[KERNEL][3.4.104][10/20/14] UBER | LINARO 4.10 & SaberMod 4.10 | -OFast + Graphite

OP Cl3Kener

Yesterday, 03:50 PM   |  #2191  
Thanks Meter: 554

1,155 posts
I guess depends on one's definition of bricked.
Mine is a totally unresponsive device - can't access boot loader - no buttons working - nothing.
As long as you have the proper boot loader working, it's not bricked, and can be made to work again - easily.
Yesterday, 03:51 PM   |  #2192  
Flag 203
Thanks Meter: 1,570

2,653 posts
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=54207353

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Edit: Xperia S not N4 kernel. Don't take my word for it. RootSU pretty well known around here.

FYI I have done research and I don't spread misinformation. Practice what you preach. You need to look a few things up. There's plenty of (I don't want to say idiots, but...) people on XDA who will read your post saying you can't brick your N5 with another phones kernel and will try to flash it. Simply because they liked it on an older phone and want it on this one.

You need to stop spreading misinformation. @JNMM
Last edited by RoyJ; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 03:55 PM   |  #2193  
Thanks Meter: 54

578 posts
Donate to Me
which app do you use to tweak this kernel?

or something to tweak in some pratical way the init.d file maybe should be the best.

tnks
Last edited by gannjunior; Yesterday at 04:11 PM.
Yesterday, 04:12 PM   |  #2194  
Thanks Meter: 35

59 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannjunior

or something to tweak in some pratical way the init.d file maybe should be the best.

tnks

Synapse does wonders.
The Following User Says Thank You to R3Lax1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 06:15 PM   |  #2195  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,452

3,577 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannjunior

tnks

KControl, Trickster Mod, FKU, FaxuClock, Kernel Tweaker, and as the above post said.. Synapse.
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 09:13 PM   |  #2196  
Thanks Meter: 54

578 posts
Donate to Me
thank you guys
Yesterday, 11:40 PM   |  #2197  
Forum Moderator
Flag Roseville, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,038

3,660 posts
Donate to Me
More
Let's keep it on topic here guys. There are many other threads in the Q&A section to discuss things.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to El Daddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 12:45 AM   |  #2198  
Flag On the interwebz
Thanks Meter: 1,680

2,008 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMM

Your wrong. A recovery has its own kernel and doesn't rely on the rom kernel to boot. The only way to brick our device is to flash the wrong proprietary blobs, which are only done through flashing a rom for any other device.

Flashing proprietary blobs has nothing to do with a hard brick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMM

I have flashed a flo rom on my hammerhead before....no issues. I have flashed nexus 4 kernel before..... No issues. So please relax. Your're wrong here. Recovery has its own kernel. Nexus devices have a boot loader. Tough to brick. Know your information before posting and misleading others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ

I feel like you're arguing just to argue. You said the only way to brick the N5 is by flashing a ROM from another device on it. Yet you go on to say you flashed a flo ROM with no adverse effects. Suspect. N5 actually has two bootloaders. I can't say I believe you about N4 kernel on N5 as I remember now for sure. He did brick flashing a N4 kernel. Find one, flash it and PM me screen shot your N5 on a N4 kernel. Recovery having its own kernel doesn't have to do with what I'm talking about. Obviously they're tough to brick, but go ahead and flash a kernel from a phone that's not a nexus LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazmos

I guess depends on one's definition of bricked.
Mine is a totally unresponsive device - can't access boot loader - no buttons working - nothing.
As long as you have the proper boot loader working, it's not bricked, and can be made to work again - easily.

To answer all of these, long ago, flashing kernel or rom was being done by accessing the relevant partition per number (i.e. emmc0blk1) which is obviously different for each device. However, nowadays, MOST of the kernel access the partition per name (/dev/block/platform/(platform_name)/by-name/(name_of_the_partition) which is kind of a failsafe. That way, even dumb people flashing nexus 4 kernel on their nexus 5 would overwrite only the kernel partition, where as flashing by partition number would overwrite the aboot (mmcblk0p6) partition of the said nexus 5 with a nexus 4 boot (mmcblk0p6) partition, killing the bootloader.

Also, not sure by what you meant by "Nexus devices have a boot loader.". All devices have bootloader otherwise they'd all be paperweight. I think you should make some reading before flashing your 400$ device with anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to chadouming For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Today, 02:02 AM   |  #2199  
Thanks Meter: 554

1,155 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadouming

Flashing proprietary blobs has nothing to do with a hard brick.

To answer all of these, long ago, flashing kernel or rom was being done by accessing the relevant partition per number (i.e. emmc0blk1) which is obviously different for each device. However, nowadays, MOST of the kernel access the partition per name (/dev/block/platform/(platform_name)/by-name/(name_of_the_partition) which is kind of a failsafe. That way, even dumb people flashing nexus 4 kernel on their nexus 5 would overwrite only the kernel partition, where as flashing by partition number would overwrite the aboot (mmcblk0p6) partition of the said nexus 5 with a nexus 4 boot (mmcblk0p6) partition, killing the bootloader.

Also, not sure by what you meant by "Nexus devices have a boot loader.". All devices have bootloader otherwise they'd all be paperweight. I think you should make some reading before flashing your 400$ device with anything.

Exactly. Kernel, rom, radio - nothing to do with bootloader - unless some fool adds a bootloader that gets flashed with their kernel/rom/radio.
Not a very nice thing to do imho.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread