Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,860 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Linux] Take screenshots from Recovery with FFMPEG

Tip us?

ikslawlok
Old
(Last edited by ikslawlok; 21st April 2014 at 11:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Prompt [Linux] Take screenshots from Recovery with FFMPEG

Thanks to people behind FFMPEG, @makers_mark and his thread "[TOOL][WIN]Take screenshots of Aroma and Recovery v1.1" to gave us the correct command line in his script, and gave us the ability of taking screenshot from recovery on Linux.

I - Requirements

1 - ADB installed on your computer
Get the Android SDK

2 - Correct Nexus 5 USB ID's

Create android USB rules with your favorite text editor
Quote:
Kubuntu :
Code:
sudo kate /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Quote:
Ubuntu :
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
Copy/Paste theses lines, and save it
Don't forget to change OWNER="your ubuntu username" with your Ubuntu/Linux username

Quote:
### Google Nexus 5
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee0", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee1", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee2", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee3", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee4", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee5", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee6", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d001", MODE="0666", OWNER="your ubuntu username"

3 - FFMPEG
To convert your raw framebuffer file into a *.png image file

Here, we will not install anything. We will just run the FFMPEG's executable to do what we want.
in this way, it does not affect our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static FFmpeg builds
If you don't have time/will/knowledge to compile FFmpeg yourself and you just
want to download-and-run FFmpeg, then you've come to the right place!

This directory contains latest static builds of FFmpeg for testing purposes.
That means you can just download and run the executable.
3.1 - Download FFMPEG from ffmpeg.gusari.org

Depending of your distro :
64x : ffmpeg.static.64bit.latest.tar.gz
32x : ffmpeg.static.32bit.latest.tar.gz

3.2 Unarchive it where you want
I choose "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/ffmpeg.static.64bit.latest/"

II - Go into your recovery, plug yor Nexus 5 with the USB cable to your computer

III - Get your raw framebuffer file

In your console/terminal, enter the command

Code:
adb pull /dev/graphics/fb0 "your/directory/the_name_of_the_screenshot.raw"
I choose "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/raw/"

Code:
adb pull /dev/graphics/fb0 "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/raw/screenshot_01.raw"

See the result in console/terminal

See the result on your computer

IV - Go to the FFMPEG directory

In your console/terminal, enter the command

Code:
cd "FFMPEG directory"
For me :
Code:
cd /home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/ffmpeg.static.64bit.latest/

Then, in your console/terminal, enter the command

Quote:
according your directories, you have to change :
"your/directory/the_name_of_the_screenshot.raw"
and
"your/directory/the_name_of_the_screenshot.png"
./ffmpeg -loglevel debug -hide_banner -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 1088x1920 -i "your/directory/the_name_of_the_screenshot.raw" -vf crop=1080:1920:0:0 -y "your/directory/the_name_of_the_screenshot.png"

For me :
Code:
./ffmpeg -loglevel debug -hide_banner -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 1088x1920 -i "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/raw/screenshot_01.raw" -vf crop=1080:1920:0:0 -y "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/png/screenshot_01.png"

See the result on your cumputer

See the result on your cumputer

Some screenshots I made with this method :

Note 1 : The fact that English is not my native language, any help to correct it, will be appreciated.
Note 1 : The fact that I don't know very well FFMPEG's command line, I have two errors (but it works !) :

Quote:
[rawvideo @ 0x3e0f360] Invalid buffer size, packet size 65536 < expected frame_size 4177920
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid argument
Quote:
[image2 @ 0x3e0fca0] Could not get frame filename number 2 from pattern '/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/png/screenshot_01.png' (either set updatefirst or use a pattern like %03d within the filename pattern)av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid argument
Any help to correct these errors, will be appreciated.

Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 | Nexus 5
Recovery : MultiROM (modified TWRP) - ROMs : OmniROM | Ubuntu Touch | Firefox OS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikslawlok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blinqipa
Old
Thanks Meter 301
First!
Thanks for this feature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

aheeejd
Old
Thanks Meter 1115
Or, you can use philz recovery, go to philz settings, GUI preferences & set it however you want. I have mine set to "slide left" & bingo, a screenshot in/of recovery. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398079914360.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2699674  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aheeejd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

makers_mark
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikslawlok View Post
Note 1 : The fact that English is not my native language, any help to correct it, will be appreciated.
Note 1 : The fact that I don't know very well FFMPEG's command line, I have two errors (but it works !) :

Any help to correct these errors, will be appreciated.
If you change your command to:
Code:
./ffmpeg -loglevel fatal -hide_banner -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 1088x1920 -i "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/raw/screenshot_01.raw" -vf crop=1080:1920:0:0 -y "/home/kowalski/.android/screenshot/png/screenshot_01.png"
By interchanging `-loglevel debug` with `-loglevel fatal` you will only receive console messages to inform you of program stopping (fatal) errors. If you still want to see more output from the ffmpeg console, which by the way is all written to stderr, you may try `-loglevel verbose` which is the same as not setting a loglevel at all. Using `-loglevel debug` shows everything in the console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheeejd View Post
Or, you can use philz recovery, go to philz settings, GUI preferences & set it however you want. I have mine set to "slide left" & bingo, a screenshot in/of recovery. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
With all due respect, the reasons a person would find him/herself wanting to take a screenshot while in recovery mode are very limited. You have themers, people writing tutorials, and maybe someone who can't describe what may be going on in there situation. Having said that, having a screenshot option in just one of those recoveries isn't a viable solution for someone who made a theme for twrp, or .... you get the point.

Side note: back when the OP was searching for a way to pull his screenshot, it didn't even work in Philz because the stride wasn't properly accounted for in fb2png until this commit on 3/22/14.

ikslawlok
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Thank you makers_mark

TWRP now includes screenshot feature. So it is a best way to do it.

Nexus 4 | Nexus 7 | Nexus 5
Recovery : MultiROM (modified TWRP) - ROMs : OmniROM | Ubuntu Touch | Firefox OS
The Following User Says Thank You to ikslawlok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]