[KERNEL] [RACER] AOSP LRX21 O->V | CM12 | OC-UV | Γ | MPDEC | DT2W | Faux Snd

OP rachanta

21st April 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 907

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
RACER Kernel is built - from google msm_lollipop release source. All features are working! It is fast, silky smooth and only sips battery. I make these builds purely for fun, and for myself, but am sharing these just in case others find it useful. I am just the chef here. All the ingredients have been made by others. Those looking for original stuff, please head over to the work done by the great developers I have mentioned later in this post.

I have been myself running it with no problems. The plan is to keep improving it with regular updates.

Note - While s2w, dt2w and s2s are really cool features, enabling them will cause the battery to discharge faster as the phone needs to be listening for these inputs continuously. You can use power key to shut screen when you do not intend to use the phone. This temporarily disables s2w-dt2w-s2s function and greatly increase battery life. You have the choice of enabling or not.

Do try this kernel and all feedback is welcome.

RACER Kernel works with Android LOLLIPOP (LRX21V, LRX21O and other variants) and CM12

KERNEL: RACER_L9.6_20141123:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001614925

Any frequency > 2419 MHz could be unstable though users have reported using available maximum frequency.

Note: If you have issues with KControl or any kernel app setting not sticking after reboot, please install @sykopompos's permissive boot kernel before installing RACER. You can get it here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001609904

Changelog RACER_L9.6_20141123
  • Added Optimax, Abyssplugv2 and many more governots from #Cl3Kener
  • Added GPU Interactive
  • Other upstream tweaks via @hellsgod and @Cl3Kener

Changelog RACER_L9.5.5.:
  • Enabled zram a RAM based block device that acts as swap disk. Pages swapped to this disk are compressed and stored in memory itself. Compressing pages and keeping them in RAM virtually increases its capacity. This allows more applications to fit in given amount of memory.
  • Removed Battery Life Extender

Changelog RACER_L9.5.:
  • Added Power Efficiency Tweaks
  • Enable Swap
  • Stereo Call Recording Support
  • Added Staging driver area - According to @gregkh, “Staging area is used to hold stand alone drivers and filesystems that are not yet ready to be merged into main portion of the Linux kernel tree at this point for various technical reasons.”
  • Added some IO Schedulers, and increased read ahead buffer default to 1024 KB
  • Added Battery Life Extender
  • Upstream updates via @Cl3Kener with many thanks - Decompressor, LZO, Sound Control, EXFAT, SELinux

Changelog RACER_L8.0.:
  • Voltage table - tweaked values from @flar2 with many thanks, while retaining min 96 MHz
  • Upstream updates via @Cl3Kener with many thanks

Read this before installing:
  • Stable Working range and Benchmarking: For important settings please see these posts by @FunkyRasta -
    - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1034
    - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1045
    - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1054
  • At least two cores must be core-throttled for stable operation
  • For stable performance with good battery life - max freq < =2419MHz and min =96MHz with GPU max =320MHz, Stock settings in Thermal, MPDecision - Slow, Only one core on line minimum. Any frequency > 2419 MHz could be unstable though users have reported using available maximum frequency.
  • Recommended kernel setting apps : KControl (most settings), Synapse (gpufreq, wake, gamma, misc)
  • Using the power-key to shut off the screen during charging will increase charging speed. This settings is available in Synapse / Wake
  • Reinstall and boot the rom with dalivik and cache wipe before installing RACER. You may need to do a data wipe, but in most cases a system wipe is enough
  • Clear data from your kernel setting app, clean cache and dalvik for best results.
  • I do hope you like this release

For details of code please see:
https://github.com/rachanta/kernel_n5_racer/commits

Features:
  • Works with Android LOLLIPOP / CM11 / KitKat 4.4.4
  • Google msm_lollipop release merged ibto msm_lpx base
  • Linux 3.4.104
  • MultiROM
  • MPDecision Hotplug with Bricked 3-Stage Thermal
  • The usual and many more
  • Gamma control
  • Sweep2Wake | DoubleTap2Wake | Sweep2Sleep
  • USB Fast Charging
  • UV | OV | UC | OC | 96-2965 MHz Freq Table
  • Faux Sound
  • Back Light
  • F2FS for system partition
  • Persistent ram, zram, staging
  • Diag mode
  • i2c bus control
  • FSync
  • Build and Kernel Flags possible with Linaro Cortex A15

Acknowledgements:
Google, @franciscofranco, @faux123, @Tasssadar, @show-p1984 , @flar2, @savoca, @Calkulin, Greg Kroah-Hartman, @Cl3Kener, @neobuddy89, @flar2, @dennes544, @hellsgod, Kim Jaegeuk (Samsung, Inventor of F2FS)

Sources:

Build Platform:
  • Ubuntu 14.05 LTS, 64 Bit on a MacBook Pro
  • Toolchain: arm-cortex_a15-linux-gnueabihf-linaro_4.9.2-2014.10-build_2014_10_26

Installation tip: Do not flash along with ROM. Complete the ROM installation with permissive kernel posted above or stock kernel before flashing RACER.
Last edited by rachanta; 25th November 2014 at 03:25 PM.
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Wink Instructions for enabling F2FS
  1. Get fastboot (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Doc:_fastboot_intro)
  2. Get adb sideload (part of android sdk. Pl see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...oader-t2507905)
  3. Download TWPR from http://d-h.st/vFQ. This is important. Not all TWRPs are F2FS capable. You can also use this TWRP (http://d-h.st/Nrm)
  4. Go into bootloader
  5. Install TWRP using fastboot (fastboot flash recovery your_recovery_image.img)
  6. Wipe-> Format Data-> enter 'yes' and click go
  7. Flash ROM through sideload (Any CM / AOKP based ROM)
  8. Flash Kernel (This can be skipped if you installed RACER ROM)
  9. Reboot in and go through the setting

NOTICE: I will be not be responsible for any loss of data or damage to your phone in your attempts to install this kernel. The kernel also works with the TWRP Recovery downloaded and installed through the multiROM application from Play Store
Last edited by rachanta; 14th June 2014 at 12:46 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
A note on Diag Mode (for hard core geeks)
First please see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-mode-t2535478
  • Diag mode helps trace the radio interface with software such as QXDM, QPST, X-CAL-Mobile.
  • The Qualcomm eXtensible Diagnostic Monitor (QXDM Professional) is a real-time data collection and diagnostic logging tool for measuring mobile-based Radio Frequency performance. Qualcomm Product Support Tools (QPST) v.2.7.323 is a software package used for phones based on Qualcomm chips.
  • QPST helps in Radio Frequency calibration . You can use apps such as MSL Reader to read your Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) code for your CDMA Android phone. You can change MSL with CDMA Workshop and use it to access phone using QPST or DFS CDMA Tool.
  • CDMA Workshop is a professional, universal, and all-in-one service software, developed to work with any CDMA phones, smart phones, fixed terminals, data cards/modems based on any Qualcomm and compatible chipsets.
  • XCAL-Mobile is a leading handheld air interface monitoring tool that enables QoS (Quality of Service) and QoE (Quality of Experience) testing across all GSM/WCDMA/EVDO/WiFi/LTE technologies. It supports extensive application testing and delivers real-time network measurement and visualisation capability in smart devices.
  • All credit to user @jclendineng for testing out Diag Mode working (R5.5+)
Last edited by rachanta; 24th October 2014 at 03:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Talking Stable working range for RACER L7.0+
Posts by @FunkyRasta, reproduced here for the record:
A quick guide to MSM MPDecision and Three Phase Thermal control by show-p1984

Hotplug section „MSM MPDecsion” in Synapse:
I will not not explain stuff already explained in Synapse itself, I'd rather provide a point of reference and a few profiles for you.

Defaults values for reference:

Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU1 - 12
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU0 - 0
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU2 - 20
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU1 - 7
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 25
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU2 - 10
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU4 - 0
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 18

Time Threshold Hotplug CPU1 – 140
Time Threshold Unplug CPU0 - 0
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU2 - 140
Time Threshold Unplug CPU1 - 190
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 140
Time Threshold Unplug CPU2 - 190
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU4 - 0
Time Threshold Unplug CPU3 - 190

Slow Hotplug and Slow unplug of cores – Best battery life, great performance
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU1 - 22
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU0 - 0
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU2 - 37
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU1 - 18
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 47
Runqueue Threshold Unplug CPU2 - 22
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU4 - 0
Runqueue Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 26

Time Threshold Hotplug CPU1 - 400
Time Threshold Unplug CPU0 - 0
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU2 - 400
Time Threshold Unplug CPU1 - 400
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU3 - 400
Time Threshold Unplug CPU2 - 400
Time Threshold Hotplug CPU4 - 0
Time Threshold Unplug CPU3 – 400

HINT: You can combine Hotplugs and Unplugs from these two profiles to get Default Hotplug/Slow unplug etc. mixes to achieve what you want. The presented profiles are delivered with Kcontrol app by show-p1984 himself, if you want to support him then buy it.

Thermal:
Here Synapse screwes up a bit when it comes to naming stuff.

Allowed Low/Mid/High Low should be Low/Mid/High Clear
Allowed Low/Mid/High High should be Low/Mid/High Limit

Firs let's talk about Limit values. If SOC reaches limit value of Low phase it throttles the freq to Allowed Low frequency value. Same goes for Mid and High. If a clear value is reached for Low phase the throttling goes off. Same goes for Mid phase if you set Mid Clear lower than Low Limit. If you set it higher the SOC will go in Low phase and analogically with Mid and High phases.

My recommended settings to keep phone cool without noticeable performance decrease. Completely different than default, which nearly doesn't throttle the phone till it is very hot to drop freq all the way down. Experiment with this values to your liking and compromise beetwen performance/temperature

Low limit – 58 low freq – 1958 MHz
Low clear – 55
Mid limit - 65 mid freq – 1728 MHz
Mid clear – 60
High limit – 70 high freq – 1574 Mhz
High clear - 63

Hope I helped !

For my nearly 40000 bench everything was stock apart and in fact I even set hotplug to slow. Stock thermal would be OK too, not my settings from guide that are supposed to keep phone cool.
With stock settings and stock thermal there's no way you could not have at least 39000 something.

For 43500 run I've raised thermal limits to 80 C, set hotplug Fast in Kcontrol, cooled my phone in the fridge and OC'ed to 2,5 Ghz. Later without cooling at 2,4 Ghz I got 42000.

And I've got to say that battery now on Racer is F***** AWESOME. Exactly two hours screen on with 50 percent battery left ! That's great considering I mostly get 3 hours something SOT from 100 percent with my use. Even greater given the fact that Lollipop drains battery with wifi on (misc battery use in battery history) and that I was playing real racing for 30 minutes.

I'm running 7.0 before it was limited to 2.8 GHz. Today factory images should be relased. Will flash one a post Antutu score with latest build and without any settings editing.
My phone has PVS 3 and undervolted by 35mV.
No cheating no per app setting. Just straight simple, four cores @2,2 GHz ,ondemand governor, deadline scheduler. Minimum freq all the way down to what Synapse allows. Hotplug as in my guide, slow hotplug (try with default) slow unplug. All free thermal phases rased above 80 C using Kcontrol (scroll down and hit apply ! That got me like two times, maybe that's why your antutu runs at 1,9 GHz)
Last edited by rachanta; 12th November 2014 at 08:49 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 582

1,468 posts
Awesome!! Another Aicp ROM. I will try both flavors now!! Appreciate you're work!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
21st April 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrlover

Awesome!! Another Aicp ROM. I will try both flavors now!! Appreciate you're work!!

No that was only the kernel. My AICP ROM with the RACER kernel is here:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407587747
The Following User Says Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 582

1,468 posts
Ah that's why i couldn't find it. Even better

21st April 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #8  
Flag off the coast o the kontiki!
Thanks Meter: 1,290

2,948 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachanta

No that was only the kernel. My AICP ROM with the RACER kernel is here:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407587747

Can I maybe ask what the difference between your aicp & the other one in these threads, either way I'm defiantly going to try the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2
22nd April 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheeejd

Can I maybe ask what the difference between your aicp & the other one in these threads, either way I'm defiantly going to try the kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

AICP uses n3ohammer in which kexec hardboot patch is broken, because of which multi ROM does not work.
RACER is cyanogenmod + faux sound + kexec hardboot. MultiROM works. Everything works as it us supposed to. You are welcome to try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by rachanta; 25th April 2014 at 05:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 11:58 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Kernel update 22-04-2014
RACER KERNEL update - merged latest cyanogenmod commit
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588171

UNOFFICIAL AICP ROM WITH RACER KERNEL - UPDATE 22-04-2014:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588175
Last edited by rachanta; 22nd April 2014 at 12:48 PM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachanta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android l, f2fs, kernel, multi rom, nexus 5, racer, s2w
Previous Thread Next Thread