5,606,588 Members 34,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 charging time measurements

Tip us?

soleen
Old
(Last edited by soleen; 3rd December 2013 at 03:31 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Nexus 5 charging time measurements

I recently bought PowerBoot wireless charger based on excellent reviews on Amazon. However, the first review claimed that this pad charges Nexus 5 faster than using wired charger. I thought it is a suspicious claim, and therefore decided to perform my own experiments.

I used Battery Tasker App to setup sound alarms when battery drops bellow 20% and when it reaches charged state (100%). This way I was able to measure the exact time it takes to charge phone from 19% to 100% using different methods. In experiments during charging screen was kept off, BT was off, WiFi was on. No applications were running except for regular google services and Battery Tasker. The conditions of this experiment should be easy to reproduce by anyone, so if someone has a different hardware to test, i.e.: Official Google wireless charger please perform the test and post in this thread. I will add the results into this table:

Noticed, that table below is not formated right on Tapatalk, therefore, create a copy as spreadsheet:
Charging Time Table, spreadsheet copy

Code:
                     Nexus 5 Charging
---------------------------------------------------------
|              |Measurement from Kill A Watt|           |
|              |----------------------------|           |   
|Test          |No phone| Start| End|Charged|Charge Time|
|--------------|--------|------|----|-------|-----------|
|LG1.2A        | 0W     |  ?   | ?  | ?     | ?         |
|PG2.4A        | 0W     |  2W  | 2W | 2W    | 3h39m     |   
|HP3.0A        | 0W     |  9W  | 1W | 1W    | 1h15m     |   
|PB1020+LG1.2A | 0W     |  ?   | ?  | ?     | ?         |
|PB1020+PG2.4A | 0W     |  5W  | 3W | 3W    | 2h31m     |   
|PB1020+HP3.0A | 0W     |  6W  | 3W | 3W    | 2h32m     |   
---------------------------------------------------------
LG1.2A
Official LG charger that comes with Nexus 5 (it is rated 1.2 Amp)

PG2.4A
PowerGen 2.4-Amp Charger (non-apple plug used in all experiments)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073FCPSK

HP3.0A
USB charger that came with HP Chromebook 11. It is rated 3.0A and 5.25V. Could not find it for sale online. Model number: MU15-N1052-A00S

PB1020
PowerBot PB1020 Qi Wireless Charging Pad, it is listed to use upto 1.5A:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G9W7PYW

Kill A Watt
device that shows watts and some other info.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MDBU

No phone
What Kill A Watt shows when phone is not attached to adapter, or in wireless charging case, when phone is not on the charging pad, but pad itself is attached to adapter.

Start
Kill A Watt reading when charging just started (at 19%).

End
Kill A Watt reading when charging just reached 100%.

Charged
Kill A Watt reading 10 minutes after phone reached charged state.

Charge Time
Total time to charge from 19% to 100%.

Conclusions
  • LG1.2A and PB1020+LG1.2A
    These experiments are for base only, I will update table with data from these experiments.
  • No phone
    It is very good to see that "No phone" uses 0 Watts in all cases.
  • PG2.4A
    This charger has extremely slow charging rate if connected directly to the phone. In fact I left a bad review on Amazon because of this. I tried two different wires in one case phone thought it was connected to USB, and in another case it recognized this charger as AC, but in both cases charger was providing only 2W.
  • HP3.0A
    This phone has the capability for fast charging! I think this is news. The only problem is that this particular charger is not readily available for
    sale and in process of being recalled. Once Google and HP replaces this charger hopefully the new one will be as powerful, but easier to get. In the first 30 minutes of charging, phone charged full 40% from 19% to 59%! At about 93% charging rate reduced to 3W, and at 100% it went down to only 1W. The phone felt cool right after charge. I think this charger would easily charge 0% to 100% in less than 1h30m.
  • PB1020+PG2.4A
    Seems like a good combination: two and half hours for charging time for wireless charging is a respectable speed. I like the fact that power drops down to only 3W when phone is fully charged.
  • PB1020+HP3.0A
    I think either wireless charging coil in the phone or this particular Qi charger hit the limit. HP3.0A does not show a better performance than PG2.4A connected to PB1020.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soleen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mr. Sprinkles
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Unfortunately the charging chip is current limited to 1.2A over USB and Qi. The fastest it could ever charge the battery from 0-100 is in 2.3 hours. However, I've only ever seen it draw around 900mA while charging, so it's more likely going to take 3 hours. Also, (as you witnessed) there's a ramp down at the end of the charge cycle which increases charge time even more. This pushes us very close to the 3.5 hours LG states it will take to charge from 0-100 in the service manual.

soleen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sprinkles View Post
Unfortunately the charging chip is current limited to 1.2A over USB and Qi. The fastest it could ever charge the battery from 0-100 is in 2.3 hours. However, I've only ever seen it draw around 900mA while charging, so it's more likely going to take 3 hours. Also, (as you witnessed) there's a ramp down at the end of the charge cycle which increases charge time even more. This pushes us very close to the 3.5 hours LG states it will take to charge from 0-100 in the service manual.
Interesting, I believe that PB1020+PG2.4A will charge phone in 3 hours 0 to 100. It charges in 2 hours and 30 minutes 19% to 100%, but the first 19 should go fast, as it is when phone charges the fastest. The charging speed drop start occuring somewhere between 82% and 92%.

kamranhaghighi
Old
Thanks Meter 6
doesn't more current then offical charger(supported) makes the device burn???!!!

also isn't this how i should calculate time taken? (cap/amps) = xhours??
my nexus 4 calc says 2hours its right !!! it always take around 2 hours (well its never fully empty but also we have some losses while charging)
Sweet nexus 4, Rooted!
I dont keep a rom for more than a day ! I always try !