XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Scosche magicMOUNT Magnetic Mount

Tip us?

dankoman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1645
Default Scosche magicMOUNT Magnetic Mount

Check this out... works great with Nexus 5. I modified mine a bit so I could adapt it to work with my existing RAM mount setup on my dash, but I am pleased with the results.

One thing to note, however - the mount comes with a couple of steel plates, one of which normally needs to be mounted inside a case. If you don't use a case, you don't need a plate because the Nexus 5 has four steel discs built into the back cover already that the magnet in the magicMOUNT is more than powerful enough to hold on to. If you do use a case, you're going to have to use one of the plates because the added thickness moves the built-in steel discs too far away from the magnet for a good grip. If you use wireless charging, do not install the plate in the center of the case as it will block the induction coils and wireless charging will not work. Instead, offset the plate to one end like I did.

You can get this directly from Scosche for $19.99 plus shipping at http://www.scosche.com/magicmount and there are currently three different variations to choose from. Okay, on to the pics:

This is called the search box. It is your friend. Don't be afraid to ask it questions.
Hammerhead Slim TWRP

hOrnizuka
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Does it block NFC?

dankoman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrnizuka View Post
Does it block NFC?
not where i positioned it.

This is called the search box. It is your friend. Don't be afraid to ask it questions.
Hammerhead Slim TWRP

PsychDrummer
Old
(Last edited by PsychDrummer; 6th February 2014 at 08:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48
Looks like most of them are sold out. I was actually interested in the power one. I know it probably makes more sense to use a wireless charger, but in case I don't need to charge my phone I can just use the magnet to hold my phone. Plus the price isn't bad. It says 15-16 weeks delivery though....

Edit: Just called them up and the power mount is a new product. So I guess we have to wait 4 months.

zydus
Old
Thanks Meter 8
All this needs is a qi charger built in and it will be the perfect car mount.
Devices
- HTC Dream (OG Android)
- HTC Magic
- HTC Sensation 4G
- Asus Transformer Prime
- LG Nexus 4
- LG Nexus 5

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Ok, luckily I checked and the one you bought is back in stock. @dankoman, how long did the shipping take? I'm also from Philly. I chose the USPS shipping though, so I guess it depends which shipping you bought.

dankoman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer View Post
Ok, luckily I checked and the one you bought is back in stock. @dankoman, how long did the shipping take? I'm also from Philly. I chose the USPS shipping though, so I guess it depends which shipping you bought.
2 days with the cheapest shipping option.

Hammerhead Slim TWRP

PsychDrummer
Old
(Last edited by PsychDrummer; 8th February 2014 at 05:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankoman View Post
2 days with the cheapest shipping option.
Oh ok that's pretty quick. And they shipped it out right away? I suppose I will prob have to wait a bit longer since I ordered it on a Friday evening. Also, how many different steel plates did it come with? And since the magnet plate sticks to the back of the N5 if putting it inside the case, does that make it hard to take off the case?

petard
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydus View Post
All this needs is a qi charger built in and it will be the perfect car mount.
Just rig up a mount for the official Nexus 5 Qi charger. It works perfect. I adhered it right above my radio's LCD, the phone attaches firmly. I've had it like this for a month and it's never fallen off. Wrote some tasker scrips to make it truly awesome.

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I don't understand...at first it said the one you had was sold out. The following day it said it was back so I ordered it. Now I checked and it said pre-order only and it will ship in two weeks...that's kind of BS.