Default Nite Ize Clip Case Sideways review

I didn't see any information on here on the Nite Ize Clip Case Sideways XL (that's really the product name), so I'd thought I post a quick review.

First, a link to the manufacturer's website and an Amazon.com page:

http://www.niteize.com/product/Clip-Case-Sideways.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-CCSXL...xgy_cps_text_z

Carrying my Nexus 5 - wrapped in an Ionic Guardian case - in my pocket just doesn't work. The phone is just too damn big. Wearing standard 4-pocket jeans, I doubt that I would be able to sit down with the phone in any of the pockets, and a set of keys would probably tear the face of the phone up. I will not wear a fanny pack, no matter how fashionable they are. Short of having a tailor sew an extra cargo pocket on all my trousers and shorts, I needed to find a better solution.

The Nite Ize Sideways XL definitely fits the Nexus 5 WITH the Ionic cover. It's a horizontal-carry only case. The case has elastic sewn-in the ends to check to the phone's horizontal movement; the phone lightly touches these stops, and horizontally it's a good fit. the vertical height of the case is about 1/4" (7mm) proud with the phone in and the velcro closure (more on that in a bit) centered; the case could be a 1/4" vertically shorter for a perfect fit, but there is some adjustment in the closure, so I can live with it. This case will probably fit most, if not all, Nexus 5 protective covers.

Features:

Colors: Black (purchased), Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity (for dance night, I guess), and Espresso (a dark brown fabric with black trim).

Construction: The fabric appears to be ballistic nylon with faux-leather accents. There's an thin internal pocket on the clip-side of the case that can readily accept credit cards, identification cards, folded currency, etc. The exterior ballistic nylon is backed internally by soft fabric; the case covers the phone completely. The case appears very durable and protective for the phone. With the "lid" of the case closed, the case is locked "solid".

Clip: A fairly wide black plastic clip. It will easily fit a 2" (5 cm) belt. As previously stated this is a horizontal-only case; the clip doesn't rotate. One advantage of the fixed clip is that it creates a much thinner clip. The clip has a hook on the bottom; once it snaps over a belt, it stays put. I've had to fish my other cases (with phones in them) from the seats of cars and chair cushions because the act of sitting-down pushed the case up and off my belt when carried on the small of my back; no issue here.

Closure: Hook-and-loop (Velcro). Either you love Velcro, or you hate it. The folks I know who carry gear on their belts (military, police, rescue workers, corrections officers, etc.) swear by Velcro. I can live with it, it's just a little loud sometimes. It's probably not as loud as my annoying ringtone, so most people never hear the holster opening.

Cost: $13.49 (US), and free Super-Saver shipping.

Gripes: Not really any major gripes. One (minor) gripe would be the lack of a cutout on the bottom of the case so the wearer can push the phone up when pulling the phone from the case. The case is designed to protect the phone, so I can't blame the manufacturer. With the elastic sides and flexible ballistic nylon construction, I can slide my fingers between the interior wall of the case and the phone and pull the phone out of the case easily enough, so it's not really an issue.

Final thoughts: Nite Ize has a good reputation for making tough gear. Read reviews for any of their products; customers love the build quality and durability. It's one of the few options for carrying a hybrid-cased Nexus 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hangover - Nexus 5 Holster.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2563359