Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Data Only Nexus 5 - Starting At $15/Month

OP iHelp101

4th May 2014, 02:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
I have seen an uprising in the amount of threads regarding data only plans for the Nexus 5. I currently use this model and I thought I would share my input. First you are not going to be able to get a T-Mobile tablet sim and put it in your Nexus 5. T-Mobile looks up IMEI numbers when a device connects to their tower. They see a non-tablet device on their network and bam you get the upsell page. A counter to this is Red Pocket Mobile. Red Pocket Mobile uses T-Mobile towers (MVNO), but doesn't use these strict data only on tablets rules. I will below run down my cost and services that I personally use. Also Red Pocket Mobile has 3GB and 5GB data plans if you need extra data. This cheap plan is for people that use very little data. If you want to tether all day then this plan isn't right for you unless you get one of the Unlimited 3G or 5GB data plans.


Skype - $2.99/Month Unlimited Calls
LocalPhone - $0.99/Month DID Number
Red Pocket Mobile - $10/Month (1GB Data)

Total - $13.98


So I use LocalPhone for my DID Number, which is basically a virtual local phone number that I can forward to my sip address. This is used to receive calls. In Google Voice I simply add this DID number as one of the phone numbers to forward calls to. This allows someone to call me through Google Voice and have my SIP address being triggered. I use Skype simply because it is very easy to use in my opinion. I also like being able to make calls from my computer when I need to. You can easily replaced this with a LocalPhone subscription ($1.60 for 800 Minutes). I use Skype strictly for outgoing calls. I recommend Skype for outgoing because the Nexus 5 doesn't appear to have noise cancellation when using SIP. You can use a SIP client, but I prefer to use the stock dialer to receive and look at past calls. This plan works for people that use little data every month. I am connected to wifi all the time, so I don't use much of my carriers data. If you need to have more data the T-Mobile $30 5GB prepaid plan is probably best for you. This is simply for budget users that would like to save more money because they use less data than others.


Pros:
Cheap ($10/1GB Data)
No Extra Cost For Tethering
Unlimited Calls/Text

Cons:
No 4G LTE (HSPA+)
No MMS via Google Voice (Can Receive MMS)
Most Likely Have To Change Your Phone Number (Possible To Port In Big Cities)
Nexus 5 Has SIP Audio Issues (Echo When Volume Is High)
Strict 1GB Limit (No Overages On $10 Plan)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iHelp101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #2  
hyelton's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Wilmington
Thanks Meter: 2,773
 
5,586 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHelp101

I have seen an uprising in the amount of threads regarding data only plans for the Nexus 5. I currently use this model and I thought I would share my input. First you are not going to be able to get a T-Mobile tablet sim and put it in your Nexus 5. T-Mobile looks up IMEI numbers when a device connects to their tower. They see a non-tablet device on their network and bam you get the upsell page. A counter to this is Red Pocket Mobile. Red Pocket Mobile uses T-Mobile towers (MVNO), but doesn't use these strict data only on tablets rules. I will below run down my cost and services that I personally use. Also Red Pocket Mobile has 3GB and 5GB data plans if you need extra data. This cheap plan is for people that use very little data. If you want to tether all day then this plan isn't right for you unless you get one of the Unlimited 3G or 5GB data plans.


Skype - $2.99/Month Unlimited Calls
LocalPhone - $0.99/Month DID Number
Red Pocket Mobile - $10/Month (1GB Data)

Total - $13.98


So I use LocalPhone for my DID Number, which is basically a virtual local phone number that I can forward to my sip address. This is used to receive calls. In Google Voice I simply add this DID number as one of the phone numbers to forward calls to. This allows someone to call me through Google Voice and have my SIP address being triggered. I use Skype simply because it is very easy to use in my opinion. I also like being able to make calls from my computer when I need to. You can easily replaced this with a LocalPhone subscription ($1.60 for 800 Minutes). I use Skype strictly for outgoing calls. I recommend Skype for outgoing because the Nexus 5 doesn't appear to have noise cancellation when using SIP. You can use a SIP client, but I prefer to use the stock dialer to receive and look at past calls. This plan works for people that use little data every month. I am connected to wifi all the time, so I don't use much of my carriers data. If you need to have more data the T-Mobile $30 5GB prepaid plan is probably best for you. This is simply for budget users that would like to save more money because they use less data than others.


Pros:
Cheap ($10/1GB Data)
No Extra Cost For Tethering
Unlimited Calls/Text

Cons:
No 4G LTE (HSPA+)
No MMS via Google Voice (Can Receive MMS)
Most Likely Have To Change Your Phone Number (Possible To Port In Big Cities)
Nexus 5 Has SIP Audio Issues (Echo When Volume Is High)
Strict 1GB Limit (No Overages On $10 Plan)

Deleted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
5th May 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #3  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,846
 
27,455 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHelp101

Pros:
Cheap ($10/1GB Data)
No Extra Cost For Tethering
Unlimited Calls/Text

Cons:
No 4G LTE (HSPA+)
No MMS via Google Voice (Can Receive MMS)
Most Likely Have To Change Your Phone Number (Possible To Port In Big Cities)
Nexus 5 Has SIP Audio Issues (Echo When Volume Is High)
Strict 1GB Limit (No Overages On $10 Plan)

your pros arent very good. $10 per gb data kinda sucks, and tmobile doesnt charge for tethering as well.
5th May 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 435
 
922 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

your pros arent very good. $10 per gb data kinda sucks, and tmobile doesnt charge for tethering as well.

well, if you don't talk that much (mostly text messages/data browsing), and want to pay minimal for a cellular connection just so that people can contact you, you choices would be

1) Republic Wireless $10 unlimited cell only (or $15 cell + 3G data)
2) Ting $6/month base fee + usage fees
but if you dislike the Sprint network, then you have

3) this $10/1GB plan
4) t-mobile $30/month 5GB + 100 min + unl text

and if you dislike the t-mobile network, you have
5) AIO $25/month cell only, $35/month 500MB data
6) StraightTalk $30/month 100MB or $45/month for 3GB

i'm sure people fit into different categories based on their usage patterns / budget


and seeing that at&t charges you between $15-$67/GB for data (depending on your data bucket and overages), $10/GB on t-mobile doesn't see that bad
Last edited by paperWastage; 5th May 2014 at 08:04 PM.
5th May 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #5  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,846
 
27,455 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperWastage

well, if you don't talk that much (mostly text messages/data browsing), and want to pay minimal for a cellular connection just so that people can contact you, you choices would be

1) Republic Wireless $10 unlimited cell only (or $15 cell + 3G data)
2) Ting $6/month base fee + usage fees
but if you dislike the Sprint network, then you have

3) this $10/1GB plan
4) t-mobile $30/month 5GB + 100 min + unl text

and if you dislike the t-mobile network, you have
5) AIO $25/month cell only, $35/month 500MB data
6) StraightTalk $30/month 100MB or $45/month for 3GB

i'm sure people fit into different categories based on their usage patterns / budget


and seeing that at&t charges you between $15-$67/GB for data (depending on your data bucket and overages), $10/GB on t-mobile doesn't see that bad

heres a better deal, with $30 for 5gb http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=9
5th May 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 435
 
922 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

heres a better deal, with $30 for 5gb http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=9

yes i know.. it's number 4 on my list

but if you are willing to spend only $10/month, this works...
5th May 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #7  
MrObvious's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wichita KS
Thanks Meter: 280
 
2,027 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperWastage

yes i know.. it's number 4 on my list

but if you are willing to spend only $10/month, this works...

It is a good deal. Thanks OP for the tip.
7th May 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82
 
249 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHelp101

I recommend Skype for outgoing because the Nexus 5 doesn't appear to have noise cancellation when using SIP. You can use a SIP client, but I prefer to use the stock dialer to receive and look at past calls.

...

Cons:
No 4G LTE (HSPA+)

...

Nexus 5 Has SIP Audio Issues (Echo When Volume Is High)

While I highly concur with you in that the built-in Android SIP client needs lots of love from Google and itís not that great (but it does work), ďin this day and ageĒ why bother without LTE? Itís FAST and has far less latency than HSPA and 3G, which is important when doing voice over data networks.
7th May 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkXDA

While I highly concur with you in that the built-in Android SIP client needs lots of love from Google and itís not that great (but it does work), ďin this day and ageĒ why bother without LTE? Itís FAST and has far less latency than HSPA and 3G, which is important when doing voice over data networks.

In my city LTE runs at the same speed as HSPA+. They also have very similar latencies when tested. Both LTE and HSPA+ max at 15 mbps in my city (Fort Myers, FL). So I honestly see no difference. Like people have mentioned this is for people that want a cheap plan. The $30 T-Mobile 5GB plan is great if you use a lot of data. Some people like myself use their phone minimally on their data network. I use my phone a lot, but mostly when on wi-fi. The only time I need data is when I am not connected to wi-fi and need to be able to receive calls through Google Voice. I have wi-fi at my job and home, so that is a large percent of the time I use data. If I am at another individuals home I simply ask for the wi-fi password.

The Following User Says Thank You to iHelp101 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes