5,604,050 Members 46,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally got the N5 to lag

Tip us?

skyyrocket
Old
Thanks Meter 311

DONATE TO ME
@fruitsalt Wanna see the the iPhone and iPads lag swipe down to get to the search and if your running ios 6 or older swipe left on the home screen. This has been a problem since god know's when. Now I am person that love tech and I love all devices apple included.. Hell my last 2 phones after my S4 was the iPhone 5 and 5s and don't get me wrong both are amazing devices but when I had my 5 and 5s i did notice some lag and touch response issues. The US version of the S3 was a dual core with 2gb of ram and was the best selling phone of 2012 and changed the game for android. Also this was a problem when Intel and Amd first released there Quad Cores, nothing was really optimized for the extra cores and in some cases the higher end dual cores would beat out the Quad cores due programs and software not fully being used to there full potential. Also Ios 7 and all ios version before are really dumbed down as in the requirements needed to run it, Not only that Apple has done one hell of a job optimizing their software to run near perfectly on their hardware. Kit-katt for some reason has that issue with calls ending and it getting stuck so I really think its more of a bug then a hardware issues. The problem I think with android manufacturers and Google is they rushed to push out quad core cpus without really optimizing for it. My current device is the Note 3 and I love that thing and to be honest it doesn't lag or stutter maybe a few minor glitches but it feels faster and better then my 5s did and Samsung has the biggest issue of just stuffing more faster hardware instead of optimizing their software but I think they learned from the S4 that faster specs doesn't mean a better System performance or User experience
Black Galaxy Note 3 T-mobile 'My Baby'
Black HTC ONE 'Dust Collector'
Black Galaxy s4 'Traded'
Silver HTC ONE 'Traded'
White Galaxy s4 'Traded'
Blue Galaxy s3 'Sold'
Galaxy note 2 'Sold'
Iphone 5 'Sold'

fruitsalt
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyyrocket View Post
@fruitsalt Wanna see the the iPhone and iPads lag swipe down to get to the search and if your running ios 6 or older swipe left on the home screen. This has been a problem since god know's when. Now I am person that love tech and I love all devices apple included.. Hell my last 2 phones after my S4 was the iPhone 5 and 5s and don't get me wrong both are amazing devices ........................................System performance or User experience
I see your point, but the phone only lagged a bit the first time i did that. Repeated attempts did not produce any hint of lag.

True, that hardware is only good as the software that runs on it. And sooner or later we are going to see software optimized to run on the quad-core processors. iOS7 is really optimized to run on the hardware and thats where i would like to see android at. currently i dont get it how everyone says that android are better devices ( i think they are on par and sometimes a bit below iOS) when it already requires twice the resources to run as fluid as the iphone, example is see a device running anything before kitkat it wont run as smooth or fluid. Dont get me wrong im not bashing android and am not an apple fan boy, as i stated earlier i use both devices and each has its own use. But currently it feels like android is going towards who has the biggest engine instead of who has a better quality/optimized system. I definitely want to run KitKat on a dual core S3 to see how it performs, that would be more telling of the OS then running it on the latest and greatest quad-core phone.

BTW the best OS that i have ever used is BB10, that OS even half baked on the z10 was blazing fast and responsive and put both android and ios to shame. I hope BlackBerry can get their **** together and continue developing the OS, what it really lacks though is apps. Have gotten so accustomed to using some apps that i cant seem to survive without them.

ravenwood27
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Does anyone else's nexus 5 lag when they do this in a fast manner:

From the home screen, press the app drawer icon then quickly press the home icon...and just toggle repeatedly.
It's buttery and smooth most of the time..but at times it'll stutter noticeably.

same if you swipe to your other homescreens then press the home button to go to the main one and just do it fast...it'll stutter.

This MUST be software right ?? I struggle to believe the Snapdragon800 2.2 is having a hard time with these actions.

rancur3p1c
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwood27 View Post
Does anyone else's nexus 5 lag when they do this in a fast manner:

From the home screen, press the app drawer icon then quickly press the home icon...and just toggle repeatedly.
It's buttery and smooth most of the time..but at times it'll stutter noticeably.

same if you swipe to your other homescreens then press the home button to go to the main one and just do it fast...it'll stutter.

This MUST be software right ?? I struggle to believe the Snapdragon800 2.2 is having a hard time with these actions.
I dont' have this problem what kernel you running I'm on faux123 underclocked to 1.6ghz

ravenwood27
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancur3p1c View Post
I dont' have this problem what kernel you running I'm on faux123 underclocked to 1.6ghz
Stock kitkat....so basically dalvik

wewewi999
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I just tried GTA Vice City and at full resolution, with max settings and dynamic shadows, it lags aplenty. Barely playable.

I had to set resolution to 75% and set settings to high to get acceptable framerate.
-----------------
Creator of WMOD (AOSP 2.2.1) for Archos 5 Internet Tablet
How to multi-boot your Archos5it english version / french version

neoneras
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewewi999 View Post
I just tried GTA Vice City and at full resolution, with max settings and dynamic shadows, it lags aplenty. Barely playable.

I had to set resolution to 75% and set settings to high to get acceptable framerate.
Well, what do you expect from game that is ported, Don't forget that Rockstar is not the studio that likes to optimize it's software. If you port it for specific device (for example any iOS ecosystem device) you can get few cheap optimizations running. But when you're porting software to various different devices at the same time, what do you expect?