Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,781 Members 47,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Compass Issues

Tip us?
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#1  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default Compass Issues

So, I'm having issues with my compass.

It is consistently 45 to 90 degrees off (I notice it whenever I'm using Google Maps and centered on my location as opposed to navigation).

This is my first RMA'd device (but I did not RMA my first one specifically for the compass).

I've tried this "figure 8" gesture, and I've also tried the compass calibration within GPS Status. I'm sort of fed up with this. I have no idea how to fix it, and it's extremely annoying when I'm out in the city and I just want to know what direction I'm looking and what is in front of me/near me.

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
dia_naji
Old
#2  
dia_naji's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 271
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
So, I'm having issues with my compass.

It is consistently 45 to 90 degrees off (I notice it whenever I'm using Google Maps and centered on my location as opposed to navigation).

This is my first RMA'd device (but I did not RMA my first one specifically for the compass).

I've tried this "figure 8" gesture, and I've also tried the compass calibration within GPS Status. I'm sort of fed up with this. I have no idea how to fix it, and it's extremely annoying when I'm out in the city and I just want to know what direction I'm looking and what is in front of me/near me.

Any ideas?
Posted in the wrong section. Nonetheless, have you tried a factory reset or re flash ?
[CENTER]Current Devices

HTC One M8
Rom: Venom Rom 2.40
Kernel: Stock
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#3  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dia_naji View Post
Posted in the wrong section. Nonetheless, have you tried a factory reset or re flash ?
No, it's not the wrong section. This isn't a support question, it's a discussion of the compass issues I'm experiencing. As the forum title states, this section is for discussion, and tips/tricks. The "any ideas?" I added to the end does not make it a discussion, it invites people to contribute. Not that I don't appreciate your help, please don't take it that way.

A factory reset has not helped. It is consistent over many ROMs, including bone-stock. Eventually, it evens out, temporarily, and then it skews itself again, always counter-clockwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
dia_naji
Old
#4  
dia_naji's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 271
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSolstice View Post
No, it's not the wrong section. This isn't a support question, it's a discussion of the compass issues I'm experiencing. As the forum title states, this section is for discussion, and tips/tricks. The "any ideas?" I added to the end does not make it a discussion, it invites people to contribute. Not that I don't appreciate your help, please don't take it that way.

A factory reset has not helped. It is consistent over many ROMs, including bone-stock. Eventually, it evens out, temporarily, and then it skews itself again, always counter-clockwise.
Oops, I did not read " any ideas ?" so my apologies. My friend had the same issue and he did an RMA. They told him it was an issue with the GPS. It was strange becuase his would go up to 98 C in less than 5 minutes. Got his device back about a month a go and never had that issue again.
[CENTER]Current Devices

HTC One M8
Rom: Venom Rom 2.40
Kernel: Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to dia_naji For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#5  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dia_naji View Post
Oops, I did not read " any ideas ?" so my apologies. My friend had the same issue and he did an RMA. They told him it was an issue with the GPS. It was strange becuase his would go up to 98 C in less than 5 minutes. Got his device back about a month a go and never had that issue again.
I hope I don't have to RMA to fix it. Navigation works fine because I think it uses speed and vectors to determine where I am moving, but the Maps part is just a tad annoying.

I definitely don't have heat issues though, so I'm happy about that. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
apoorv24
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 99
Join Date: Jul 2011
Even I have the same issue with my N5... but since I don't use maps a lot, I don't think I'll RMA it just for this reason even though it is annoying...
 
LiquidSolstice
Old
#7  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4,448
Posts: 4,647
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoorv24 View Post
Even I have the same issue with my N5... but since I don't use maps a lot, I don't think I'll RMA it just for this reason even though it is annoying...
That seems to be the conclusion I'm arriving at.

I know the N4 had a compass fix, I'm not sure if the N5 will get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Yeah, like people read the OP. Thats the best place to keep a secret on XDA.
 
morningglory
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Oct 2013
I have the same problem. Neither calibration nor factory reset helps. Several compass apps report "abnormal magnetic field strength". A few weeks ago I rebootet the phone and suddenly it worked correct. But after the next reboot it stopped working again. No matter how often I reboot the phone now, the compass just stays broken.
 
Lownita
Old
#9  
Lownita's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 208
Posts: 1,546
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Mine was off too, but after calibrating with https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sim.gpsstatus2 it works as it should.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lownita For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Jair Player with a Major Update–Here’s What’s New!

Back in May, we talked a bit aboutJair Player, a nice looking music … more

Paid Android App Developers Will Soon Have to Provide Physical Address

Google has now changed its policies regarding paid app developers. … more

Windows Developers Rejoice! Dev Program’s $99 Yearly Fee is No More!

Microsoft rule in the mobile market, much like the giant dinosaurs … more

Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more