12 Ways to Save Battery without Root and break 7hrs SoT

OP bblzd

22nd February 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 351

1,456 posts
More
I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi). Edit: 6.75hrs SoT. Edit2: 7.75hrs SoT No root access or modifications needed for these.

This is my first Android device and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned mostly reading these forums. It also annoys me to read users complain about their battery life but are unwilling to do anything about it. I hope this will help people to realize the full potential of their phone.

1. Llama, Tasker, etc: Automate everything you can to save battery. It can be more efficient to run a line of code then to tap the screen.

2. Force stop all the programs you don't really need running in the background in Settings > Apps > Running. Basically act like your own Greenify. Or use Greenify.

3. Wakelocks: Track the "Awake Time" of suspicious applications and services and either reboot or force stop them if necessary.

4. Disable Google applications you don't need. Myself I disabled Chrome, Gmail and News & Weather.

5. Disable: touch and typing vibration. I have type sounds On and touch sounds Off because those really add up on speaker.

6. Disable: NFC, Bluetooth, Wireless printing etc. Automate to run only when needed for no lost functionality.

7. Wifi: Automate to turn on only for Wifi zones of your choice. No lost functionality. Wifi always scanning: Off.

8. Notifications: Apps and games can send you unnecessary notifications. Disable them. Enable only what you need.

9. Hotword detection: off. This specifically drains SoT and saves only a single screen tap.

10. Widgets: These drain battery without ever showing up individually on the stats page. Silent killers.

11. Lux: Another silent killer even when set "On Wake only" and "Slow". Just by disabling Lux lite and a once-daily updated Feedly widget I noticed significant SoT gains. Using Llama to automate brightness is more efficient.

12. Speaker vs Headphones: The speaker seems to use more battery.

Two apps that can help you monitor your battery and phone with no root requirement:

Play Store Link.
Current Widget - Set to update manually on your home screen for minimal power draw. Check your charge and discharge rates along with battery temperature.

Play Store Link.
S Tools+ - This just popped up in the XDA apps section the other day. Detailed information on CPU states, Deep Sleep time and ALL your sensors, nicely graphed and very polished including transparent nav bar. Other than real time graphing of sensors this shouldn't be much of a drain.
Last edited by bblzd; 13th March 2014 at 12:49 AM. Reason: More links.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 533

1,935 posts
Speaker vs headphones....what?? Care to explain how? I'm saying the difference is negligible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
22nd February 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

31 posts
Yeah, you really don't need to do all that to save battery. Just don't turn on data until you need it and you'll get a week of standby on a single charge with this phone, and a full day of usage (or more depending on how much you use it).
22nd February 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

1,456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaws

Speaker vs headphones....what?? Care to explain how? I'm saying the difference is negligible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

I seem to drain more battery listening to music with speakers over headphones but its hard to tell and probably negligible, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ober/Hydra

Yeah, you really don't need to do all that to save battery. Just don't turn on data until you need it and you'll get a week of standby on a single charge with this phone, and a full day of usage (or more depending on how much you use it).

Not sure if serious or not. That functionality is enabled on the phone by default and you'll see many people struggling to get over 3 hours SoT like that.

There are even reviews which seem to think topping 3 hours SoT is some kind of miracle. Most will answer that by saying: "you need root and flash x ROM with y kernel".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by bblzd; 22nd February 2014 at 07:38 AM.
22nd February 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

1,456 posts
More
Oops
Last edited by bblzd; 22nd February 2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Done goofed, delete button is a lie.
22nd February 2014, 09:46 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 43

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd

I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi). No root access or modifications needed for these.

1. Llama, Tasker, etc: Automate everything you can to save battery. It can be more efficient to run a line of code then to tap the screen.

2. Force stop all the programs you don't really need running in the background in Settings > Apps > Running. Basically act like your own Greenify. Or use Greenify.

3. Wakelocks: Track the "Awake Time" of suspicious applications and services and either reboot or force stop them if necessary.

4. Disable Google applications you don't need. Myself I disabled Chrome, Gmail and News & Weather.

5. Disable: touch and typing vibration. I have type sounds On and touch sounds Off because those really add up on speaker.

6. Disable: NFC, Bluetooth, Wireless printing etc. Automate to run only when needed for no lost functionality.

7. Wifi: Automate to turn on only for Wifi zones of your choice. No lost functionality. Wifi always scanning: Off.

8. Notifications: Apps and games can send you unnecessary notifications. Disable them. Enable only what you need.

9. Hotword detection: off. This specifically drains SoT and saves only a single screen tap.

10. Widgets: These drain battery without ever showing up individually on the stats page. Silent killers.

11. Lux: Another silent killer even when set "On Wake only" and "Slow". Just by disabling Lux lite and a once-daily updated Feedly widget I noticed significant SoT gains. Using Llama to automate brightness is more efficient.

12. Speaker vs Headphones: The speaker seems to use more battery.
This is my first Android device and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned mostly reading these forums. It also annoys me to read users complain about their battery life but are unwilling to do anything about it. I hope this will help people to realize the full potential of their phone.

I suspected Lux was using battery but the actual app use is showing up as very very minimal. Less than 1%.

Its far too convenient! Does llama have the same exact function built in?
22nd February 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,225

4,516 posts
Donate to Me
More
Don't forget to disable location reporting in Google Apps.

22nd February 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 228

946 posts
You also forgot to keep the phone off.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ulver For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

1,456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulver

You also forgot to keep the phone off.

If you actually read the post you would realize there is no lost functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2014, 06:28 AM   |  #10  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 149

410 posts
7hr sot? No way...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread