Google Nexus 5 software updates vs. iPhone update speed

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
iOS 7 was released on September 18, 2013.
7.0.1 came out September 19.
7.0.2 came out September 26.
7.0.3 came out October 22.
7.0.4 came out November 14.

That's 4 updates in 2 months. Three in the (approximately) first month.

KitKat came out October 31. No updates so far, over a month in.

I understand that you might respond, "well iOS needs so many updates because it has so many bugs." And that might be true. But unquestionably, KitKat has some things that could be adjusted (at a minimum, it'd be nice if they tweaked the volume a little bit on the N5). And surely there are various bugs that could be fixed.

Is this pretty typical? I can't help but wonder why Google takes so long to push out updates, even if they are minor. I'd rather get a couple of minor updates over the course of a month or two than to have to wait 3 or 4 months for a single, bigger update.

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
A couple of those updates were for security issues that HAD to be updated quickly, considering the bad press they were getting.

TheAtheistOtaku

Oct 18, 2011
Buffalo

I understand that you might respond, "well iOS needs so many updates because it has so many bugs." And that might be true. But unquestionably, KitKat has some things that could be adjusted (at a minimum, it'd be nice if they tweaked the volume a little bit on the N5). And surely there are various bugs that could be fixed.

Is this pretty typical? I can't help but wonder why Google takes so long to push out updates, even if they are minor. I'd rather get a couple of minor updates over the course of a month or two than to have to wait 3 or 4 months for a single, bigger update.
i dont get these android vs ios threads. if your unhappy, go back to ios then. you dont need to keep looking for reasons.
Google does it this way because it works for them, i honestly dont see a problem with it. whatever bugs that are on stock are usually fixed on a custom rom. Try doing that with an iphone

Reactions: stremax and ygella

adio01

Mar 20, 2011
Minneapolis
Whatever bugs that are on stock are usually fixed on a custom rom. Try doing that with an iphone.

Not trying to hate on custom roms, but most of them have their own bugs and are not for the everyday user. Some might say the N5 is developer phone but it works on Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile and I know Sprint is selling it on contract to average users.

The main issue with the N5 is obviously the camera. I can't even use some apps anymore and the camera breaks to a green screen while using those apps. I know the fix is coming, but it's kinda annoying to have to reboot my phone every 30 minutes to be able to send snapchats or use the camera again. Also hearing so many stories about people returning an otherwise great phone because they cant get the camera to work. So I guess I semi-agree with the OP that Google needs to fix some things now, but can also understand why they haven't yet.

if your unhappy, go back to ios then. you dont need to keep looking for reasons.

I think all he was trying to say was that he wished Google was a tiny tiny little bit like Apple sometimes. If this was the IPhone 5 they would be getting murdered by the media. Not necessarily unhappy with the phone or Google's services, just patiently waiting for a fix on a few crucial things.

Last edited:

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
Updates will come when they're ready. I know I don't want an update for the sake of getting a update. Too many times I've seen stuff rushed to fix something and break many other things. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

droid_<3er

Dec 20, 2011
Vancouver
Not trying to hate on custom roms, but most of them have their own bugs and are not for the everyday user. Some might say the N5 is developer phone but it works on Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile and I know Sprint is selling it on contract to average users.

The main issue with the N5 is obviously the camera. I can't even use some apps anymore and the camera breaks to a green screen while using those apps. I know the fix is coming, but it's kinda annoying to have to reboot my phone every 30 minutes to be able to send snapchats or use the camera again. Also hearing so many stories about people returning an otherwise great phone because they cant get the camera to work. So I guess I semi-agree with the OP that Google needs to fix some things now, but can also understand why they haven't yet.

Bro, that's an example of something you don't say here at XDA. :p"Most of them have their own bugs" well duh! It's been about a month and ROMs take a few months to iron out all the issues. But when that stable or RC CM/AOKP/Beanstalk/Slim build comes out, there's no complaining. Simply good features and good speed. :victory:

Why shouldn't Google market it as a good smartphone for the average user? Just because it's a Nexus doesn't mean its destiny belongs at XDA...it's got good speed, stability, features and screen. What else could you wish for at the price of $349/399 or $450 on carrier?

It's not like iOS 7 was good upon release. You wanna see the lag on my iPad Mini that wasn't fixed until 7.0.3? Bro, there's no reason that they should be releasing anything that lags that hard on a major device that still constituted a major part of their lineup at ios7 release; simply unacceptable. The updates were methods of solving problems such as lag (it's much better now with Reduce Motion and Increase Contrast).

You're an XDA user man. Look around for a fix, don't just sit there. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516061 :p

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

A software update won't magically melt the extra glue in your N5. It was already determined that speaker sound required a hardware modification. There is a fix for volume on the N5 already, I think Google is aware of this and might put it in 4.4.1.

adio01

Mar 20, 2011
Minneapolis
Bro, that's an example of something you don't say here at XDA. :p"Most of them have their own bugs" well duh! It's been about a month and ROMs take a few months to iron out all the issues. But when that stable or RC CM/AOKP/Beanstalk/Slim build comes out, there's no complaining. Simply good features and good speed. :victory:

Why shouldn't Google market it as a good smartphone for the average user? Just because it's a Nexus doesn't mean its destiny belongs at XDA...it's got good speed, stability, features and screen. What else could you wish for at the price of $349/399 or $450 on carrier?

It's not like iOS 7 was good upon release. You wanna see the lag on my iPad Mini that wasn't fixed until 7.0.3? Bro, there's no reason that they should be releasing anything that lags that hard on a major device that still constituted a major part of their lineup at ios7 release; simply unacceptable. The updates were methods of solving problems such as lag (it's much better now with Reduce Motion and Increase Contrast).

You're an XDA user man. Look around for a fix, don't just sit there. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516061

1) I didn't say custom roms don't get the bugs iron out i've been rooting/flashing for 4-5 years now and have used some amazing roms. I said they were not for the everyday user and if you don't know what you are doing it can be a hassle.

2) A lot of people argue that the Nexus 5 is a developer phone. I didn't say it was destined for XDA I almost said the exact opposite since average users are buying it.

3) Never said IOS 7 was good/bad nor have I ever used IOS. In your comparison though, lag vs. the entire camera not functioning.

4) I know how to search im just more of a lurker... and I've used that camera app before. The problem is not the quality of the image/camera and that is what that app is aiming to fix. I actually think the N5 is able to take great pictures in most situations. The problem with the camera is that while using apps that utilize the nexus's camera it will become unusable giving you a black/green screen with noise making the camera unusable until you reboot the phone.

I know the camera issue does not affect many users who do not use apps like snap-chat and a few others (or I think using face-unlock will also trigger this) but a lot of less tech savvy have been returning the phone thinking it doesn't function properly. For tech savvy users like us we know the new camera API is coming and can wait it out.

Also, they are exclusively featuring camera on the N5 in all of the commercials I have seen.

Funny story to go with this also. My GF suggested that I need to get a new phone since snap-chat doesn't work anymore... I just sort of laughed and said no way! But just thought it was an interesting perspective.

Last edited:

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
I'm going to stop reading the general forum, all i see is people whining about this or that.
If you're not satisfied just return your device and get anything else.
To get back on topic, most of us don't give a flying F* about iOS around here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
All you are saying in the op is that Apple release sh1t software that needs fixing more than Google

Shoopz

Jan 11, 2013
I use snap chat every day many times a day and I do not have this green problem you speak of

jimgreco

Mar 23, 2009
I use snap chat every day many times a day and I do not have this green problem you speak of

I actually get that issue quite often. Occasionally its just a black screen and gives a camera error. Doesn't fix itself until the phones restarted. Stock / Rooted.

BinkXDA

Mar 1, 2012
There are FAR more iOS 7 users than there are Android 4.4 users. When 400 million iOS 7 users have an issue—92% of all iOS users out there—a lot of people are affected. When 1 million Android 4.4 users have an issue—1% of all Android users out there—this is a very tiny portion of the Android ecosystem and Google does not feel they need to resolve issues timely. You can blame Google and the entire Android ecosystem for this.

Last edited:

adio01

Mar 20, 2011
Minneapolis
I'm going to stop reading the general forum, all i see is people whining about this or that.

Not whining and I didn't say that i'm unhappy with the device or want to return it if that was directed towards me, just saying Google needs to fix a few things.

Advertising the Camera -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ0XTJqFLIE

Camera Problems -
http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1rcc1f/issue_with_camera_crashing_on_nexus_5_running/

Camera Problems Confirmed -
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61873#c79

And like I said the issue has been confirmed most of us are just waiting on them to rollout the update. :p

What rom do you have flashed?

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
They need to get an update for the n5 quick, to fix the 'bog roll' quality speaker which somehow manages to vibrate the phone more than the actual vibrator does.

yabbb

Feb 8, 2010
There is a 4.4.1 update rolling out shortly. No link, but easily googled.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
It should probably be mentioned that Google have decoupled several apps from the core OS that in iOS would require an OS "update".

For example, Chrome is now a separate update whereas Safari in iOS is not. If security updates to the browser are required, Google just updates Chrome in the Play store, whereas Apple would release an OS "update" which may in reality only affect the browser.

I'm not saying that is always going to be the case, but it may explain some of the timing "differences".

EDIT: Here's a good example, from the iOS 7.0.4 update:

Bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users.

The Android equivalent of a Facetime fix would likely just be a new version of Hangouts on Play.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here we are less than a month and a half in. We've had the 4.4.1 udate and the 4.4.2 update. Plus the OP did not take into account the initial update that the first shipment of phones had on first startup. Plus as someone pointed out there are the numerous updates to individual components like Hangouts, Maps, etc. I think the implication from the OP is that Google isn't as "on top of it" as Apple. I think he's wrong. Besides, any update Apple puts out will never fix the fact that it's an iPhone.
    It should probably be mentioned that Google have decoupled several apps from the core OS that in iOS would require an OS "update".

For example, Chrome is now a separate update whereas Safari in iOS is not. If security updates to the browser are required, Google just updates Chrome in the Play store, whereas Apple would release an OS "update" which may in reality only affect the browser.

I'm not saying that is always going to be the case, but it may explain some of the timing "differences".

EDIT: Here's a good example, from the iOS 7.0.4 update:

Bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users.

The Android equivalent of a Facetime fix would likely just be a new version of Hangouts on Play.

Regards,

Dave

i dont get these android vs ios threads. if your unhappy, go back to ios then. you dont need to keep looking for reasons.
    Google does it this way because it works for them, i honestly dont see a problem with it. whatever bugs that are on stock are usually fixed on a custom rom. Try doing that with an iphone