Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,981 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SlimPort + v1.4 HDMI Cable w/ Ethernet

Tip us?
 
blowfly7012
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 12
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default SlimPort + v1.4 HDMI Cable w/ Ethernet

I've just received the Analogix SlimPort HDMI adapter (SP1003) for my Nexus 5 and it works fantastically with my short 1-2 metre HDMI cables.

However, if I try a 10 metre cable, the display cycles between on and off every few seconds.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's the length of the cable or if it's the cable's version. My shorter cables are most probably version 1.3 HDMI cables. The 10m one is 1.4 with ethernet.

I've read somewhere that HDMI cables with ethernet do not work with SlimPort. Is that correct? Should I order an older 1.3 version? I'm thinking 10m is a bit excessive anyway and I'll probably go for 3 to 5 metres this time anyway. But I didn't want to order one with ethernet and experience the same problem!
 
myself11
Old
#2  
myself11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 290
Posts: 1,218
Join Date: Oct 2009
I have a 3m 1.4a HDMI cable and experience the exact same situation. Same happened with a MHL 1.0 adaptor I tried with SG Note 3, so I concluded the cable is just to long for a phone to provide signal. But I'm not sure about this.
Nexus 5 - Ipad Air - Kindle PW 2
 
paradoxiumwind
Old
#3  
paradoxiumwind's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 95
Posts: 829
Join Date: Jul 2012
I have a hdmi 1.4w/ethernet cable that I use with my slimport. About 2m I think. No problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Replying to me? Quote my post so I get a notification please - thanks!
Nexus 5 32gb - [4.4.4] SlimKat 7.2.1 [6090] [WEEKLY] / ElementalX-N5-1.04 / TWRP v2.7.1.1 Holofied Recovery
 
dave2metz
Old
#4  
dave2metz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 173
Posts: 1,141
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clearwater, Florida
I have been wanting to buy a longer hdmi cable for my Analogix SlimPort SP1003. After reading a couple posts, I'm not sure if a longer cable will work as well.

NEXUS 5
ADDICTED TO XDA SINCE 2010

- NEXUS 5 -
 
mau1960
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 22
Join Date: Jan 2014
I don't suggest to use a cable longer that 2m.
 
charesa39
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 135
Posts: 408
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfly7012 View Post
I've just received the Analogix SlimPort HDMI adapter (SP1003) for my Nexus 5 and it works fantastically with my short 1-2 metre HDMI cables.

However, if I try a 10 metre cable, the display cycles between on and off every few seconds.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's the length of the cable or if it's the cable's version. My shorter cables are most probably version 1.3 HDMI cables. The 10m one is 1.4 with ethernet.

I've read somewhere that HDMI cables with ethernet do not work with SlimPort. Is that correct? Should I order an older 1.3 version? I'm thinking 10m is a bit excessive anyway and I'll probably go for 3 to 5 metres this time anyway. But I didn't want to order one with ethernet and experience the same problem!
If you don't mind me asking, from where did you pick up your Analogix SlimPort? It looks like it's only available from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for $50, and I can't find any other reputable sellers that still sell it for it's original $30 price (or preferably lower ). Thanks.
 
blowfly7012
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 12
Join Date: Aug 2010
So I sent the 10m cable back and ordered the cheapest 3m cable I could find from Amazon UK here. It doesn't even say what version it is, so I assumed it was 1.3 without ethernet.

I got lucky as this cable works perfectly. No dropouts at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, from where did you pick up your Analogix SlimPort? It looks like it's only available from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for $50, and I can't find any other reputable sellers that still sell it for it's original $30 price (or preferably lower ). Thanks.
I got my adapter from Amazon UK here for around 20 ($30) as I live in the UK. I can't seem to find the same one on amazon.com. One of the cheaper ones might be just as good as the adapter is only passive anyway.
 
gd6noob
Old
(Last edited by gd6noob; 9th May 2014 at 01:58 PM.)
#8  
gd6noob's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 130
Posts: 998
Join Date: Apr 2011
Anyone heard/tried Kanex SLIMPORT




Apparently it supports
Easily display and share your videos, photos, games and more from your Google Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 to an HDTV with high resolutions up to 4K picture quality and full digital audio surround sound


Another MicroUSB to charge your device while its plugged in your device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPlF698feI#t=12
64GB Sandstone Black OnePlus One - Rooted
 
toxicpaulution
Old
#9  
toxicpaulution's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 364
Posts: 1,815
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lykens

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob View Post
Anyone heard/tried Kanex SLIMPORT




Apparently it supports
Easily display and share your videos, photos, games and more from your Google Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 to an HDTV with high resolutions up to 4K picture quality and full digital audio surround sound


Another MicroUSB to charge your device while its plugged in your device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPlF698feI#t=12
Reading through their website they have some crappy editorial skills, so I'm not gonna trust them. Looks fishy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Twik Keeps Your Accounts Secure with Randomly Generated Passwords

If youre one of thosewho find it just an impossible task to keep trackof … more

Moto G 4G Receives Official CyanogenMod 11 Love

When theMoto Gwas initially released to the world in November of last year,very few actually … more

Get Your Tasks Organized on Android Wear with Agenda Wear

Having a checklist of things you need to do is something we all can find useful at … more

Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more