FORUMS

Other than XDA (of Course), What’s Your Favorite Site That Covers Android?

There is a number of other great sites that cover … more

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more

YotaPhone 2 Pre-Order, Xperia Z1 Price Cut – XDA TV

Android Wear 5.1.1 OTA downloads are now available. That and much more news is … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Flashlight/Camera Bug Back in 5.1

13th March 2015, 10:49 PM |#1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 598

Donate to Me
More
Remember the bug a while back where if you turned on the flash, it would time out in a minute or so and turn itself off? And then you would get the "Cannot connect to camera" bug and couldn't use the flash or camera until you rebooted?

That was either in the L dev preview or 5.0.0, i don't remember. It seemed to be fixed in the latest patch prior to 5.1, though.

Sadly, it appears to be back in 5.1. Is there an open bug for this?

13th March 2015, 10:51 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Oh gawd
13th March 2015, 11:20 PM |#3  
Flag Southern IL USA
Thanks Meter: 118

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotherius

Remember the bug a while back where if you turned on the flash, it would time out in a minute or so and turn itself off? And then you would get the "Cannot connect to camera" bug and couldn't use the flash or camera until you rebooted?

FWIW, I have never been able to duplicate the problem on my N5, either with 5.0.1 or with 5.1. Just now I turned on the flashlight via the quick settings shade and left it on for over 10 minutes. It stayed on all that time, and after I turned it off, the camera is working fine. I don't know what to conclude, but I'm glad I'm not experiencing the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSX321 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 12:18 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Also was there with 5.0.1

Sometimes the flashlight worked, but most of the time it behaved the way as in OPs post.

Annoying, especially since Xposed also doesn't work with 5.1.....used the Wanam Torch module the whole time.
14th March 2015, 01:00 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,289

Donate to Me
More
Yeah Wow and I thought I was the only person with this problem I thought my flashlight LED blew out the first time it happened because it wouldn't turn back on until after I Rebooted.
14th March 2015, 01:56 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
yup, had the problem just now..
14th March 2015, 04:14 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,196

More
The bug is NOT because of Android.
The bug is that one of your APPS is poorly written, it is using the camera HAL and is not releasing it properly after use, as only one process can use the camera HAL at any given time.

Such culprit apps are usually video call apps (e.g. Skype), instant photo-sharing apps (e.g. Snapchat), flashlight apps, or a poorly written 3rd party camera app.

The timing out is likely to prevent you from burning out the flash, as it's main purpose only involves a brief flash, not continuous use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elluel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2015, 07:45 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluel

The bug is NOT because of Android.
The bug is that one of your APPS is poorly written, it is using the camera HAL and is not releasing it properly after use, as only one process can use the camera HAL at any given time.

Such culprit apps are usually video call apps (e.g. Skype), instant photo-sharing apps (e.g. Snapchat), flashlight apps, or a poorly written 3rd party camera app.

The timing out is likely to prevent you from burning out the flash, as it's main purpose only involves a brief flash, not continuous use.

Wrong, faced it on Day 1 when i was in 5.0, it was a clean flash of factory image with no user apps installed.
In 5.1 so far i haven't encountered that bug.
The Following User Says Thank You to #sharath For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2015, 12:52 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Didnt experience it before 5.1 but now do
15th March 2015, 01:19 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2,428

More
It did it on the developer preview also

Sent via tapatalk from my cataclysm'd Lollipooop Nexus 5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread