12 Ways to Save Battery without Root and break 7hrs SoT
I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi)
. Edit: 6.75hrs SoT.
Edit2: 7.75hrs SoT
No root access or modifications needed for these.
This is my first Android device
and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned mostly reading these forums. It also annoys me to read users complain about their battery life but are unwilling to do anything about it. I hope this will help people to realize the full potential of their phone.
- Llama, Tasker, etc: Automate everything you can to save battery. It can be more efficient to run a line of code then to tap the screen.
- Force stop all the programs you don't really need running in the background in Settings > Apps > Running. Basically act like your own Greenify. Or use Greenify.
- Wakelocks: Track the "Awake Time" of suspicious applications and services and either reboot or force stop them if necessary.
- Disable Google applications you don't need. Myself I disabled Chrome, Gmail and News & Weather.
- Disable: touch and typing vibration. I have type sounds On and touch sounds Off because those really add up on speaker.
- Disable: NFC, Bluetooth, Wireless printing etc. Automate to run only when needed for no lost functionality.
- Wifi: Automate to turn on only for Wifi zones of your choice. No lost functionality. Wifi always scanning: Off.
- Notifications: Apps and games can send you unnecessary notifications. Disable them. Enable only what you need.
- Hotword detection: off. This specifically drains SoT and saves only a single screen tap.
- Widgets: These drain battery without ever showing up individually on the stats page. Silent killers.
- Lux: Another silent killer even when set "On Wake only" and "Slow". Just by disabling Lux lite and a once-daily updated Feedly widget I noticed significant SoT gains. Using Llama to automate brightness is more efficient.
- Speaker vs Headphones: The speaker seems to use more battery.
Two apps that can help you monitor your battery and phone with no root requirement:
Play Store Link.
Current Widget - Set to update manually on your home screen for minimal power draw. Check your charge and discharge rates along with battery temperature.
Play Store Link.
S Tools+ - This just popped up in the XDA apps section the other day. Detailed information on CPU states, Deep Sleep time and ALL your sensors, nicely graphed and very polished including transparent nav bar. Other than real time graphing of sensors this shouldn't be much of a drain.