Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 48,968 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ways to potentially hide/remove scratches on the Nexus %

Tip us?

Avidgamer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone Ways to potentially hide/remove scratches on the Nexus %

Well, I've had my nexus 5 for little over 2 months now, and the screen is just covered with surface scratches. It's really annoying as I have never dropped the phone, or left it in my pocket with my keys, nevertheless, despite my best efforts the screen is riddled in micro scratches only visible in the sun. Is there any way I can remove these easily? or could I use a screen protector to hide them? Also, isn't gorilla glass 3 supposed to be scratch resistant, because from what I've seen it's really not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidgamer View Post
Well, I've had my nexus 5 for little over 2 months now, and the screen is just covered with surface scratches. It's really annoying as I have never dropped the phone, or left it in my pocket with my keys, nevertheless, despite my best efforts the screen is riddled in micro scratches only visible in the sun. Is there any way I can remove these easily? or could I use a screen protector to hide them? Also, isn't gorilla glass 3 supposed to be scratch resistant, because from what I've seen it's really not.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Since you posted in this section and didn't use a (?), I thought you where providing a magic product to erase scratches

You can hide/reduce visibility of some or many of them with a screen protector but not all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ritzxda
Old
Thanks Meter 33
+1 to above. Matte screen protector helps a bit. Depends if it's your thing though.

Avidgamer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUGUITOMTG4 View Post
Since you posted in this section and didn't use a (?), I thought you where providing a magic product to erase scratches

You can hide/reduce visibility of some or many of them with a screen protector but not all.
Sorry about that, but yeah, i think I may pick up one of those invisible shields, but these scratches are quite thin and light. so who knows i guess we'll wait and see.

bushako
Old
Thanks Meter 266
For microscratches pretty much any screen protector will do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.

jacknicholson
Old
Thanks Meter 350
I'll echo the above sentiments. I had (well, have) a barely noticeable, yet nonetheless aggravating scratch, about a centimeter in length, toward the bottom of my display. A regular plastic (non-matte) screen protector solved that issue, as well as completely hiding a giant 'permanent' smudge caused by my oleophobic coating wearing off (but that's another story). So you'll hopefully be good to go.

timothyung
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Metals don't scratch glass. Sand particles do.
If the tiny scratches that can only be viewed at a certain angle under strong light when the screen is off irritate you that much, you may have to use a plastic screen protector and change it every 3 days, or a glass protector and change it every few months.
Gorilla Glass 3 is already the most scratch-resistant thing you can normally get for your phone. Any protectors will scratch worse than it.
There is no way to remove the scratches without damaging the oleophobic layer. A way to "remove" the scratch is to use toothpaste, but that actually scratches the sides of the scratch to "flatten" it. The oleophobic layer will be damaged and you will leave bad smudges on that area.

The best way is to buy a Nexus 5 front frame from eBay and replace it.

bushako
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung View Post
you may have to use a plastic screen protector and change it every 3 days

The best way is to buy a Nexus 5 front frame from eBay and replace it.
Wow isnt 3days too often? I would say with a good quality screen protector it should at least be good for 3-6months.

Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.

timothyung
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
Wow isnt 3days too often? I would say with a good quality screen protector it should at least be good for 3-6months.

Glass protectors yes, but no matter how good quality a plastic screen protector is, the hardness is still only 4H max, meaning micro scratches can build up pretty soon. I mean those tiny, tiny scratches that you can hardly notice unless under the sun.

Tags
lg nexus 5, scratches, screen, screen protector