Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

What are some good cases & protectors?

OP jerfy

2nd March 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

65 posts
I'm looking for some good cases that give protection. I've never had a case with good protection, like right now I have literally a somewhat hard plastic shell that is still flimsy I also have a standard no name dry screen protector.

I'm wondering what are some cases to look at that offer protection but aren't insanely bulky. I want lightweight to medium protection (I always thought those hardshell + rubber cases were neat). Also any flaws like I saw some cases people said headphone jacks wont fit or gaps that invite dust etc. I don't know about these tempered glass screen protectors but if anyone wants to recommend one too.

Sorry if this is a spam post because I have been sifting around and looking to see what's best but it's hard to read thousands of comments and then the reviews haha.
2nd March 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 51

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerfy

I'm looking for some good cases that give protection. I've never had a case with good protection, like right now I have literally a somewhat hard plastic shell that is still flimsy I also have a standard no name dry screen protector..

I been looking up on the same query, and seems like there are 2 options which got real good feedbacks:

1) Spigen Slim Armor (2 part case: hardshell + silicon)
2) Diztronic TPU case

Gonna read on Supcase as well, but the above two mentioned really have been quite comprehensive.

Spigen
+ Provides excellent protection.
+ Snug fit and top quality product.
- Slight bulk added. (Not too bothersome)
- The back of the phone is rendered flat due to the case design.

The TPU case
+ Provides good protection
+ Next to no bulk added and is like next to having no case at all.
+ It's back is curved, which makes it easier to hold.
- Semi slippery to hold
Last edited by spacescreamer; 2nd March 2014 at 08:16 AM.
2nd March 2014, 09:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacescreamer

I been looking up on the same query, and seems like there are 2 options which got real good feedbacks:

1) Spigen Slim Armor (2 part case: hardshell + silicon)
2) Diztronic TPU case

Gonna read on Supcase as well, but the above two mentioned really have been quite comprehensive.

Spigen
+ Provides excellent protection.
+ Snug fit and top quality product.
- Slight bulk added. (Not too bothersome)
- The back of the phone is rendered flat due to the case design.

The TPU case
+ Provides good protection
+ Next to no bulk added and is like next to having no case at all.
+ It's back is curved, which makes it easier to hold.
- Semi slippery to hold

Hey thanks for the reply! I've heard that the TPU case sometimes has a poor cutouts. Not sure if you have read that either, the slippery holding is worrisome though haha. Is there a specific Spigen case that is the best out of the ones they offer? Let me know what you find out about the Supcase. I'm still browsing around and reading reviews trying to find what is the optimal "overall best" case
2nd March 2014, 09:10 AM   |  #4  
Flag Meridian, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 89

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
Slim Armor is the best.

Black, because it has soft touch.
2nd March 2014, 09:43 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

65 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauenheim

Slim Armor is the best.

Black, because it has soft touch.

How's the ultra hyrbid par up with slim armor? The armor looks like it'd be too bulky like an otterbox
2nd March 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #6  
Flag Meridian, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 89

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's a little bulky but it's not intrusive. The ultra hybrid I bought was a waste of money. Buttons were hard to press. The plastic scratched deep easily (yes the film was off), it also had a gap where a bunch of crap got between the case and the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Beauenheim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 51

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerfy

Is there a specific Spigen case that is the best out of the ones they offer?
Let me know what you find out about the Supcase.Let me know what you find out about the Supcase. I'm still browsing around and reading reviews trying to find what is the optimal "overall best" case

I spoke about a specific Spigen case earlier in my post - Spigen Slim Armor.
There were reports that the earlier batch had issues with the buttons, but seems like the revised case have got the anomaly removed.

Looks like a Fantastic product and i would definitely be inclined to get it.

BUT,
I have not even seen the Diztronic or any other case for that matter. People been impressed with Diztronic, it has been revised as well so the cut outs have been treated after feedbacks. So again, if you want bullet proof protection, go for the Spigen Slim Armor, and if you want a light weight casing, Diztronic is the way to go.

I will read about the Supcase sometime next week maybe. No rush for me as i already got the case delivered. So the supcase reading will be only for information gleaning purposes.
if you find anything worthy, mention it here and gimme a shout
Last edited by spacescreamer; 2nd March 2014 at 05:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacescreamer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #8  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 162

749 posts
Pretty happy with my Slim Armor, though the button covers are very sensitive so my phone has rebooted a few times since I've installed it. Spigen is sending me a replacement TPU inner shell. Going to wrap the outer shell in carbon fibre tonight, will post pics when I'm done, assuming I can do a decent job.
I have a fosmon TPU/plastic shell with holster from amazon for $5 and it's pretty solid. It is a bit bulkier than the Slim Armor but very small, and only in thickness. Great deal for $5, and I use the holster with the slim armor.
2nd March 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #9  
Flag Los Angeles County, California

27 posts
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617182

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
case, nexus5, protector, screen
Previous Thread Next Thread