Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dark video recording on 4.4.2 possible fix

Tip us?

serzhanja
Old
(Last edited by serzhanja; 24th March 2014 at 08:03 PM.) Reason: embedded youtube
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Dark video recording on 4.4.2 possible fix

Hello!

As many of you have noticed, after updating to 4.4.1 and 4.4.2, a recorded video with stock camera is a lot darker than it was on 4.4. It was done probably to increase framerate at night, but crippled low-light video capability. I have noticed that Camera MX by MAGIX allows recording video with lower framerate in low light, but a lot brighter, almost like it was on 4.4, and in full HD resolution.

Below are two samples

Notice higher framerate but darker image.

Notice lower framerate but brighter image.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serzhanja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

italia0101
Old
Thanks Meter 873
Nice find, the 4.4.2 update made the video recording in low light unusable for me really , way to dark

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

serzhanja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Callam View Post
It may be your camera device problem. you can go your servicing center and fix it.

Definitely not a camera sensor issue, since I know and have seen how MY nexus 5 stock camera shot video in low light on 4.4 and how badly it does now on 4.4.2. I reverted back to 4.4 and video in low light is brighter.

There's another repeatable glitch. When switching to Panorama mode in stock camera (not photosphere, panorama) and then to Video recording mode, the image in the viewfinder becomes brighter and stretched, and when you press Record, it reverts to dark video.
The Following User Says Thank You to serzhanja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DanielMod
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Same thing I noticed.
The camera software needs a fix,so as immersive mode bugs.
If I Helped,Please Push The Thanks Button