XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 universal magnetic Qi Car Mount

Tip us?

my95z34
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ano59 View Post
I don't know it, but it's not very important. How thick is it ? 1mm ?
Roughly. I'd say 1-1.5. Somewhere in there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

alogblog
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks for all in this thread

I've just finished my magnetic car dock.

I didn't check magnetic force carefully, just felt the strength and used that arragement.

Instead, I make a use of the arms of the mount. My arm of the mount doesnt clip the phone, it just hold the phone.

My last edition has bottom and right arms in the mount, so I can place the phone in landscape or portrait.

And owing to arms, magnetic force can be less strong.

Anyway, after some road(bumper) test, I will post my DIY and some various charging test result( different magnets and displacement)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140305_181219.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2618125  

alogblog
Old
Thanks Meter 0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2675362

I wrote my steps in above post. I will be glad if you get helped.

Ano59
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alogblog View Post
Instead, I make a use of the arms of the mount. My arm of the mount doesnt clip the phone, it just hold the phone.
My last edition has bottom and right arms in the mount, so I can place the phone in landscape or portrait.
Haha I got the same chinese holder. The holder is good but the plastic surface where you can attach is doesn't hold it well.
However the suction is good on the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my95z34 View Post
Roughly. I'd say 1-1.5. Somewhere in there.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I can't predict accurately how your phone will react to magnets with your case, but I can provide some guidelines with magnets and official bumper.

This magnet can hold the phone vertically with its official bumper (1mm thick). Not very firmly but if you don't touch the phone it stays held by magnets.
This magnet is stronger for holding vertically the phone with its bumper if you don't push it too much.

So 1/8" x 1/16" (3,175mm x 1,5875mm) cuboid magnets seem to be great with the phone's metal plates. I try to use the thickest magnets so they can hold the phone in a car, but you might want thinner magnets so you can put them easier in your horizontal charging surface. Please note that I only got those thicknesses : 1/32" (7,9375mm), 1/8" (3,175mm) and 3/16" (4,7625mm). I still didn't try 1/32" (7,9375mm) thickness alone but it may be too thin. Maybe 1/16" (1,5875mm) (N52) for your use ?

Anyways you should get 8 magnets and do something similar to this mount (4 x 2 magnets together).

brck
Old
(Last edited by brck; 17th March 2014 at 06:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiq View Post
I really recommend this arrangement!

That are 8 6x4x2 magnets. It should be stronger and have less impact on the coil than those 10x2 magnets!
I'll be more present again after my exams and modify my op
Where can I buy these magnets, and are these the best option available in the opinion of the internets today? I'm searching for these on ebay and I'm coming up with nothing. Just larger 1/2" long magnets.

EDIT: I bet a lot of readers would love to know where to buy the N52 version of these magnets from sources that ship to the US.

brck
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brck View Post
Where can I buy these magnets, and are these the best option available in the opinion of the internets today? I'm searching for these on ebay and I'm coming up with nothing. Just larger 1/2" long magnets.

EDIT: I bet a lot of readers would love to know where to buy the N52 version of these magnets from sources that ship to the US.
Bueller?

brck
Old
(Last edited by brck; 22nd March 2014 at 06:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Bueller?
This is the closest I've been able to find, but it might be smaller than ideal: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B631-N52

They're N52, but quite small.

EDIT: Or perhaps these 10mm x 5mm x 1.75mm: http://www.supermagnetman.net/produc...roducts_id=297

Craiq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:

try this page https://www.hkcm.de/expert.php?language=en
can't find suitable magnets in inches

Ano59
Old
(Last edited by Ano59; 27th March 2014 at 10:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 29
After 3 months I finally build what could be my final car charger with magnetic docking.
Sorry about the lack of news ; much work to do, issues to address...Joys of everyday life.

I took many pictures and I will probably post a walkthrough later. Not before fully testing the charger in real use though (in my car on many road bumps). I hope this time it's actually finished.

EDIT : Seems like it's holding well even with big road bumps. I could have probably made it grip stronger by adjusting the height of Plasti-dip but, hell, it works, so I'll stop here.
I'll post something about how I built it later when I'll have some free time. Before that I would also want to test it while charging (didn't do it ATM).

JCreazy
Old
Thanks Meter 46
If I used 16 5x2mm magnets on my charger, do you think it would hold? I guess I can always install magnets into my case but I would prefer not to.