Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

dying pixels :(

Tip us?
 
Enddo
Old
#1  
Enddo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,393
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default dying pixels :(

I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone to check their screens for dead pixels. I ordered my N5 on launch day and it was perfect except for one dead pixel at the top 25% of the screen, right in the middle.

Since the pixels are so small this was something I could overlook but it still annoyed me to see it every now and then while thinking I had some dust or dirt on screen. The other day I noticed another dead pixel at the bottom 25% of the screen, right around the middle again. This made me paranoid that the screen was dying or something so I downloaded an app to check and make sure.

When I opened the app I noticed a 3rd dead pixel. These last two pixels couldn't be more than 2 weeks old. The device is old enough that I doubt Google will accept it for a return so I went ahead and ordered a new Nexus 5. I'll be giving this one to my father or maybe a family member as long as the new one doesn't have any defects.

So download an app to check your device for dead/stuck pixels. I'm not sure if my issue is related to launch day panels or if I'm just an isolated incident. Positive thoughts that my new Nexus 5 will be defect-free!

Nexus 5 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Paranoid Android
 
FuMMoD
Old
#2  
FuMMoD's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2214
Posts: 4,516
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Florida

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo View Post
I just wanted to pop in and remind everyone to check their screens for dead pixels. I ordered my N5 on launch day and it was perfect except for one dead pixel at the top 25% of the screen, right in the middle.

Since the pixels are so small this was something I could overlook but it still annoyed me to see it every now and then while thinking I had some dust or dirt on screen. The other day I noticed another dead pixel at the bottom 25% of the screen, right around the middle again. This made me paranoid that the screen was dying or something so I downloaded an app to check and make sure.

When I opened the app I noticed a 3rd dead pixel. These last two pixels couldn't be more than 2 weeks old. The device is old enough that I doubt Google will accept it for a return so I went ahead and ordered a new Nexus 5. I'll be giving this one to my father or maybe a family member as long as the new one doesn't have any defects.

So download an app to check your device for dead/stuck pixels. I'm not sure if my issue is related to launch day panels or if I'm just an isolated incident. Positive thoughts that my new Nexus 5 will be defect-free!
Warranty covers your phone for a full year from hardware failures. You could have it replace up to November if you ordered in November.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
RoyJ
Old
#3  
RoyJ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1205
Posts: 2,333
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo View Post
. . .The device is old enough that I doubt Google will accept it for a return so I went ahead and ordered a new Nexus 5. . .
Wait, are you serious?? The device was released October 31st 2013. It isn't even a year old yet...You still have manufacturer warranty from LG. They offer 12 months...Did you even try contacting them? [emoji85]
*Click for device info
 

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus
 
Enddo
Old
#4  
Enddo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,393
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
Wait, are you serious?? The device was released October 31st 2013. It isn't even a year old yet...You still have manufacturer warranty from LG. They offer 12 months...Did you even try contacting them? [emoji85]
sadly, i never even thought about contacting LG. I looked over the Google page and read that returns were only allowed for 15 days after purchase

Nexus 5 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Paranoid Android
 
RoyJ
Old
#5  
RoyJ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1205
Posts: 2,333
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 203
Well you could always send in your 5 for repair. Just list the new one on eBay with a NIB tag. (New In Box). You could probably get your money back or even make a profit from someone buying it where play store doesn't offer it.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Or swappa.com is a good place as well
*Click for device info
 

ROM: All of them at least once
KERNEL: Bricked Stable
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3.6.4
Other Devices: Galaxy Nexus
 
mmmmBACON
Old
#6  
mmmmBACON's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 936
Posts: 806
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo View Post
sadly, i never even thought about contacting LG. I looked over the Google page and read that returns were only allowed for 15 days after purchase
No questions asked returns are the first 15 days. There is still the regular 1 year warranty for defective products (excluding user created).

Call the Google line, and tell them you have multiple dead pixels and would like to RMA for a replacement. They will charge your CC with a temporary hold for the amount of a new phone and send you a new one. You keep yours until the new one arrives. Return the old one in the shipping box they shipped your replacement in, and once the tracking is up on their system they will remove the temporary charge from your CC.

A replacement is super easy to get if your phone is defective.
 
bblzd
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 252
Posts: 1,179
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto
As mentioned you can always RMA during the 1 year warranty. You just can't get your money back after 15 days.

Still a good idea to give it to your dad, just remember to RMA it before the warranty expires.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32
 
bushako
Old
#8  
bushako's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 1,050
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai
Just checked the RGB colour background including black. Perfectly fine😀
Nexus 5 32GB, Mahdi Rom 2.5, Franco Kernel and FKU.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes