How Open Source Can Help Your Project w/ Ethan Yonker – BABBQ2014

People have finally recovered from this years Big Android BBQ … more

Add Frequency Bands to Your Qualcomm Device

Those of you who travel quite a bit undoubtedly own more than one device due to frequency band … more

More Android 5.0 Details Revealed, Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker – XDA TV

Google talks more about Android 5.0 Lollipop! That and much … more

Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Stock Nexus 5 Charger Current Output

OP bushako

15th March 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 284

1,123 posts
More
I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Q&A or in Accessories considering its a topic regarding the charger. If it doesn't belong here then (Mods) please move it.

Anyways, it says on the charger that it outputs 1200mAh to the phone and yet in the CurrentWidget it reads the current output in the range of 30~280mAh but not more than that, this is also backed up by the fact that its taking very long to charge the phone, upto 5hours to complete a charge to 100%. This was not an issue before as it normally use to take apprx 2hours to charge. I've tested a Samsung Galaxy S3 charger, using the Nexus stock cable, which in comparison outputted around 800~1000mAh which seems close to its specs. Any idea if its time to replace the charger or is this normal for you? I've only had the phone for about 2months now.
15th March 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #2  
SoNY
Thanks Meter: 156

1,619 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Q&A or in Accessories considering its a topic regarding the charger. If it doesn't belong here then (Mods) please move it.

Anyways, it says on the charger that it outputs 1200mAh to the phone and yet in the CurrentWidget it reads the current output in the range of 30~280mAh but not more than that, this is also backed up by the fact that its taking very long to charge the phone, upto 5hours to complete a charge to 100%. This was not an issue before as it normally use to take apprx 2hours to charge. I've tested a Samsung Galaxy S3 charger, using the Nexus stock cable, which in comparison outputted around 800~1000mAh which seems close to its specs. Any idea if its time to replace the charger or is this normal for you? I've only had the phone for about 2months now.

Replace it, the stock gives me about 800-1000mAh as well. The Nexus 7 charger gives me the same. Don't know if it's the wire or not, but sounds like your charger is starting to crap out.
15th March 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 34

222 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako

My phone charges for about 1,5 hours. Are you charging via USB?
15th March 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dubai

1,123 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubichinon

My phone charges for about 1,5 hours. Are you charging via USB?

No im using the adaptor that came with the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdviper

Replace it, the stock gives me about 800-1000mAh as well. The Nexus 7 charger gives me the same. Don't know if it's the wire or not, but sounds like your charger is starting to crap out.

But that really sucks coz its not even that old. What a way for LG to cut corners with low quality charger. This never happened with me before.
15th March 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #5  
Maui, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 12

73 posts
More
Is the phone being used at all during charging?

And was the measured output consistently that low?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
16th March 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dubai

1,123 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native89

Is the phone being used at all during charging?

And was the measured output consistently that low?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I used it briefly while charging with only Battery Monitor Widget open to monitor the situation. Then I put it to sleep and let it charge. The current was consistently within the low range. I've checked battery health, capacity and voltage and its in good working capacity.
Either way there's not much I can do with a charger other than to replace it. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread