Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,537 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any car mounts with active cooling?

Tip us?

frigidazzi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default Any car mounts with active cooling?

Has anyone seen a car mount with a built in fan or something? I have been using waze a lot more lately and with that and the streaming it's causing the phone to overheat and discharge after a while of being very hot (plugged in of course). I'm not a big fan of the vent mounts for the location in my car. Anything else?

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I would be interested in something like this as well. I've actually been using the official wireless charger as a mount/charger in the car. I'm sure this won't be a huge issue when it gets colder but during the summer it gets fairly hot if charging+streaming music. I don't think it's a good idea to use a GPS app around this time. I've been trying to direct the A.C on the phone if I'm using it but that's about it.

rancur3p1c
Old
Thanks Meter 71
sounds way more complicated than vent mount with AC on
sorry that won't work for you
The Following User Says Thank You to rancur3p1c For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pyryoer
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't think a manufactured solution exists, but I have an idea for you.

Buy this: htt p:/ /www .amazon. co m/Dual-Micro-Splitter-Charge-Cable/dp/B004IMEN7C

and then follow this instructable: h ttp: //w ww. instructa bles.com/id/USB-Fan-Out-Of-Old-Computer-Fan/

Do what the instructable says on 1 of the 2 micro-usb leads and use the other to charge. It probably wouldn't be hard to fit it on a mount.

Sorry for the spaces, I can't post links yet.

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryoer View Post

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Micro-Spl.../dp/B004IMEN7C

and then follow this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-...-Computer-Fan/

Do what the instructable says on 1 of the 2 micro-usb leads and use the other to charge. It probably wouldn't be hard to fit it on a mount.

I can

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben36 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frigidazzi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryoer View Post

Buy this: htt p:/ /www .amazon. co m/Dual-Micro-Splitter-Charge-Cable/dp/B004IMEN7C

and then follow this instructable: h ttp: //w ww. instructa bles.com/id/USB-Fan-Out-Of-Old-Computer-Fan/

this is actually what I've been working on, but the fan takes up so much room. But I like the idea. keep 'em coming [emoji2]

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I looked up some USB fans on ebay/amazon and found one that is 9.2 cm. so around 3.6 inches. I feel like it still might be a bit too big, and not sure how well it works but I ordered it. I can do a brief review on my setup and if it works well.

atoy74
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Well, the Kenu Airframe is the best car mount I've ever used and since it sits in your air vent, you have really good passive cooling. Just throwing that out there.
----------------------
PHONE-
Moto X - Stock
Nexus 4 (2nd go around) - CM Nightlies

TABLET-
Nexus 7 LTE 2nd 32GB
Nexus 7 3G 32Gb (retired)
Transformer Prime 32GB (retired)

The Following User Says Thank You to atoy74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]