Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,995 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[bootloader] [unbrick] Second Bootloader on Nexus 5

Tip us?

hacksome
Old
Thanks Meter 99
I used this Hellscore Kernel Manager app to download a version of HellScore Kernel and Flash. The app gave me an option to download the Kernel <hammerhead..xxxxxxx>, I selected it and flashed away. After a reboot, my phone was hard bricked. I am quite sure the version of the kernel, or the bootloader it packages along, are NOT tested/verified for Nexus 5. There was no way to unbrick the phone after you do this. Please note, if you are downloading the HellScore kernel from his d-h.st/users/hellsgod respository, this kind of messup never happens. This app is the culprit for auto downloading a non-tested kernel that overwrites the /boot partition with a wrong one - thus hard bricking the Nexus 5.

Had I seen this post / idea before - i could have saved on the replacement Logic board that the LG service center suggested.

Thank you!
░▒▓█ Nexus 5

The Following User Says Thank You to hacksome For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ltdrev
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Just helped someone else I didn't know all of that previously!
Thanks.
A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.
~Paul Erdos
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltdrev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gpvecchi
Old
Thanks Meter 194
I can't get into second bootloader...
Maybe I don't press the keys correctly..
Device: Black Nexus 5 32Gb
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Bootloader: Modded Z11k
Modem: 2.0.50.2.08
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1
Kernel: ElementalX
Mods: Debloated, updated Adreno drivers, Note 3 bionic+optimized dalvik, Tweaked camera quality, Blue MMS icon

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
I found this AFTER I wiped everything... had I known both this and that all that was wrong was a messed up boot loader, I could have preserved some stuff on my internal storage.

lesson learned.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
yea, unfortunately sh*t happens. but now we know, in case its needed again. its too bad that this post wasnt anywhere that would have been easy to find.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

LeoRex
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
yea, unfortunately sh*t happens. but now we know, in case its needed again. its too bad that this post wasnt anywhere that would have been easy to find.
well.... it's just a matter of finding the right search terms I guess. the problem here is that there's no error and the first time you hit it, you have no idea what the hell is wrong.

I mean, for the first 15 minutes or so, I thought the phone was completely toast. then I lucked into the secondary and realized that if I can get into that, at least I'll be able to flash stock. I can certainly see people just giving up and getting it replaced.

as an aside... If THIS didn't hard brick the phone, man, you must really have to put in effort to completely do this phone in.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20660
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
well.... it's just a matter of finding the right search terms I guess. the problem here is that there's no error and the first time you hit it, you have no idea what the hell is wrong.

I mean, for the first 15 minutes or so, I thought the phone was completely toast. then I lucked into the secondary and realized that if I can get into that, at least I'll be able to flash stock. I can certainly see people just giving up and getting it replaced.

as an aside... If THIS didn't hard brick the phone, man, you must really have to put in effort to completely do this phone in.
yea, generally it really is hard to brick a nexus. but there are ways if you really want to
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

alifetolive1234
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Very useful tut for me

Tags
bootloader, fastboot, nexus 5, unbrick