FORUMS

Google Teaches You to Use Wear Gestures

Now that the Watch Urbane is out with the latest firmware, we have new information regarding the … more

Samsung Galaxy Alpha (SM-G850) Gets Android 5.0

An Android 5.0 Lollipop update is finally available to download for the Samsung Galaxy … more

Do You Use 4:3 or 16:9 in the Camera App?

Every person has their own method of taking the best photos on their devices, but which aspect … more

LG G4 XDA Forum Opened

LG’s latest & greatest is just a few hours away from launching, and with so many power users that are … more
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Wireless Charging Phone Sleeve for Nexus 5

20th November 2014, 05:46 AM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Guys, I'm going to be launching a wireless charging phone sleeve on Kickstarter in January. The unique selling point will be the Smart app that communicates with the sleeve.

I'm doing research for the launch now to determine which phones to support. If you guys could just share your thoughts that'd be great.

Namely:
Will you as a Nexus 5 user invest in a new phone sleeve?
Why do you/ dont you use existing portable chargers like powerbanks and Qi chargers?
If you know any cool portable wireless chargers?

I myself use a Nexus 4 with Qi built in but I haven't found a satisfactory wireless charging solution yet... that's kinda why I worked on my own. Thanks! I'm also asking the Samsung s5 guys for their feedback.
Last edited by tongrhj; 29th November 2014 at 01:52 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tongrhj For This Useful Post: [ View ]

20th November 2014, 06:59 AM |#2  
Flag Wolfsburg
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I would definitely use it because it seems like a very cool way of charge your phone while you are on the go!
Because a sleeve is better than a poweramp which is big an bulky
Please just do a Nexus 5 Version
20th November 2014, 07:42 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollidiemaus

I would definitely use it because it seems like a very cool way of charge your phone while you are on the go!
Because a sleeve is better than a poweramp which is big an bulky
Please just do a Nexus 5 Version

I have both a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4, so I'm definitely invested in the Nexus family! Ie. I definitely want to support the Nexus 5 if people want it.

The humongous Nexus 6 on the other hand...
20th November 2014, 10:20 AM |#4  
Flag Wolfsburg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongrhj

I have both a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4, so I'm definitely invested in the Nexus family! Ie. I definitely want to support the Nexus 5 if people want it.

The humongous Nexus 6 on the other hand...

Yeah like I said I would buy one because the battery on our phone isn't the best as we all know.
20th November 2014, 10:27 AM |#5  
Flag Ivry-la-Bataille
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
Smile
Great idea !

I will buy one if it isn't too expensive.
20th November 2014, 12:22 PM |#6  
Flag Wolfsburg

More
Do you know about an approximately price yet?
20th November 2014, 12:29 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I don't get why you need to make that thing a sleeve. I wouldn't buy it because basically it'd make my phone unusable while I charged it. Make it have a transparent front, or a removable front, and maybe it's worth it.

I frankly don't see the point in it, and frankly having an app that "optimizes my charging experience" is something I dont see as something I need or want, I want my phone to charge and installing an app so I get better charging (in some way I don't understand or even see how it's possible) is something I want to avoid, not look upon as a unique selling proposition.

You are competing with $5 power banks here, at least in my mind, and I really don't see something here that makes me want to spend the money I can see this costing just so I can charge my phone wirelessly while it's in my bag.

I'm not being negative here, I'm being honest and since you're probably going to be investing some of your money here, I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Make it modular, with different sleeves you can buy for your phone, make it possible to use it as a power bank for non-qi devices and you have something interesting *for me*.

Good luck at any rate.
20th November 2014, 04:36 PM |#8  
Flag Canada
Thanks Meter: 213

Donate to Me
More
I see the need and want for it... but i dont like how its a sleeve... say i use this at night... and use my phone for my alarm. well how do i silence the alarm without taking it out of the charger... isnt going to happen...

I like to idea of modular, were you can maybe has detachable sleeves... maybe a large one that covers the screen for people who want it in their bags, or maybe half a sleeve for people who use it at night, and still have to have access to the mute/disregard of the alarm apps.

Know what I mean?
20th November 2014, 07:07 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Yeah I see what you mean. That's a great idea!

However, that's not necessary now because the sleeve is thin enough that you can place your phone over it and it will still charge, ie. The sleeve becomes a charging mat.

But at the end of the day, its still a sleeve so you need to slip it out before using the phone if its inside. Good idea though! Maybe I can offer it as a stretch goal
20th November 2014, 11:13 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm already using a powerbank. But as others stated, it's not very comfortable when you're using the phone.

I think a case would be much more useful than a powerbank or a sleeve. And you could add an attachable cover to sweeten the deal. That way everyone could get what they want from our lovely phones. And I would definitely buy and support something like that.

--
Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
novelsys ampere, phone sleeve, wireless charging
Previous Thread Next Thread