Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,490 Members 44,437 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal on top of a Mountain

Tip us?

TerkyTime
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Signal on top of a Mountain

Special use case. I am trying to get a signal when summitting 14ers (really high mountains). The current method is to send a guy up with a Verizon phone and a few other WiFi hotspots and cross our fingers that he catches signal for a few minutes.

I've scoured the web and can't seem to find any information on this. The Wilson Portable seems like it has the right idea, but is clearly designed for a car use situation. Should I be looking into using a Wilson Sleek with a larger external antenna and improvised battery backpack? Or perhaps there is a software trick to increase the power to the 2g radio? I'm really all ears.

I would love to figure out a way to simply slide my Nexus 5 in a case of sorts with a ~3ft collapsible antenna on the top. Would this work? Does it need to be in physical contact with the actual antenna, or could it just be in contact with the backplate?

I really hope someone has an idea on this subject. I find it so hard to search for!

Thanks again,
Matt

SquallLHeart
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Ingress? lol

Yeah.. I wouldn't have much of an answer since with any booster, there needs to be a signal to boost.

I've thought of using your idea with a booster and a portable battery, but have field tested it yet.