Ask a question

No registration required

Wireless charger question

OP jaystekan

22nd January 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I just purchased a white 32gb Nexus 5 to replace my Galaxy s2 that is dying a slow death. The phone is currently somewhere in transit via the usps. I am currently stationed in Italy and over here the outlets are 220v, not 110v. I want to purchase a wireless charger for my N5. I would purchase a 220v charger here, however, I am headed back home to the states later this year. I would hate to buy a 220v charger here, only to have to sell it, and purchase a new charger when I get home. So... anyone with a wireless charger, can you tell me if your particular charger is dual voltage?
22nd January 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 1,005

806 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystekan

I just purchased a white 32gb Nexus 5 to replace my Galaxy s2 that is dying a slow death. The phone is currently somewhere in transit via the usps. I am currently stationed in Italy and over here the outlets are 220v, not 110v. I want to purchase a wireless charger for my N5. I would purchase a 220v charger here, however, I am headed back home to the states later this year. I would hate to buy a 220v charger here, only to have to sell it, and purchase a new charger when I get home. So... anyone with a wireless charger, can you tell me if your particular charger is dual voltage?

The Qi chargers themselves are universal and don't use the 110v - 220v. So don't worry about that and pick up whatever Qi charger you want. They are all DC 5V 1.5A - 2A input. They generally just come with the charging plate and a USB cable (unless you buy for example the official Nexus 5 wireless charger which also includes the power adapter that supports 100 - 240v anyway). So you can plug the Qi charger using USB into a PC if you really need to (charges slower though).

What you will need to consider is the AC adapter/wall wart (what plugs into the wall, with a USB port or micro USB cable attached) that you usually buy separately (make sure it is 2A output). The AC adapter is what you need to make sure supports 100 - 240v. Most USB wall adapters are travel adapters by design, so they already support 100 - 240v. So it really shouldn't be a problem for you, but just double check it before you buy one.

For example, an AC adapter like this: AC 100 - 240v Input → DC 5V 2A Output. Then you just plug whatever Qi charger you have into it.
Last edited by mmmmBACON; 23rd January 2014 at 04:30 AM.
23rd January 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

23 posts
I have a Qi charger in my car which I typically only use during my 30 minute commute to and from work so I mostly do not lose any charge during my commute. I am looking to get another Qi charger to use at home and I was wondering if wireless charging stops when phone is fully charged. I am worried that wireless charging will stop in the middle of the night when phone gets charged giving me a partially charged phone in the morning.
Last edited by lfbuccat; 23rd January 2014 at 01:29 AM.
23rd January 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 13

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystekan

Mine just uses a 12v DC input and it came with a 110v AC to 12v DC transformer so worst case you might just need to buy an adapter. But then again my charger was less than $25 shipped: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/acc...ku6290260.html

Doubt that applies internationally...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread