5,600,919 Members 42,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Nexus 5 software updates vs. iPhone update speed

Tip us?

DdragonPT
Old
Thanks Meter 0
well in a space of 5 days since the opening of this thread already two updates for the kitkat, you got what you wanted.

auggie246
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
iOS 7 was released on September 18, 2013.
7.0.1 came out September 19.
7.0.2 came out September 26.
7.0.3 came out October 22.
7.0.4 came out November 14.

That's 4 updates in 2 months. Three in the (approximately) first month.

KitKat came out October 31. No updates so far, over a month in.

I understand that you might respond, "well iOS needs so many updates because it has so many bugs." And that might be true. But unquestionably, KitKat has some things that could be adjusted (at a minimum, it'd be nice if they tweaked the volume a little bit on the N5). And surely there are various bugs that could be fixed.

Is this pretty typical? I can't help but wonder why Google takes so long to push out updates, even if they are minor. I'd rather get a couple of minor updates over the course of a month or two than to have to wait 3 or 4 months for a single, bigger update.
Do u know how stupid u sound right now...

Well u want updates, google gave you 2 in 2 weeks now. Google wants Big stable updates instead of small and potentially deadly bugs.

phositadc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie246 View Post
Do u know how stupid u sound right now...

Well u want updates, google gave you 2 in 2 weeks now. Google wants Big stable updates instead of small and potentially deadly bugs.
How is a mere factual comment stupid? It still took Google weeks longer than Apple to fix serious issues like volume.

No need for personal attacks, friend. Reported.

Sent from my XT1053

craigbailey1986
Old
Thanks Meter 285
Quote:
How is a mere factual comment stupid? It still took Google weeks longer than Apple to fix serious issues like volume.

Sent from my XT1053
What's the point of reporting someone because of the word stupid? Did it seriously hurt your feelings or something? I agree that they could have chosen a different word but any word you replace it with could be perceived as offensive... To some....

And why even come compare apples to oranges. Different os, different issues, different coding, which may mean longer process or even more strenuous testing.... They have to first verify the issue in house and then find a solution which doesn't create another issue. Not an easy task my friend.

Nor does this thread seem to be about the nexus 5 more about Google and apple... Maybe you should report your own thread for being in the wrong section and ask for it to be moved to the correct section....

/Rant over....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dani897
Old
Thanks Meter 679
is the op happy now? google fixed the camera, volume, bt volume control, and who knows what else all at once.

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 524
Apple is known to wait a long time between updates and almost none of the core components can be updated without an OS update. iOS 7 was so buggy that they had to do a bunch of updates however. This was a big change for them. On the other hand, Kit-Kat was not nearly as buggy as iOS 7 on its first launch that a bunch of quick updates were not needed. I don't see how Apple's model is one to follow. Are you asking Google to put out a crap initial release like iOS 7?

Dani897
Old
Thanks Meter 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan61 View Post
Besides, any update Apple puts out will never fix the fact that it's an iPhone.
^^^ haha, this!! yes they are fast, and take nice pictures and face time and airplay and blah blah blah.. if you can't figure out video calls/chats on android go get an iphone and face time your iphone friends but i'll be having fun with my nfc stickers and android beam and Qi charger and turn by turn nav and free alternative nav apps, and wifi direct and $4 mhl adapter (vs $40 for an apple hdmi adapter)

sure apple can get Qi via an expensive case, and airplay is equivlent to wifi direct with miracast but again apple tv is more expensive than chrome cast.

the big difference is that accesories you get for an android will probably be supported by other operating systems at some point if not already because they are existing standards. Qi i beleive is available on some windows phone 8 devices, not sure what else, but i'll bet is samsung creates an android alternative then they will support these things as they were the first to release some of them through android. apple comes up with proprietary standards that work with other apple devices but then they eventually stop supporting things planning obsolescence into the product like changing the music app so you have to update itunes and no alternative mtp apps for linux work anymore and possibly breaking older docks and car radio compatibility.. i had an ipod compatible radio in my car back in the day so i got the iphone 3g instead of trying to find a g1 or wait for a nexus 1 but the thing was that the apple certified product didn't charge the phone.. i just got a message that my charger wasn't compatible... it had some music control functionality but i still had to manipulate the phone somewhat, not like it worked with my ipod... and they continue to do this. i swear if bluetooth wasn't so essential to a modern phone apple would have created their own but they'd start killing of certain protocols over time so you'd have to buy more stuff... yes this happens with bt anyway but if you can change the bt stack like on a linux based os then you can always add support back in.

they do smart things... like lightning, and display port and that magnetic charge thingy. the only reason i hate lightning is it's basically usb but it's only available to apple, like there are already too many versions of usb so lets create one more but you have to buy an apple product to use it? really?. what's with patents on holding things via magnets anyway? is that really a novel idea? i mean i had magnets holding things to my refriderator as long as i've been alive... was it really a stretch to hold on a power cord with them? or a phone dock? (palm) do we really live in a country where you can patent magnets?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dani897 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PsychDrummer
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:

Sent from my XT1053
IMO, I don't think that either volume nor camera was a "serious" issue. I don't normally use the speakers since I use headphones/cassette adapter. Even for people who do use speakers I don't think it was as bad as people made it out to be. Yes, the camera was slow but again not that serious. IIRC, iOS7 had security issues where you could bypass the lockscreen and I'm sure there were more as people have mentioned in the thread. In regard to the issues the N5 had, I was actually impressed at how quickly Google pushed it out. I honestly thought we would have had to wait until the next major update or something.

phositadc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Default Google Nexus 5 software updates vs. iPhone update speed

Settle down folks. I'm an android guy, not an iPhone guy. When I posted the op I was just frustrated that Apple was pushing out fixes to both substantive (security issues) and aesthetic (the contrast in the ui) issues within mere weeks of ios7 being released, but that google hadn't fixed things like volume (presumably a very simple fix, but maybe I'm wrong) for a month.

Yes, I am happy that they've started pushing out fixes. As far as I'm concerned this thread can be closed.

And for the record, I didn't actually report the guy above. I'm not that much of a pansy. Just wanted to make the point that personal attacks are never necessary, especially when the premise of the op is purely factual. I don't think that stating facts should be a basis for people getting so worked up.

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan61 View Post
Besides, any update Apple puts out will never fix the fact that it's an iPhone.
I lol'd literally.

Sent from my Nexus 5