Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Simple magnetic/wireless charging car dock made for under $50. Works with cases!

Tip us?

karmadragon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Phone Simple magnetic/wireless charging car dock made for under $50. Works with cases!

Hello. I have put together a simple way of making a car dock that is both magnetic and wireless charging. I made these docks using parts from Amazon, and the design is strong enough to hold and charge my phone through a pretty thick case. I'm posting this thread to show off what I have made, and to gauge people's interest in these car docks.

Since these don't seem to really exist on the market yet, I'm also considering refining the design and possibly collaborating with someone to mass produce and sell these docks. I refined the design so they are simple as possible to make, and can post a tutorial if people are interested.

Here are the products I used. Total cost under $50:

DigiYes® USB POWERQI Qi Wireless Charger
10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48
Aduro U-GRIP PLUS Universal Car Mount

So far I have made three mounts while experimenting with the fabrication process. The first one actually used a peanut butter jar lid and 10 magnets to hold my phone without any support (no pictures of this one). It was functional, but ugly as sin. Subsequent mounts I used the original casing from the charging coil, and simplified the process and cost/strength of magnets by adding a base support. Here are the results:

Not bad for a little bit of drilling and super glue (which I always make a mess of). Because of the way I came across parts, I only used a single "grip" as the base for resting the phone, however using both grips for a wider base might feel better when docking the phone. It's also possible to use even stronger N52 magnets and skip the base altogether, to give your phone the effect of "floating" on the dock.

The drilled holes are 1/2" and have to be close together as possible (without overlapping) in order to fit 4 magnets between the interior screws that hold the charging coil in place (inside the case, not visible). I used a rusty spade bit which was terrible and had a bad habit of tearing off more than it should. To make the mount look as clean as possible, I'd recommend using a more clean cutting bit, maybe something like this which will grind through the plastic without catching or tearing.

Well anyway I hope you guys like it and show some interest. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you for reading!

mr3army
Old
(Last edited by mr3army; 28th February 2014 at 09:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Interesting position of magnets and size of them. How many mA you get charging? Also what case you using?

runningwarrior08
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I made something like this and it worked well. I should however be getting this in next week http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-air-dock

I'm excited for it. It's magnetic and also membrane grip and looks pretty nice.

karmadragon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3army View Post
Interesting position of magnets and size of them. How many mA you get charging? Also what case you using?
The charger is rated for 1A wireless charging, and that seems to be accurate. Is there a more accurate measurement I can pull from the phone? The case is Caseology Premium Shock Absorbent TPU Bumper Case and it's pretty thick in the back. It picks up the wireless coil okay, but I would need stronger N52 magnets to hold it up without a base (which I thought I ordered, but accidentally got n48 instead).

mr3army
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadragon View Post
The charger is rated for 1A wireless charging, and that seems to be accurate. Is there a more accurate measurement I can pull from the phone? The case is Caseology Premium Shock Absorbent TPU Bumper Case and it's pretty thick in the back. It picks up the wireless coil okay, but I would need stronger N52 magnets to hold it up without a base (which I thought I ordered, but accidentally got n48 instead).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cc71.bmw&hl=en