Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 40,753 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Nexus 5 Charger Current Output

Tip us?
 
bushako
Old
#1  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 1,050
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai
Default Stock Nexus 5 Charger Current Output

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Q&A or in Accessories considering its a topic regarding the charger. If it doesn't belong here then (Mods) please move it.

Anyways, it says on the charger that it outputs 1200mAh to the phone and yet in the CurrentWidget it reads the current output in the range of 30~280mAh but not more than that, this is also backed up by the fact that its taking very long to charge the phone, upto 5hours to complete a charge to 100%. This was not an issue before as it normally use to take apprx 2hours to charge. I've tested a Samsung Galaxy S3 charger, using the Nexus stock cable, which in comparison outputted around 800~1000mAh which seems close to its specs. Any idea if its time to replace the charger or is this normal for you? I've only had the phone for about 2months now.
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.
 
xdviper
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 154
Posts: 1,612
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Q&A or in Accessories considering its a topic regarding the charger. If it doesn't belong here then (Mods) please move it.

Anyways, it says on the charger that it outputs 1200mAh to the phone and yet in the CurrentWidget it reads the current output in the range of 30~280mAh but not more than that, this is also backed up by the fact that its taking very long to charge the phone, upto 5hours to complete a charge to 100%. This was not an issue before as it normally use to take apprx 2hours to charge. I've tested a Samsung Galaxy S3 charger, using the Nexus stock cable, which in comparison outputted around 800~1000mAh which seems close to its specs. Any idea if its time to replace the charger or is this normal for you? I've only had the phone for about 2months now.
Replace it, the stock gives me about 800-1000mAh as well. The Nexus 7 charger gives me the same. Don't know if it's the wire or not, but sounds like your charger is starting to crap out.
Nexus 4&5
Nexus 7 (2013)
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 
Ubichinon
Old
#3  
Ubichinon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 218
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Q&A or in Accessories considering its a topic regarding the charger. If it doesn't belong here then (Mods) please move it.

Anyways, it says on the charger that it outputs 1200mAh to the phone and yet in the CurrentWidget it reads the current output in the range of 30~280mAh but not more than that, this is also backed up by the fact that its taking very long to charge the phone, upto 5hours to complete a charge to 100%. This was not an issue before as it normally use to take apprx 2hours to charge. I've tested a Samsung Galaxy S3 charger, using the Nexus stock cable, which in comparison outputted around 800~1000mAh which seems close to its specs. Any idea if its time to replace the charger or is this normal for you? I've only had the phone for about 2months now.
My phone charges for about 1,5 hours. Are you charging via USB?
 
bushako
Old
#4  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 1,050
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubichinon View Post
My phone charges for about 1,5 hours. Are you charging via USB?
No im using the adaptor that came with the phone.





Quote:
Originally Posted by xdviper View Post
Replace it, the stock gives me about 800-1000mAh as well. The Nexus 7 charger gives me the same. Don't know if it's the wire or not, but sounds like your charger is starting to crap out.
But that really sucks coz its not even that old. What a way for LG to cut corners with low quality charger. This never happened with me before.
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.
 
Native89
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 70
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Is the phone being used at all during charging?

And was the measured output consistently that low?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
bushako
Old
#6  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 1,050
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native89 View Post
Is the phone being used at all during charging?

And was the measured output consistently that low?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I used it briefly while charging with only Battery Monitor Widget open to monitor the situation. Then I put it to sleep and let it charge. The current was consistently within the low range. I've checked battery health, capacity and voltage and its in good working capacity.
Either way there's not much I can do with a charger other than to replace it. Any suggestions?
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more