5,605,120 Members 37,095 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

cracked screen

Tip us?
 
pootown
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Unhappy cracked screen

that was fast

24 hours, slipped out my hand when bent to tie my show, 2 feet off the ground it landed flat on the ground. Shattered.

I want to blame myself but this wasn't an epic slip, I guess there's a magic spot you dont want to hit if this thing falls but if its that easy I think alot of people are going to be doing the same.

Maybe someone at support is having a good day, doubtful. I can;t buy another one tho if it breaks so easily. I've never actually cracked a screen before.

it looks like a tall iphone now

FML
 
kaywalker23
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 48
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootown View Post
that was fast

24 hours, slipped out my hand when bent to tie my show, 2 feet off the ground it landed flat on the ground. Shattered.

I want to blame myself but this wasn't an epic slip, I guess there's a magic spot you dont want to hit if this thing falls but if its that easy I think alot of people are going to be doing the same.

Maybe someone at support is having a good day, doubtful. I can;t buy another one tho if it breaks so easily. I've never actually cracked a screen before.

it looks like a tall iphone now

FML
my condolences. I know how it feels. I got mine today but my case is coming in next week. crossing my fingers to keep the damn thing safe till then
 
sn0warmy
Old
#3  
sn0warmy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 678
Posts: 1,586
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootown View Post
that was fast

24 hours, slipped out my hand when bent to tie my show, 2 feet off the ground it landed flat on the ground. Shattered.

I want to blame myself but ...
I'll just stop you there. It's a smartphone. Without a case, if dropped, it will break. Period. I'm sorry for your situation but this is why cases are so widely used.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pootown
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 90
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaywalker23 View Post
my condolences. I know how it feels. I got mine today but my case is coming in next week. crossing my fingers to keep the damn thing safe till then
i have dropped my GS3 face down while riding a bicycle and it's fine. Then probably 20 times in a similar instance to just now all i have on that are some some scraches.

Trying to get in touch with LG see what they charge for screen replacement, a post on the LG G2 forum says $105 plys shipping.
 
sn0warmy
Old
#5  
sn0warmy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 678
Posts: 1,586
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootown View Post
i have dropped my GS3 face down while riding a bicycle and it's fine. Then probably 20 times in a similar instance to just now all i have on that are some some scraches.

Trying to get in touch with LG see what they charge for screen replacement, a post on the LG G2 forum says $105 plys shipping.
If that's accurate that isn't too bad! I know when I cracked my Galaxy Nexus screen last year I just called Google and they sent me a new phone, charged me the full price of the phone, then when I returned my broken one they refunded all but $100. It was a damn good deal in my opinion. You might want to give that a try instead of dealing with LG.
 
JCreazy
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 423
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
No one to blame but yourself. That sucks though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to JCreazy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
HRodMusic
Old
#7  
HRodMusic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 1,611
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle
Ive only dropped one phone in my life time, htc one x, and the first fall equaled shattered screen =(
Carrier: AT&T
Phone: HTC One (M8)

Phones
HTC Diamond->Blackberry Curve->G1->Motorola Rockr E8->IPhone 3G->Galaxy S Vibrant->IPhone 4-> HTC Sensation->Sidekick 4G ->SGS2 -> Galaxy Nexus-> IPhone 4S 32gb white- > Skyrocket-> Galaxy S3-> Nexus 4-> HTC One X -> White 32gb iPhone 5 ->Galaxy Note II -> HTC One -> Snowtrooper Nexus 5 32GB -> Note 3 -> LG G2 -> HTC ONE M8
 
GR36
Old
#8  
GR36's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 141
Posts: 575
Join Date: Apr 2011
I have done the same to gs3, nexus 4, HTC one (yes I am clumsy) they are all as brittle as each other. I just make sure I have insurance!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
New Jer-Z
Old
#9  
New Jer-Z's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 266
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Ouch. I cracked my Nexus 4 screen 3 times. Sent it o LG every time lol. The last time I sent it, they actually just fixed it for me for free, which was really nice of them.

Anyways, if it really no a $105, this isn't bad. It was around $150 to fix the N4 each time I cracked. The digitizer was literally right on the glass in the Nexus 4, so even the smallest chip could render the entire screen unusable. As was what happened to me.

Nexus 5 has Gorilla Glass 3. I really hope that makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
JCreazy
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 423
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Gorilla glass prevents scratching, not cracking.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes