Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,594 Members 53,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART Explained

Tip us?

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1889

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
Well it's official! Just read an article on XDA portal. Google is replacing dalvik with art finally. I guess the changes were added to AOSP for the next OS.

check it out, top story on xda portal right now!
Yeah..

Dalvik is dead, long live Dalvik! DO NOT MERGE

https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/98553/
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zander21510
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash3656 View Post

Hmmm. Not saying you're wrong. In my experience, using ART seems to have about the same battery life as dalvik. Or a little worse.

It might be just my setup and personally I don't worry too much about the little extra drain.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I've heard lots of different things so I'd be inclined to think it was in my head, but I literally went from a full day of charge to two, its unbelievable.. Could be a combination of other stuff but I run all these apps watch video everything...I just make sure wakelocks don't show up.
Google Nexus 5 w/CM11 Official Nightly
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/CM11 Unofficial Nightly

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
Yeah I've heard lots of different things so I'd be inclined to think it was in my head, but I literally went from a full day of charge to two, its unbelievable.. Could be a combination of other stuff but I run all these apps watch video everything...I just make sure wakelocks don't show up.
Testing has shown between 0-3% difference in battery life, basically within the margin of error to show no noticeable improvement with ART. I think the placebo effect is just strong since in theory it should use less once the compilation process is completed.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01...t-not-too-bad/
W32

zander21510
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Testing has shown between 0-3% difference in battery life, basically within the margin of error to show no noticeable improvement with ART. I think the placebo effect is just strong since in theory it should use less once the compilation process is completed.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01...t-not-too-bad/
Nice article. I guess the only other explaination that I've always thought is that ART broke some background process that might have been draining battery...but all these months later I haven't noticed anything...oh well.
Google Nexus 5 w/CM11 Official Nightly
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/CM11 Unofficial Nightly

TheLastSidekick
Old
(Last edited by TheLastSidekick; 22nd June 2014 at 09:20 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1923

DONATE TO ME
Art was not a pleasant experience before at least for me. A lot of apps weren't working, tons of boot loops. But from 4.4.1 to 4.4.4 ART seems to have gotten better for me and the changes are extreme. I will go as far as to say I haven't experienced a single problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Team Inferno (Co-admin)

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 327
Just made the switch to ART (late to the party) after 3 months of owning this device. Absolutely zero issues thus far. Definitely seems to be snappier response wise.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.