5,595,815 Members 34,840 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: If your screen protector has chipped or bubbled, which brand did you use?
Spigen 39 20.74%
MIME 16 8.51%
Nillkin 28 14.89%
Glass-M 8 4.26%
Other 29 15.43%
Nope, mine's fine! 68 36.17%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Tempered Glass Screen Protector Quality (ALL brands)

Tip us?

b.spec
Old
(Last edited by b.spec; 27th February 2014 at 08:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Default Tempered Glass Screen Protector Quality (ALL brands)

There's an ongoing discussion on which brand of tempered glass screen protectors are the best value, but I'm curious which ones have been most prone to chips and bubbles. I've had this problem with the Spigen GLAS.t and am looking to replace it. I'm not willing to sink $30+ for something that will just chip within several weeks. I'm very careful with my N5 and I have 6 chips that have magically appeared over the past couple months.

Your votes are appreciated =) If you haven't encountered any issues, details like which screen protector you have and for how long (this is important) would be helpful. Cheer!

EDIT: To help get more definitive information, please try to post details that reveal the following:
BRAND (Spigen, etc.)
MODEL (GLAS.tR, etc.)
PROBLEM(S) (# of chips or bubbles, none, etc.)
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN USING IT

EDIT2: Here's a list of the tempered glass screen protectors and their thickness, please let me know if I need to correct or add anything:

SPIGEN
MIME
NILLKIN
GLASS-M
  • Slim - 0.33mm
  • Nano Slim - 0.2mm (note: you can select the Slim and Ultra Slim from the drop down)
  • Ultra Slim - 0.15mm

AMZER
CRUZERLITE
SEIDIO
iLOOME
ANKER

Caniv
Old
Thanks Meter 4
nilkin anti explosion is 9h, 0.3mm and KICKS ASS
love it
cheap
strong
ships world wide

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 175
You could ask for experiences of those who've owned and used the product for a month or two. It's common to see people on within a week singing praises but things don't always go so well with cheap glass over time.
W32

eyeisdasteve
Old
Thanks Meter 189
I got the Spigen Glas.Tr and it had a chip in it on day 1. Ended up cracking across the screen.

I emailed their customer service 11 days ago and still haven't gotten a response.

Pretty upset.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If I have helped you in any way, click thanks

b.spec
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
You could ask for experiences of those who've owned and used the product for a month or two. It's common to see people on within a week singing praises but things don't always go so well with cheap glass over time.
Yeah this is my thinking too. The first few weeks I had mine I LOVED it, but ask me today and I wouldn't recommend it. If anyone who hasn't had any problems with their screen protector mention how long they've used it for, that would be helpful =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeisdasteve View Post
I got the Spigen Glas.Tr and it had a chip in it on day 1. Ended up cracking across the screen.

I emailed their customer service 11 days ago and still haven't gotten a response.

Pretty upset.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
My GLAS.t is cracked across the screen too, twice! Sad to hear the tR has issues as well since Spigen claims the rounded corners help a lot more with chipping.

tkoreaper
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Using the mime feather with a Ballistic case and the right top and bottom corners started cracking for some reason. I also have a crack from left to right in the center of the screen that doesn't even touch the corner cracks. Not very happy. This is my first slim-design glass protector and first time using MIME, but I never had any problems with my Spigen.

tdawg2k7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've had the mime ghost with a spigen neo hybrid for over a month now. No cracks at all. Tiny bubbles only when case is on. The case is very tight fitting, so the corners rise up a little. No problems with the screen protector itself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

silentkry
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i'm on my second mime ghost glass and it's paired up with the spigen slim. both were chipped and the second one has a scratch on it as well.

KTT16
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Spigen glas.tr here.I haven't had any issues yet... I've been lucky, but I baby the **** out of my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
LG Nexus 5
ROM: Stock
Kernel: Franco

Caniv
Old
Thanks Meter 4
can the people stating the have cracking issue also say how thick the glass is? maybe if you can edit that question into the main thread, we'll find a trend =?