Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] a.k.a. Dr. West's Re-Animated Kernel

Tip us?

koe1974
Old
(Last edited by koe1974; 5th July 2014 at 06:56 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 537
Default [KERNEL] a.k.a. Dr. West's Re-Animated Kernel

Dr. Herbert West's Re-Animated Franco Kernel Staging branch Kernel
a.k.a. Dr. West's Re-Animated Kernel

Quote:
"I have taken refuse of your God's failures and I have triumphed. There! THERE is my creation!"
Dr. Herbert West
Bride of Re-Animator (1989)
The short story ...

This is, for all intents and purposes, Franco Kernel. However, I have worked to cherry-pick commits
from the nightlies branch and apply them to the staging branch. I feel some great commits were lost
in the rebase and since I can't find the specific commits that make it great, I decided to just
carry on, adding commits from the nightlies branch to staging.

The long story ...

On March 19, 2014 Francisco Franco decided to rebase his kernel which is currently the nightlies
branch. To my understanding the reason was that users were complaining of various bugs, glitches,
etc. He had applied many CAF commits and was unable to determine where things were going wrong.
He was faced with a decision, find the problem or rebase? He chose to rebase. Since then, the
kernel has continued to get better and better!

"Then why are you using the staging branch?" you might be asking. Well, I was never plagued by
the problems other complained about and was really happy with r35. In fact, there is a little
nugget of gold with great value to me, hiding away in this branch! Let me explain.

On r35, when playing audio through PowerAmp, the CPU stays steady at 300mhz. Also, the way the
kernel selects which speed to run at seems to be more consistent. Apps, such as audio/video players,
seem to maintain a steady speed. Since r36 this has not been the case, audio/media players will
ramp up to 1GHz+ for no apparent reason. I was able to isolate one commit that as been applied to
the nightlies branch but the ramping up still continues.

This brings me to the nugget of gold! I have been able to determine there are about 1100 commits in
the staging branch that have not made it into the nightlies branch. The odds of finding the one or
two commits that reduce the ramping up are pretty slim. Believe me, I have tried.

Therefore, I have decided to re-animate the staging branch and work to bring commits from nightlies.

What is different?
  • The biggest difference is it is based on the "staging" branch
  • I've added 96Mhz, 192Mhz and 249Mhz CPU speeds.
  • Compiled with Linaro 4.8 (2014.03)
  • There will be no test builds, only releases that coincide with Franco Kernel.
  • The version will have a trailing a, b, c, etc. Each letter represents a build that has had past commits merged within that release. For example, the current version is r55a. Presently, there are about 120 commits from nightlies that I have to go through. If I merge some old commits before r56, the kernel will be released as r55b, r55c, etc.

What is the same?
  • many hundreds of commmits from the “nightlies” branch
  • initramfs files
  • Default FKU settings (see Notes)

Notes...
1. The FKU settings I change on my device are as follows... updated 06/30/2014

1a. If you are using a build named Re-animator-t** I suggest only changing the Minimum Frequency to 96000 and let me know how battery life is.

Minimum CPU frequency 96MHz
go_highspeed_load 95
highspeed_freq 192000
input_boost_freq 1036800
sync_freq 96000
target_loads 85 96000:90 192000:95 300000:98 600000:99
up_threshold_any_cpu_freq 300000
cpufreq_unplug_limit 1800000

2. For a long time I used PowerAmp, however I have recently switched to Rocket Music Player. Which you use is up to you but I believe RMP has a slightly less demanding UI.

3. At one point I suggested using Powersave governor to maximize battery. However, I think it does more harm than good, and has been removed.

4. I accept "Thanks" as payment.

5. Any monetary donations should be sent to Francisco Franco.

Downloads -- Source -- Changes/Commits
I'm reckless with my devices. I'm just warning you!
The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to koe1974 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kristoffer55
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Cool! I'll keep watching this thread.
Nexus 5. Done.

MidnightDevil
Old
Thanks Meter 814
Good to see developers actually looking at the code and explaining things to us users.
Keep up, I'm gonna try this.
This is AOSP kernel right?

Thanks

Mobile: LG Optimus 4X HD
Mobile: Google Nexus 5
Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 Wii

Be tolerant and use Good & Common HTC Sense! :P.

--- Interesting Reading ---
Android Terms / Slangs / Definitions and Guides Revised
What exactly batterystats.bin does.

Get 15GB of Free Space!!!

Don't post just to increase your post count, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting to reduce the amount of false information.
MD

koe1974
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDevil View Post

This is AOSP kernel right?
Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to koe1974 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tusshar.gaba
Old
Thanks Meter 31
anyone tried this kernel ??? how is the battery life on it ?? and does this work on mahdi rom ?
Current Phone: Google Nexus 5
Rom:
Mahdi-Rom
Android:
Android 4.4.4 Kitkat

Facebook: Tusshar Gaba // Twitter: Follow // Google+: Tusshar Gaba

tlrsax54
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusshar.gaba View Post
anyone tried this kernel ??? how is the battery life on it ?? and does this work on mahdi rom ?
It literally just came out, battery is probably similar to Franco's, and yes it's an AOSP kernel...
LG Nexus 5

Semetery
Old
Thanks Meter 65
The name alone intrigued me as a huge horror fan. The write-up sold me, going to flash it right now. Thanks!

koe1974
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrsax54 View Post
It literally just came out, battery is probably similar to Franco's, and yes it's an AOSP kernel...
As I said in the OP, for all intents and purposes, this is Francisco Franco's Kernel. The difference is that it is not rebased. This is the staging branch of his git with most commits from his nightlies branch applied to it.

tlrsax54
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by koe1974 View Post
As I said in the OP, for all intents and purposes, this is Francisco Franco's Kernel. The difference is that it is not rebased. This is the staging branch of his git with most commits from his nightlies branch applied to it.

yes I know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
LG Nexus 5

koe1974
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusshar.gaba View Post
how is the battery life on it ??
It will definitely get better battery life in some situations, specifically audio, which is what I use my device mainly for. For example, last night, on airplane mode, min cpu at 96mhz and governor set to powersave, I lost only 13% battery after 7.5 hrs of audio playback.

Quote:
and does this work on mahdi rom ?
If a rom works with Franco's Kernel, then it should most likely work with this one.