirely and this makes the application a bit more difficult as you struggle to center the protector on the glass such that hole on the screen protector aligns with the speaker hole. I gave up after a few tries and left the screen protector slightly misaligned to the right.

Furthermore, I noted that the curved edges (top and bottom) of the screen protector does not have the same curvature as the phone. It was slightly less curved than the phone, but doesn't cause any issues as the protector was cut smaller than the screen anyway.
I saw some pictures of the rhino shield on a nexus 5 here: http://m.imgur.com/a/DsSqP
it seems to me like the fit/cut is near perfect. Maybe there is an issue with yours... You should contact them with a picture of your problem.

FloppyDrive
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I would not be surprised if they used a Spigen Glass.t Slim to cut the Rhino Shield because it has the exact same cut. Thankfully Rhino Shield supplies good stickies for removing dust, unlike Spigen. Why, Spigen, why?

The Rhino Shield really shouldn't be compared to the Spigen Ultra Clear which offers minimal protection...and people who are "glass only" must have had some bad experiences with Zagg shields.

CubicU07
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Removed the shield. The touch problems made it impossible for me to keep it on. So much for my money.

FloppyDrive
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicU07 View Post
Removed the shield. The touch problems made it impossible for me to keep it on. So much for my money.
I tapped two fingers all around my screen and always got the zoom ui. I suppose there are variations in the manufacturing process.

CubicU07
Old
(Last edited by CubicU07; 22nd November 2013 at 07:29 AM.) Reason: Fixed typo
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyDrive View Post
I tapped two fingers all around my screen and always got the zoom ui. I suppose there are variations in the manufacturing process.
Not sure... I had some suspicions that it might have been my phone... but once I removed the Rhino Shield and put my Spigen Ultra Clear back on, touch was flawless again.

jjjooonnn
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wow, this sounds horrible. I ordered one after mentions on XDA about it. I really hope yours is a rarity, sorry about your loss.

Call/Email them, for the money they should make good on their product.

Anyone else having this problem?

WingnutStrikesBack
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I dont know but i have zero of the problems you mention here?

My rhino shield fits perfectly and i have no touch issues.

I love this protector. The surface is like glass and no fingerprints like with the cheap protectors

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

munsterrr
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Hmmm. Strange how the majority of negative reviews I've seen around here are from accounts that are brand new or have super low post counts. I would definitely take these with a grain of salt. Keep an eye out for reviewers credibility before forming personal opinions.

No.....I dont work for Rhino, lol.
Can I get a hot dog water on the rocks?

The Following User Says Thank You to munsterrr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]