XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.1 ota waiting room

Tip us?

MarcoMontreal1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default 4.4.1 ota waiting room

I thought id create a thread for stock users how are not rooted and are waiting for the OTA . I am in Montreal and still haven't received the ota yet
Nexus 5 white 32 gb
Android 4.4 kitkat stock

Hurizen
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoMontreal1 View Post
I thought id create a thread for stock users how are not rooted and are waiting for the OTA . I am in Montreal and still haven't received the ota yet
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523217

*Rooted* LG Google Nexus 5

Previous Android Phones:
HTC One S (S4)
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire
HTC Legend
Samsung Galaxy

lightfire
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurizen View Post
That thread hasn't any posts in 28 pages of anyone who actually received an over the air update.

OP: your thread I think is a good one.
I have not received an over the air update (which DOESN"T mean "manually downloaded over the internet from a fileserver" but sent to the phone direct from google. Also I don't expect it for several days to a week or so.

A lot of people, including myself, purchased a nexus device specifically because we wish to not have to hassle with manually updating roms and manual updates due to not having the latest operating system on a phone. So we are waiting on google to send it out. Within 2 weeks we will all have it.

Hurizen
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
That thread hasn't any posts in 28 pages of anyone who actually received an over the air update.

OP: your thread I think is a good one.
I have not received an over the air update (which DOESN"T mean "manually downloaded over the internet from a fileserver" but sent to the phone direct from google. Also I don't expect it for several days to a week or so.

A lot of people, including myself, purchased a nexus device specifically because we wish to not have to hassle with manually updating roms and manual updates due to not having the latest operating system on a phone. So we are waiting on google to send it out. Within 2 weeks we will all have it.
My quote to the thread was, actually, for this reason:

Quote:
Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.

IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!

That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.
So, mash away. Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.

Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something. -Dan Morrill
So, you just need to wait a bit.

*Rooted* LG Google Nexus 5

Previous Android Phones:
HTC One S (S4)
HTC Incredible S
HTC Desire
HTC Legend
Samsung Galaxy

lightfire
Old
Thanks Meter 6
OK. I have seen so many of the "you dumb***, why don't you download the file and root and... like the real people here do" threads that I incorrectly assumed your post was of the same caliber. Obviously I was wrong so my apologies.
Good advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to lightfire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndreaCristiano
Old
Thanks Meter 202
I do not think the OTA was even released yet if it was someone somewhere would have gotten it

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
OK. I have seen so many of the "you dumb***, why don't you download the file and root and... like the real people here do" threads that I incorrectly assumed your post was of the same caliber. Obviously I was wrong so my apologies.
Good advice.
It seems that the OTA has not been released and will be probably in the next days
"GOD WRITES THE GOSPEL NOT IN THE BIBLE ALONE, BUT ALSO ON THE TREES, AND IN THE FLOWERS AND CLOUDS AND STARS'
Martin Luther

onmike
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I look forward to this update

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pifsworld
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I for one welcome this thread as I'm waiting for the ota update for my stock unrooted N5, I hope this doesn't mean I'm taken less seriously in the future as we all had to start learning to root somewhere and sometime.
I'm in UK with no update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

AceKingNYC
Old
Thanks Meter 14
As someone in another post said - the update has probably been uploaded, but not officially pushed through to all Nexus 5 users. I'm sure it will happen shortly.

crachel
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 2423
El Daddy has an excellent sticky thread [INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk which explains how to sideload an OTA to your stock/unrooted device. This is fully supported method provided by Google themselves. The OTA can be downloaded direct from Google servers and if it was tampered with, it wouldn't pass signature checks.

They have also had engineers explain how their OTA rollouts work, including expected time frames.

What all this means is there's no reason for us to try and reverse engineer this process anymore and therefore this thread's only purpose is chatter that amounts to nothing

Closed

moto x: 4.4 | flo: 4.4

other: Chromecast | Chromebook | System76 | MacBook Air

former: hammerhead | m7 | mako | Kindle Fire | CR-48 | Revue | grouper | maguro | crespo | passion | GT-I9100 | vision | rhodium | kaiser

The Following User Says Thank You to crachel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe