Wired and wireless charging speed

Tip us?

dreckgos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Wired and wireless charging speed

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out which is the fastest charger, wired or wireless for the Nexus 5. To do this, I suggest we gather measurements about the charging speed for the phone charging when it has less than 75% charge.

My results are the following so far:

T-Mobile dual usb wall charger 700-800 mA
this ebay Qi charger [1] 200-300 mA

[1] http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Qi-...item51b121c146

Note that the T-mobile dual USB charger was the power source when using the Qi charger and the same microUSB cable was used in both cases.

Does anybody have a wired or wireless charger that can charge faster?

Also, I am using the Elixir 2 app to measure the mA, is there an alternative that does not require the screen on (I feel that it may affect the measurements)?

FuMMoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1857

DONATE TO ME
The one that outputs more mah will charge faster.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
If I helped you out please click the thanks button under my name. Thanks!

Holo White Accent Theme Zip For Cataclysm
Nexus 5 Cataclysm Help thread and Mirrors

Ben36
Old
(Last edited by Ben36; 11th December 2013 at 05:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1374
They're both awful outputs u need at least 1000 mA / 1A output. You can damage the battery with underpowered charge rates

Also that eBay link states 1A output in the description

dreckgos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Guys, for the wired chargers, we are not talking about the STATED MAXIMUM OUTPUT here, we are talking about the output IN PRACTICE. Most chargers are rated for instantaneous output (it can output 1A or 2A or whatever is listed on the charger, but only for a millisecond, then the rate will fall off).

Please use the app and let me know what your rates for wired charging are (not that the rates fall off when the device is charged more than 75%, so try to test when the charge is lower than that). I bet the rate you find will be lower than 800mA, but if this is not the case, I am curous on the charger and cable that you use.

As for the wireless charger, I know it is very very bad, am trying to return it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreckgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1374
A poor/cheap usb cable will make a massive difference too. I once had a cable that wouldn't let more than 384mA through it!

dreckgos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Exactly! This is why I picked the cable I am using now, but I could not get over 900mA with this combination of cable + charger. The Charger is a T-mobile dual USB 3A charger and in my opinion it is very good.

rikudo
Old
Thanks Meter 11
The stock wired charger is rated for 1.2A and actually charges at just over 1 A. The charging chipset in the phone limits charging to 1.5 A max.

The nexus wireless charger charges at 750 mA max. Bad positioning and cases will reduce wireless charging efficiency though.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/g...xus-5-review/3

dbolot1
Old
(Last edited by dbolot1; 11th December 2013 at 08:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
I've noticed that during wireless charging my phone will charge at 500-600mA up until 85-87% and after that it will charge at 300mA to 100%, so make sure when you are testing to test at lower battery capacity. Also, try wireless charging from a USB port of a computer, I've noticed that I got better performance form USB port than from 2A touchpad charger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 475
Wired charging is always going to be faster than wireless charging. Wireless charging on the Nexus 4 Orb takes about twice as long as charging via the supplied wired charger with the Nexus 5. Technology is going to have to advance quite a bit before wireless charging eclipses wired charging. There is an inherent inefficiency with wireless charging that wired charging does not have.