Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

AT&T reports my Nexus 5 as "LG 821"

OP mr_blanket

13th March 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Meter: 41

170 posts
More
I thought this was kind of interesting...
I bought my Nexus 5 from Tmobile (north america), found out that I have very little (read: zero) coverage between my home and work, so I had to cancel. I went ahead and paid off the N5 and switched to AT&T.

Oddly enough, the myAT&T screen shows me as having a LG 821, which, I believe, is the international version!

I found that concerning as I thought Tmobile might have worked better for me if I had the correct phone... but my bootloader shows D820.

Anyone else have the same quark on their myAT&T page?

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_blanket For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 140

931 posts
More
Funny - never noticed this before either, but AT&T reports mine as the 821 also.

I have the 820 model.
14th March 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 216

594 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_blanket

I thought this was kind of interesting...
I bought my Nexus 5 from Tmobile (north america), found out that I have very little (read: zero) coverage between my home and work, so I had to cancel. I went ahead and paid off the N5 and switched to AT&T.

Oddly enough, the myAT&T screen shows me as having a LG 821, which, I believe, is the international version!

I found that concerning as I thought Tmobile might have worked better for me if I had the correct phone... but my bootloader shows D820.

Anyone else have the same quark on their myAT&T page?

My wife and I both have Nexus 5's on at&t. I bought her's from google and mine from tmobile. Ours both show 821 too, but they are 820's. If they were 821's, you would have no LTE. Im in atlanta with lte everywhere.
14th March 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Juan
Thanks Meter: 10

207 posts
More
LG 821 too, bought it from the Google store. I can use the wap.cingular apn only. No LTE for me.
14th March 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #5  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 484

834 posts
More
LG821 here as well. I have LTE using attphone APN. I had a Galaxy S4 (LTE) before it, just kept that plan so it all works. Have to have had a LTE capable phone before you get the N5 for it to work properly with your plan to access LTE>
14th March 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 33

124 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyMan

LG821 here as well. I have LTE using attphone APN. I had a Galaxy S4 (LTE) before it, just kept that plan so it all works. Have to have had a LTE capable phone before you get the N5 for it to work properly with your plan to access LTE>

Do any of you get throttled on AT&T with the Nexus 5? I have the Galaxy Nexus, but a cracked screen and now water damage is making me purchase a new phone, and I have yet to be throttled while regularly using over 5G/month.

Thanks!
14th March 2014, 03:39 PM   |  #7  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 226

592 posts
More
You only get throttled (or more accurately, your usage is only metered in the throttling system) when using PHONE or PTA apn. Using a galaxy nexus without lte, you're most likely on wap.cingular (which you can do on a phone with no lte). Once their system detects you're imei and determines you have an lte capable device, you're blocked from using wap.cingular, and this your usage will be monitored (as you'll need to use phone or pta). I can trick the system by putting my sim in my old non lte GS2 (i9100), doing "restore apns" then sim swapping back to my nexus 5. THEN I can use wap.cingular, but unfortunately after a day or two they do an imei sweep and I get locked out again On the bright side tmo just announced they'll be eliminating edge and upgrading everything to lte by 2015 so I'm looking forward to dumping ATT very soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
15th March 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #8  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 484

834 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwin97

Do any of you get throttled on AT&T with the Nexus 5? I have the Galaxy Nexus, but a cracked screen and now water damage is making me purchase a new phone, and I have yet to be throttled while regularly using over 5G/month.

Thanks!

No throttle. On 6gb family share plan now. I can get over 50mbit/s in SpeedTest with full LTE signal. 95% of the time I'm on WiFi so to boot LTE speeds don't really matter. My data usage last month was a whole 500mb.
15th March 2014, 12:07 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 716

1,404 posts
More
Not sure if the International has a different structure for the ESN/IMEI but its quite possible the 821 is what they have in their system as the Nexus 5. They do have traveling customers on the device but more likely prepaid customers. Interesting one indeed.
15th March 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #10  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 226

592 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyMan

No throttle. On 6gb family share plan now. I can get over 50mbit/s in SpeedTest with full LTE signal. 95% of the time I'm on WiFi so to boot LTE speeds don't really matter. My data usage last month was a whole 500mb.

He's asking about the UNLIMITED plan being throttled I'm sure, and yes it will after 5gb, unless you're on the wap.cingular apn as I described above.

I should mention that the Nexus 4 will NOT be blocked from wap.cingular as it does not have LTE, so if true unlimited data is that important maybe the Nexus 4 might be a better choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by compuw22c; 15th March 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread