XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless Charging Questions.

Tip us?

Landara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Default Wireless Charging Questions.

Been thinking of getting a Wireless Charger for my N5 but I have a very important question. Will they work through a case? I use a case on my phone and there is absolutely no value to a wireless charger if I am going to have to remove my case to use it. So I am wondering if you can place it atop the charge station while in a TPU or plastic case and still get a charge? I would also like to know how much slower Wireless Charging is than regular AC charging? Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8 | Windows 8.1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: LG Nexus 5 16gb Black | CARRIER: Aio Wireless | ROM: Cataclysm | KERNEL: Trinity for Nexus 5, by Lord Morfic.

beazie0885
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landara View Post
Been thinking of getting a Wireless Charger for my N5 but I have a very important question. Will they work through a case? I use a case on my phone and there is absolutely no value to a wireless charger if I am going to have to remove my case to use it. So I am wondering if you can place it atop the charge station while in a TPU or plastic case and still get a charge? I would also like to know how much slower Wireless Charging is than regular AC charging? Thank you.
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
just remember, theres a thin line between words and wounds.... I WONT stand for digital harassment! Lol what a joke

sn0warmy
Old
Thanks Meter 677
Yes, wireless chargers work with a case. I've used the LG WCP-700 wireless charger with my Nexus 4 flawlessly with countless cases on the Nexus 4. I fully expect the results to be the same with the Nexus 5. Wireless chargers are very convenient and work great. Just make sure to get a reputable one and don't cheap out on a $20 eBay one.
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hello00
Old
Thanks Meter 1680
i also heard that once ur phone is fully charged..the wireless charger will stop charging
-Black&Cyan for ICS 4.0.4, JB 4.1.1 and CM10 AOSP Theme Apps, -Blacked Out Gapps, Custom Batt% & Icons

-HTC Sense Camera for HTC One m7 Google Edition Roms 4.2.2 Click Here

-★ [THEMED] Kitkat 4.4 Mms.apk Dark Holo & More ★Here

★ ★ UCCW Clocks by me Click here ★ ★

The Following User Says Thank You to hello00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sn0warmy
Old
Thanks Meter 677
I know the LG one stops charging when full. It also trickle charges so if your phone or tablet falls below a 95% charge it starts charging it again till full, then stops again.
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dwaltuberalles
Old
Thanks Meter 5
All "Qi" standard chargers will work with the N5 with varying degrees of success. They all will generally charge up to a distance of ~3-4mm from coil to coil so they will usually charge thru cases with no problem although there may be a slight degradation in charge rate. I have used several different Qi chargers - the Google Orb, the Owlpad car charger, the LG WCP 300 and the Metrans MWT03. They all charged my N4 'case on' with no trouble although the N4 did seem to charge slightly quicker without the case on. I even mounted the Metrans inside of my desk just under the laminate surface and it charged the N4 fine thru the laminate and TPU case. The Orb was easily the best of lot and charged the fastest, the Owlpad was probably the worst but it was used while driving with the phone generally being used for GPS, music streaming etc and under those conditions, it barely could maintain charge with screen on. With the phone off, it charged fine.

I just got my N5 today and tried it with all of my chargers and they all worked fine, if anything the N5 is less picky than the N4 about placement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaltuberalles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaywalker23
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landara View Post
Shouldn't have problems charging through a case

KevinWolfs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaltuberalles View Post
All "Qi" standard chargers will work with the N5 with varying degrees of success. They all will generally charge up to a distance of ~3-4mm from coil to coil so they will usually charge thru cases with no problem although there may be a slight degradation in charge rate. I have used several different Qi chargers - the Google Orb, the Owlpad car charger, the LG WCP 300 and the Metrans MWT03. They all charged my N4 'case on' with no trouble although the N4 did seem to charge slightly quicker without the case on. I even mounted the Metrans inside of my desk just under the laminate surface and it charged the N4 fine thru the laminate and TPU case. The Orb was easily the best of lot and charged the fastest, the Owlpad was probably the worst but it was used while driving with the phone generally being used for GPS, music streaming etc and under those conditions, it barely could maintain charge with screen on. With the phone off, it charged fine.

I just got my N5 today and tried it with all of my chargers and they all worked fine, if anything the N5 is less picky than the N4 about placement.
Dit you try the N5 in the Owl Carpad? did it work or did you neet to do some mods?
I'm also looking at this charger

dwaltuberalles
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolfs View Post
Dit you try the N5 in the Owl Carpad? did it work or did you neet to do some mods?
I'm also looking at this charger
I bought the owlpad for my N4 and the N5 doesn't play well with my N4 Owlpad. The coils are not aligned and there is little wiggle room in the phone holder. Owlpad does make a N5 version (or a $29 conversion kit to make the N4 Owlpad into a N5 charger). Overall, I wouldn't recommend wireless charging for a car dock. Wireless chargers can't charge at the same rate as a cable and if you, like me, put heavy use on your phone while driving (GPS, bluetooth, music streaming, etc), the charger at best will barely maintain charge and often will lose charge. The beauty of wireless charging is being able to drop your phone at home or office and have it always 'topping off' without bothering to hook up a cable. If you put heavy use on your phone in the car, I recommend direct cable. For the home or office, I definitely recommend wireless. Since going wireless with my N4, my phone seems always fully charged when I leave home or work.

hello00
Old
Thanks Meter 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy View Post
I know the LG one stops charging when full. It also trickle charges so if your phone or tablet falls below a 95% charge it starts charging it again till full, then stops again.
which charger is that?
-Black&Cyan for ICS 4.0.4, JB 4.1.1 and CM10 AOSP Theme Apps, -Blacked Out Gapps, Custom Batt% & Icons

-HTC Sense Camera for HTC One m7 Google Edition Roms 4.2.2 Click Here

-★ [THEMED] Kitkat 4.4 Mms.apk Dark Holo & More ★Here

★ ★ UCCW Clocks by me Click here ★ ★