Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Ways to potentially hide/remove scratches on the Nexus %

OP Avidgamer

30th April 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Well, I've had my nexus 5 for little over 2 months now, and the screen is just covered with surface scratches. It's really annoying as I have never dropped the phone, or left it in my pocket with my keys, nevertheless, despite my best efforts the screen is riddled in micro scratches only visible in the sun. Is there any way I can remove these easily? or could I use a screen protector to hide them? Also, isn't gorilla glass 3 supposed to be scratch resistant, because from what I've seen it's really not.

Any help would be much appreciated.
1st May 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #2  
GUGUITOMTG4's Avatar
Senior Member
GuGuPlace
Thanks Meter: 202
 
544 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidgamer

Well, I've had my nexus 5 for little over 2 months now, and the screen is just covered with surface scratches. It's really annoying as I have never dropped the phone, or left it in my pocket with my keys, nevertheless, despite my best efforts the screen is riddled in micro scratches only visible in the sun. Is there any way I can remove these easily? or could I use a screen protector to hide them? Also, isn't gorilla glass 3 supposed to be scratch resistant, because from what I've seen it's really not.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Since you posted in this section and didn't use a (?), I thought you where providing a magic product to erase scratches

You can hide/reduce visibility of some or many of them with a screen protector but not all.
1st May 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
198 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
+1 to above. Matte screen protector helps a bit. Depends if it's your thing though.
1st May 2014, 01:24 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUGUITOMTG4

Since you posted in this section and didn't use a (?), I thought you where providing a magic product to erase scratches

You can hide/reduce visibility of some or many of them with a screen protector but not all.

Sorry about that, but yeah, i think I may pick up one of those invisible shields, but these scratches are quite thin and light. so who knows i guess we'll wait and see.
1st May 2014, 10:26 AM   |  #5  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 286
 
1,128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2007
More
For microscratches pretty much any screen protector will do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2nd May 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #6  
jacknicholson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 388
 
493 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
More
I'll echo the above sentiments. I had (well, have) a barely noticeable, yet nonetheless aggravating scratch, about a centimeter in length, toward the bottom of my display. A regular plastic (non-matte) screen protector solved that issue, as well as completely hiding a giant 'permanent' smudge caused by my oleophobic coating wearing off (but that's another story). So you'll hopefully be good to go.
3rd May 2014, 11:09 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 198
 
331 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Metals don't scratch glass. Sand particles do.
If the tiny scratches that can only be viewed at a certain angle under strong light when the screen is off irritate you that much, you may have to use a plastic screen protector and change it every 3 days, or a glass protector and change it every few months.
Gorilla Glass 3 is already the most scratch-resistant thing you can normally get for your phone. Any protectors will scratch worse than it.
There is no way to remove the scratches without damaging the oleophobic layer. A way to "remove" the scratch is to use toothpaste, but that actually scratches the sides of the scratch to "flatten" it. The oleophobic layer will be damaged and you will leave bad smudges on that area.

The best way is to buy a Nexus 5 front frame from eBay and replace it.
3rd May 2014, 12:08 PM   |  #8  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 286
 
1,128 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyung

you may have to use a plastic screen protector and change it every 3 days

The best way is to buy a Nexus 5 front frame from eBay and replace it.

Wow isnt 3days too often? I would say with a good quality screen protector it should at least be good for 3-6months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
3rd May 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 198
 
331 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako

Wow isnt 3days too often? I would say with a good quality screen protector it should at least be good for 3-6months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Glass protectors yes, but no matter how good quality a plastic screen protector is, the hardness is still only 4H max, meaning micro scratches can build up pretty soon. I mean those tiny, tiny scratches that you can hardly notice unless under the sun.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg nexus 5, scratches, screen, screen protector
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes