Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 38,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SlimPort + v1.4 HDMI Cable w/ Ethernet

Tip us?

blowfly7012
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default SlimPort + v1.4 HDMI Cable w/ Ethernet

I've just received the Analogix SlimPort HDMI adapter (SP1003) for my Nexus 5 and it works fantastically with my short 1-2 metre HDMI cables.

However, if I try a 10 metre cable, the display cycles between on and off every few seconds.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's the length of the cable or if it's the cable's version. My shorter cables are most probably version 1.3 HDMI cables. The 10m one is 1.4 with ethernet.

I've read somewhere that HDMI cables with ethernet do not work with SlimPort. Is that correct? Should I order an older 1.3 version? I'm thinking 10m is a bit excessive anyway and I'll probably go for 3 to 5 metres this time anyway. But I didn't want to order one with ethernet and experience the same problem!

myself11
Old
Thanks Meter 306
I have a 3m 1.4a HDMI cable and experience the exact same situation. Same happened with a MHL 1.0 adaptor I tried with SG Note 3, so I concluded the cable is just to long for a phone to provide signal. But I'm not sure about this.
Lumia 930 - Ipad Air - Kindle PW 2

paradoxiumwind
Old
Thanks Meter 101
I have a hdmi 1.4w/ethernet cable that I use with my slimport. About 2m I think. No problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Replying to me? Quote my post so I get a notification please - thanks!
Nexus 5 32gb - [4.4.4] SlimKat 7.8 [6269] [WEEKLY] / franco.Kernel - r63 / TWRP v2.7.1.1 Holofied Play Recovery / Custom Google UI

dave2metz
Old
Thanks Meter 174
I have been wanting to buy a longer hdmi cable for my Analogix SlimPort SP1003. After reading a couple posts, I'm not sure if a longer cable will work as well.

NEXUS 5
ADDICTED TO XDA SINCE 2010

- NEXUS 5 -

mau1960
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I don't suggest to use a cable longer that 2m.

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfly7012 View Post
I've just received the Analogix SlimPort HDMI adapter (SP1003) for my Nexus 5 and it works fantastically with my short 1-2 metre HDMI cables.

However, if I try a 10 metre cable, the display cycles between on and off every few seconds.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's the length of the cable or if it's the cable's version. My shorter cables are most probably version 1.3 HDMI cables. The 10m one is 1.4 with ethernet.

I've read somewhere that HDMI cables with ethernet do not work with SlimPort. Is that correct? Should I order an older 1.3 version? I'm thinking 10m is a bit excessive anyway and I'll probably go for 3 to 5 metres this time anyway. But I didn't want to order one with ethernet and experience the same problem!
If you don't mind me asking, from where did you pick up your Analogix SlimPort? It looks like it's only available from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for $50, and I can't find any other reputable sellers that still sell it for it's original $30 price (or preferably lower ). Thanks.

blowfly7012
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
So I sent the 10m cable back and ordered the cheapest 3m cable I could find from Amazon UK here. It doesn't even say what version it is, so I assumed it was 1.3 without ethernet.

I got lucky as this cable works perfectly. No dropouts at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, from where did you pick up your Analogix SlimPort? It looks like it's only available from a 3rd party seller on Amazon for $50, and I can't find any other reputable sellers that still sell it for it's original $30 price (or preferably lower ). Thanks.
I got my adapter from Amazon UK here for around 20 ($30) as I live in the UK. I can't seem to find the same one on amazon.com. One of the cheaper ones might be just as good as the adapter is only passive anyway.

gd6noob
Old
(Last edited by gd6noob; 9th May 2014 at 01:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 132
Anyone heard/tried Kanex SLIMPORT

Apparently it supports
Easily display and share your videos, photos, games and more from your Google Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 to an HDTV with high resolutions up to 4K picture quality and full digital audio surround sound

Another MicroUSB to charge your device while its plugged in your device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPlF698feI#t=12
64GB Sandstone Black OnePlus One - Rooted

toxicpaulution
Old
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd6noob View Post
Anyone heard/tried Kanex SLIMPORT

Apparently it supports
Easily display and share your videos, photos, games and more from your Google Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 7 to an HDTV with high resolutions up to 4K picture quality and full digital audio surround sound

Another MicroUSB to charge your device while its plugged in your device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPlF698feI#t=12
Reading through their website they have some crappy editorial skills, so I'm not gonna trust them. Looks fishy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk