Replica Nexus 4 Bumper Case Review: Old Hotness is the New Hotness!

Search This thread

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
ZnKeXGA.jpg

Where to buy:

$6.99 - Replica Nexus 4 Bumper Case for the Nexus 5

Alternate Sellers (in case your colour choice is not available):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-7-Colors-NEW-Metal-TPU-Frame-Bumper-Cover-Case-For-LG-Goole-Nexus-5-/360898185809?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=630259271784&hash=item5407354a51
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Metal-TPU-Frame-Bumper-Cover-Case-For-LG-Goole-Nexus-5-7-Colors-for-choice-/321373805938?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=510260397981&hash=item4ad35f1d72
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Metal-New-TPU-Frame-Bumper-Cover-Case-For-LG-Goole-Nexus-5-/271469986797?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=570317942443&hash=item3f34df43ed

For UK Residents:

I had a lot of people asking where I bought this bumper from, so I figured I might as well do it justice and give a full review of it. I think I’m finally pretty happy with all of the accessories that I’ve got now, since I’ve bought so much for this phone already. I don’t think I’ve ever stockpiled this much stuff dedicated to one device before. So this will probably be my last review thread as I think that might be it.

As I mentioned in the transparent bumper case review thread, the options for a decent bumper case on the Nexus 5 are pretty crap. To put it bluntly, the vast majority of bumper cases out there for the Nexus 5 are trash. They look like crap, they feel like crap, the button feedback sucks, and the protection is substandard. You might as well just go naked as most available bumpers don’t offer much. Some come close to being pretty good cases, but still have some rather large flaws. It seems nobody really considered making a decent bumper case for the Nexus 5, instead focusing on TPU/Hybrid/Hardcases.

I guess the market for strictly true bumper cases isn’t very large, but there are people who would still like a true bumper case. Since I started putting skins on the back of my phone, a bumper was the best option. I still prefer minimalism (and would still be using the Quicksand hardcases if I didn’t put a skin on), so I opted not to have a normal case with a clear plastic window on the back as that would add too much bulk for my liking.

That’s where the Replica Nexus 4 Bumper comes in. When I initially saw it though, I dismissed it based on pricing alone! I mean who honestly would pay $25+ for a then unproven “Replica” of a last generation phone’s bumper case?

Not me!

no-hell-no.gif

I wouldn’t pay $25+ for any case, even if it was a big brand name. No piece(s) of plastic, regardless of what brand is stamped on it, is worth that price to me. The $0.99 Quicksand hardcases and semi-transparent hardcases also proved that you can have fantastic (IMO even better) cases for dirt cheap in comparison to the same style cases of the bigger brands (eg: Spigen Ultra Fit/Ringke Slim/Google Snap Case).

But enough ranting (sorry my bad, that was quite a long one…)

A little while later, the bumper dropped to something more reasonable, less than 1/4 of the price it was originally going for! Then I figured, “What the hell, why not? It’s only $6.99 now.”

And then… What turned out to be the best Nexus 5 bumper case was on its way.

upyy8kB.jpg

“We have to go back!!”

So, it’s kind of funny that with all of these other bumper cases out for the Nexus 5 (I’ve bought a bunch and only put a review up for one other bumper as the rest just plain sucked), that my favorite would turn out to be not a new design, but an old design that was made for the Nexus 4! I guess that old saying of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” really holds true here. I will say it. This replica Nexus 4 bumper case, is the best bumper case you will find for the Nexus 5. Take an old design, stretch it out a bit, slap it on the Nexus 5, WIN!

Materials and Build Quality:

XgbCW4g.jpg

tH23uzm.jpg

This bumper case is made of a two piece construction. The black portion is a very flexible yet hard (dense not rigid) TPU. It’s durable, and from the rather massive tumble my phone took after being knocked out of my hand, offers great drop protection too! The gray/silver portion is a flexible hard plastic that seems to have just as much bend to it as the TPU portion. Both together absorb impacts pretty well and from the looks of it, despite landing and bouncing around on pavement, only scuffed up the silver finish on the hard plastic with no other visible damage whatsoever to the case, and more importantly, the phone is still pristine! You can think of this two piece construction along the lines of other hard and soft combo cases like the Spigen Neo Hybrid, minus the back.

8INpFHS.jpg

The black TPU portion also has a texture with a ton of little indentations for a nice feel. Your fingers will like it. It adds a lot of grip and gives it an overall nicer look than just having the standard flat TPU. The TPU is also a matte finish, so there won’t be any visible fingerprints on the bumper. This is true for the hard plastic as well. Since it isn’t a shiny finish, and sticks to gray/silver, fingerprints don’t show.

Proper buttons are such a welcome addition!!

3l2UCFj.gif

Most cases just have buttons that are part of the mold or holes that are cut out.

With regards to the first type, when the button is just a part of the mold, most times the tactile feedback is almost nonexistent. You don’t know if you’ve pressed anything, or the button double presses, or sometimes it just doesn’t work at all… When it is just a cut out hole, unless it is a thin case, a lot of the times the proportions become out of whack and it feels like you have to dig your finger in to press the button, or sometimes you miss the location completely. Neither is a problem with this bumper case! The buttons here are real additional buttons inserted in the plastic frame!!

The feels baby, the feels!

There is a nice tactile feedback. The buttons are loose but not giggly/rattle loose. And the most important part, when you press the button, it feels like a damn button! It clicks when it’s supposed to click, and you know it clicks. It works and feels just the way it should. You’d be surprised how so many case manufacturers get this wrong with their cases...

5iK0Wtk.jpg

I1r23pd.jpg

Fit and Feel in Hand:

dxl5K22.jpg

The bumper fits the phone like a glove. There are no gaps, it isn’t loose, and the phone doesn’t move around in the case. It fits perfectly and feels solid in the hand. That’s not to say that it’s so tight that you can’t take it off if you needed to. It does take a bit of wiggling, but it does come off without too much difficulty. All you need to do is stretch out a corner first, pop out the corner of the phone, and then the rest slips right out, no problems.

The bumper does add a bit of girth to the sides, top, and bottom of the phone. This is unavoidable of course, as all cases (unless it’s a snap on hardcase) will have to add some bulk. Despite it adding a bit to the width, the phone still feels good in the hand and doesn’t feel very bulky. This is because there is no back to the case, so the phone still feels thin in the hand even though it’s wider! So unlike other cases that can make it seem like you have a brick in your hand instead of a phone because of both extra width and thickness, this one still feels good. You can still feel the slight rounded back of the Nexus 5 and the overall profile is still pretty thin.

lOXnZmC.jpg

The part that can be a bit annoying, and I guess this goes for a lot of cases out there, is the headphone cutout. The case was designed to only accommodate thin earbud style headphones with the thin input jack. This tends to happen with a lot of cases, and while it kind of sucks, it’s not a deal breaker. I guess they assume most people will just use earbuds, but I like using a proper set of headphones sometimes and it would have been nice to have a bigger hole (all case manufacturers should take this into consideration).

I did resort to buying an extension adapter cable that is thin and fits in the hole. Then I just plug my headphones into the adapter cable and all is well. I wish I didn’t have to do that though, but it isn’t too much of a hassle.

MLwI1Oq.jpg

Protection:

Well of course being a bumper case it has to you know... protect from bumps and such. So does it fare well? I did mention earlier that the phone was knocked out of my hand and took a big fall and tumbled along the pavement. The bumper performed like a champ! The phone is still perfect, and there is very minimal damage done to the case, just scuffed paint. There are no dents, cracked plastic, or broken off pieces of TPU; the case is still pretty much in tip top shape. So in terms of drop protection, it’s all good!

6T8wRCS.jpg

There is a nice lip over the front of the phone for those of you who do the phone face down on a table thing. It is also good to note that the lip accommodates tempered glass screen protectors very well (and I assume plastic ones as well). You can see from the pic above that the lip perfectly presses against all sides of the glass screen protector but doesn’t lift it in any way. So for those of you who want additional protection for your screen, you won’t have any problems with this case messing with your screen protector. The lip, while high, doesn’t impede swiping at all. You can still easily swipe your fingers from the sides and screen feedback isn’t affected.

Another concern is the lift on the back. Being a bumper case, people may think the back still scrapes against the table, or that the camera might still scratch against things. Well you don’t have to worry. The top lip of the case lifts the phone up high enough that there is a nice gap between the phone and the table. You can see in the photos below how the top lip of the bumper case gives it a nice space. You can even see the camera lens hovering over the table. So don’t worry, the lens is lifted and the back of the phone won’t get scratches either. You may think that the sides help in lifting the phone, but the gap between the phone and the table is created entirely from the top and bottom lips of the bumper only.

TCxgPrI.jpg

yjXgCDT.jpg

In the last pic you can see better the nice lip at the top which is higher than the camera, the nice bottom lip as well, and the sides keeping a thin profile to keep the phone feeling slim overall.

V4Xa2Bb.jpg

Conclusions:

This is an easy one!

G5zCgFG.jpg

How to remove the bumper:

Some people were having a bit of difficulty removing the bumper case from the phone as it is a nice and snug fit. So here is a video demo of what I do when I take it off.

Last edited:

varunthapliyal999

Aug 8, 2010
Dehradun
^ Agreed.After seeing his phone I am now planning to order this case and a skin for my phone.And I actually ordered a special debit card cause the one I had didn't work for international transactions. :p

Reactions: mmmmBACON

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't like this guy. He keeps posting great reviews and makes me buy **** I don't really need. Not cool dude.

Haha, sorry dude!

This is probably going to be my last review thread though anyway, as I don't think I'll be buying anymore accessories for this phone. At least all of the accessories I made reviews for are not very expensive! They won't break the bank.

^ Agreed.After seeing his phone I am now planning to order this case and a skin for my phone.And I actually ordered a special debit card cause the one I had didn't work for international transactions. :p

Nice! Be sure to post some pictures when you have it all put together.

Reactions: spicydicy

AHomelessGuy

Oct 21, 2012
There weren't any problems putting the case with a dbrand skin on the back right? I have the white version of this case and I'm going to apply my dbrand back cover soon and was wondering if you had any trouble putting it on (i have dbrand matte frames on right now on mine)

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
great!! thank you for this review...

i have this bumper too! is the best real bumper that i have bought

Yeah! It really is a fantastic bumper. By far the best out of all the bumpers I've bought.

There weren't any problems putting the case with a dbrand skin on the back right? I have the white version of this case and I'm going to apply my dbrand back cover soon and was wondering if you had any trouble putting it on (i have dbrand matte frames on right now on mine)

If it's just a back skin, there are no problems fitting the bumper on. The fit is pretty much perfect though on a naked phone, when I had side skins on, the bumper wouldn't fit. It would rub against the sides of the skin and start peeling it off.

I suggest if you are going to use this bumper, then remove the side skins from the phone first.

Nuke142

Nov 11, 2012
Bought one.
Hope it would be better with Mahogani dbrand skin.
Spigen Utlra Hybrid is a piece of crap for me.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this the same as the one that's on amazon by "notch it"??

Yeah, notch it is reselling the same cases on amazon for more than double the price.

another great review. You make it difficult to make a decision.

You should be a professional salesman, if you aren't already.

Hah, thanks bud!

Not a salesman though, I'm a P.E Teacher/student (with too many breaks between classes). Just a nerdy one I guess that might be in the wrong field! :laugh:

Last edited:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
They do make cases with clear backs that add very little bulk. The Ringke Fusion Crystal View case is a perfect example. I'm just very paranoid about scratching the back. I want maximum resale value.

Well it's not just the bulk thing for me. I'm not the biggest fan of clear plastic windows on the back. They are fingerprint magnets, and my hands tend to be moist a lot of the time. And once you get scratches on the plastic, the window looks like crap when it's marked up. I also kind of think it just looks tacky with a clear window. Just personal preference (not trying to knock you purchase or anything).

With the bumper, the back of the phone is lifted off of the table so there won't be any scratches as there is no contact. And with a skin on the back of the phone, if by chance anything did scrape, it would be the vinyl skin and not the back of the phone that got marked up. Despite it not looking like it offers much, the combo of skin + bumper + tempered glass on the front is giving me fantastic overall protection, and I prefer the feel and thinness that the case with no back provides.

Last edited:

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
And once you get scratches on the plastic, the window looks like crap when it's marked up.

That's the whole point. Better that the case get scratched than the phone. What do I do once the phone gets scratched? Get a new back? I can always get a new case for real cheap. If you don't like them, that's OK. But as mentioned earlier, to me resale value is important.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
That's the whole point. Better that the case get scratched than the phone. What do I do once the phone gets scratched? Get a new back? I can always get a new case for real cheap. If you don't like them, that's OK. But as mentioned earlier, to me resale value is important.

It scratches the plastic because the back of the case is generally in contact with the table or surface. This bumper, if you saw all of the pics, raises the back of the phone off of the table making a nice gap. You don't scratch the back because the back of the phone is lifted. The skin also gives additional protection, and IMO looks better overall. Resale value is the same as the bumper lifts by a good margin and the skin gives additional scratch protection.

I understand you're all about resale, but you get just as good protection with this bumper and adding in the skin makes it that much more appealing to me without having to look through a plastic window. As much as possible, I went for protection, without sacrificing overall aesthetics. I love the look of the bumper + skin + tempered glass, and the thinness remains while still having all of the protection of a normal case. I bought the phone for me, I want to enjoy how it looks and feels in my hand.

Again, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not knocking your purchase, and I'm happy you enjoy your case. That style of case is just not appealing to me is all.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For UK Residents:

I had a lot of people asking where I bought this bumper from, so I figured I might as well do it justice and give a full review of it. I think I’m finally pretty happy with all of the accessories that I’ve got now, since I’ve bought so much for this phone already. I don’t think I’ve ever stockpiled this much stuff dedicated to one device before. So this will probably be my last review thread as I think that might be it.

As I mentioned in the transparent bumper case review thread, the options for a decent bumper case on the Nexus 5 are pretty crap. To put it bluntly, the vast majority of bumper cases out there for the Nexus 5 are trash. They look like crap, they feel like crap, the button feedback sucks, and the protection is substandard. You might as well just go naked as most available bumpers don’t offer much. Some come close to being pretty good cases, but still have some rather large flaws. It seems nobody really considered making a decent bumper case for the Nexus 5, instead focusing on TPU/Hybrid/Hardcases.

I guess the market for strictly true bumper cases isn’t very large, but there are people who would still like a true bumper case. Since I started putting skins on the back of my phone, a bumper was the best option. I still prefer minimalism (and would still be using the Quicksand hardcases if I didn’t put a skin on), so I opted not to have a normal case with a clear plastic window on the back as that would add too much bulk for my liking.

That’s where the Replica Nexus 4 Bumper comes in. When I initially saw it though, I dismissed it based on pricing alone! I mean who honestly would pay $25+ for a then unproven “Replica” of a last generation phone’s bumper case?

Not me!

no-hell-no.gif

I wouldn’t pay $25+ for any case, even if it was a big brand name. No piece(s) of plastic, regardless of what brand is stamped on it, is worth that price to me. The $0.99 Quicksand hardcases and semi-transparent hardcases also proved that you can have fantastic (IMO even better) cases for dirt cheap in comparison to the same style cases of the bigger brands (eg: Spigen Ultra Fit/Ringke Slim/Google Snap Case).

But enough ranting (sorry my bad, that was quite a long one…)

A little while later, the bumper dropped to something more reasonable, less than 1/4 of the price it was originally going for! Then I figured, “What the hell, why not? It’s only $6.99 now.”

And then… What turned out to be the best Nexus 5 bumper case was on its way.

upyy8kB.jpg

“We have to go back!!”

So, it’s kind of funny that with all of these other bumper cases out for the Nexus 5 (I’ve bought a bunch and only put a review up for one other bumper as the rest just plain sucked), that my favorite would turn out to be not a new design, but an old design that was made for the Nexus 4! I guess that old saying of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” really holds true here. I will say it. This replica Nexus 4 bumper case, is the best bumper case you will find for the Nexus 5. Take an old design, stretch it out a bit, slap it on the Nexus 5, WIN!

Materials and Build Quality:

XgbCW4g.jpg

tH23uzm.jpg

This bumper case is made of a two piece construction. The black portion is a very flexible yet hard (dense not rigid) TPU. It’s durable, and from the rather massive tumble my phone took after being knocked out of my hand, offers great drop protection too! The gray/silver portion is a flexible hard plastic that seems to have just as much bend to it as the TPU portion. Both together absorb impacts pretty well and from the looks of it, despite landing and bouncing around on pavement, only scuffed up the silver finish on the hard plastic with no other visible damage whatsoever to the case, and more importantly, the phone is still pristine! You can think of this two piece construction along the lines of other hard and soft combo cases like the Spigen Neo Hybrid, minus the back.

8INpFHS.jpg

The black TPU portion also has a texture with a ton of little indentations for a nice feel. Your fingers will like it. It adds a lot of grip and gives it an overall nicer look than just having the standard flat TPU. The TPU is also a matte finish, so there won’t be any visible fingerprints on the bumper. This is true for the hard plastic as well. Since it isn’t a shiny finish, and sticks to gray/silver, fingerprints don’t show.

Proper buttons are such a welcome addition!!

3l2UCFj.gif

Most cases just have buttons that are part of the mold or holes that are cut out.

With regards to the first type, when the button is just a part of the mold, most times the tactile feedback is almost nonexistent. You don’t know if you’ve pressed anything, or the button double presses, or sometimes it just doesn’t work at all… When it is just a cut out hole, unless it is a thin case, a lot of the times the proportions become out of whack and it feels like you have to dig your finger in to press the button, or sometimes you miss the location completely. Neither is a problem with this bumper case! The buttons here are real additional buttons inserted in the plastic frame!!

The feels baby, the feels!

There is a nice tactile feedback. The buttons are loose but not giggly/rattle loose. And the most important part, when you press the button, it feels like a damn button! It clicks when it’s supposed to click, and you know it clicks. It works and feels just the way it should. You’d be surprised how so many case manufacturers get this wrong with their cases...

5iK0Wtk.jpg

I1r23pd.jpg

Fit and Feel in Hand:

dxl5K22.jpg

The bumper fits the phone like a glove. There are no gaps, it isn’t loose, and the phone doesn’t move around in the case. It fits perfectly and feels solid in the hand. That’s not to say that it’s so tight that you can’t take it off if you needed to. It does take a bit of wiggling, but it does come off without too much difficulty. All you need to do is stretch out a corner first, pop out the corner of the phone, and then the rest slips right out, no problems.

The bumper does add a bit of girth to the sides, top, and bottom of the phone. This is unavoidable of course, as all cases (unless it’s a snap on hardcase) will have to add some bulk. Despite it adding a bit to the width, the phone still feels good in the hand and doesn’t feel very bulky. This is because there is no back to the case, so the phone still feels thin in the hand even though it’s wider! So unlike other cases that can make it seem like you have a brick in your hand instead of a phone because of both extra width and thickness, this one still feels good. You can still feel the slight rounded back of the Nexus 5 and the overall profile is still pretty thin.

lOXnZmC.jpg

The part that can be a bit annoying, and I guess this goes for a lot of cases out there, is the headphone cutout. The case was designed to only accommodate thin earbud style headphones with the thin input jack. This tends to happen with a lot of cases, and while it kind of sucks, it’s not a deal breaker. I guess they assume most people will just use earbuds, but I like using a proper set of headphones sometimes and it would have been nice to have a bigger hole (all case manufacturers should take this into consideration).

I did resort to buying an extension adapter cable that is thin and fits in the hole. Then I just plug my headphones into the adapter cable and all is well. I wish I didn’t have to do that though, but it isn’t too much of a hassle.

MLwI1Oq.jpg

Protection:

Well of course being a bumper case it has to you know... protect from bumps and such. So does it fare well? I did mention earlier that the phone was knocked out of my hand and took a big fall and tumbled along the pavement. The bumper performed like a champ! The phone is still perfect, and there is very minimal damage done to the case, just scuffed paint. There are no dents, cracked plastic, or broken off pieces of TPU; the case is still pretty much in tip top shape. So in terms of drop protection, it’s all good!

6T8wRCS.jpg

There is a nice lip over the front of the phone for those of you who do the phone face down on a table thing. It is also good to note that the lip accommodates tempered glass screen protectors very well (and I assume plastic ones as well). You can see from the pic above that the lip perfectly presses against all sides of the glass screen protector but doesn’t lift it in any way. So for those of you who want additional protection for your screen, you won’t have any problems with this case messing with your screen protector. The lip, while high, doesn’t impede swiping at all. You can still easily swipe your fingers from the sides and screen feedback isn’t affected.

Another concern is the lift on the back. Being a bumper case, people may think the back still scrapes against the table, or that the camera might still scratch against things. Well you don’t have to worry. The top lip of the case lifts the phone up high enough that there is a nice gap between the phone and the table. You can see in the photos below how the top lip of the bumper case gives it a nice space. You can even see the camera lens hovering over the table. So don’t worry, the lens is lifted and the back of the phone won’t get scratches either. You may think that the sides help in lifting the phone, but the gap between the phone and the table is created entirely from the top and bottom lips of the bumper only.

TCxgPrI.jpg

yjXgCDT.jpg

In the last pic you can see better the nice lip at the top which is higher than the camera, the nice bottom lip as well, and the sides keeping a thin profile to keep the phone feeling slim overall.

V4Xa2Bb.jpg

Conclusions:

This is an easy one!

G5zCgFG.jpg

How to remove the bumper:

Some people were having a bit of difficulty removing the bumper case from the phone as it is a nice and snug fit. So here is a video demo of what I do when I take it off.

I don't like this guy. He keeps posting great reviews and makes me buy **** I don't really need. Not cool dude.
    i bought this case, the only problems ive been having is unless its the OEM it might fall out easily or not even fit at all. and this one happened the other day, i was taking the case off to clean the phone and realized it was tougher than expected. after the case was finally removed i realized the back panel had unhinged itself and i could see the internals of the phone, a quick snap pushed it back together but since then i have to be extra careful removing it for fear that it'll rip the back plate off completely. i purchased it from amazon.

I saw your post and decided to make a video on how I remove the bumper. I haven't had any problems at all with it being too tight or anything. The bumper fits nice and snug, but it's still easy enough to remove. I've added it to the OP, but I'll just link it here too.

Just got this bumper yesterday, as soon as I put it on, I had a familiar feeling...

At first I couldn't recognise what that was, but it felt...familiar.. then I realised it. OF COURSE! GALAXY NEXUS!!!!!!!

This case feels so much like the galaxy nexus, the side metal frame has that feeling of gnex body to it! And the buttons are absolutely fantastic, they sit exactly on top of the original buttons, so you never loose the clicking feel!

The main issue I have with this bumper case though, is it's width. Along with the phone's 69mm, this adds a substantial 5mm width, making it close to a little over the 74mm mark. This makes it a little wider than I would've preferred, also the screen seems like it has double the amount of bezel that it did before. And this'll sound odd, but the 5 inch screen now seems...smaller (!) I'll hopefully get used to it though, as I love the look and feel of it.

So just a word of caution, if you're okay with the width increase, only then should you purchase this. Everything else is top notch!
    My bumper with a dbrand skin
    8uvu9ebe.jpg

Sorry for the quality, I took the picture with my nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk