Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Nexus 6 - What do you think?

Tip us?

XdrummerXboy
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhealy View Post
128GB impact on phone price?

Agreed, SD slot adds hassle no need really for most, and those who "need" it can buy something else.

Once you get to 32GB its enough really for >95% of folks. 64GB gets you to 99% of folks. I'd offer a 32GB/64GB or 32GB/128GB at the $300-$350 choice.

16GB is useless now its a waste to even offer one.

Agree 64bit, because Google then seeds 64bit handsets to make devs build for 64bit so then the apps are there for when app size benefits from 64bit sometime 2016. 64bit is a chicken+egg problem (need the apps to justify the hardware, hardware needs the apps to justify the cost) so need to go to 64bit software 1+ year before anyone needs 64bit hardware or you're screwed stalling pace.

So yes, 64bit needs to be in the Nexus 6 (or I think its called Nexus 5 2014 personally).
I agree with what you're saying. I'm one of the >32 GB people. I have 32 internal and 64 external, but use about half of my total storage. At times I have filled up both with movies and stuff for long trips. I'd happily pay an extra $50 for 128gb

Sent from Galaxy S3 running CM11

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
What, even if its too big to fit in your pocket or hand? That's the trend, sadly.
I like bigger screens, but honestly, whatever it is (within reason) I'm gonna get it too if it comes to my carrier.

I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan and its the only way to get a new phone at a good price without getting rid of my data plan.

Sent from Galaxy S3 running CM11
Sent from Galaxy SIII running CM11

Jockson
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Personally, all I'd want from the next Nexus phone would be better screen and better build quality. By better screen I mean slightly better contrast and without the god awful viewing angles on darker colors that you don't even find on china phones. The size of the screen should stay the same, as should the resolution.

As for build quality, it doesn't neccessarily need to be made from aluminum. The actual materials used on the N5 would actually feel very nice in the hand if the phone was built better. The power button on mine has the cheapest feel I've ever seen on any decent phone ever. The less said about the vibrate motor the better. It's "small" things like this that make a lot of difference. I really wouldn't mind paying more for a more premium Nexus phone.

drmodify
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
128GB impact on phone price?

Agreed, SD slot adds hassle no need really for most, and those who "need" it can buy something else.

Once you get to 32GB its enough really for >95% of folks. 64GB gets you to 99% of folks. I'd offer a 32GB/64GB or 32GB/128GB at the $300-$350 choice.

16GB is useless now its a waste to even offer one.

Agree 64bit, because Google then seeds 64bit handsets to make devs build for 64bit so then the apps are there for when app size benefits from 64bit sometime 2016. 64bit is a chicken+egg problem (need the apps to justify the hardware, hardware needs the apps to justify the cost) so need to go to 64bit software 1+ year before anyone needs 64bit hardware or you're screwed stalling pace.

So yes, 64bit needs to be in the Nexus 6 (or I think its called Nexus 5 2014 personally).
Yes the price will be tremendous so I think they will stay with 16gb to 32gb if they want to retain their legacy of "affordable" phones. And I think they will still sell 16gb so that you will be forced to use cloud services. That anyway is how the future is so its inevitable.

On the brand name... I think it will be a new line since this is a new generation. Something like errr... "Nebula 1"
Hello

Towerdragon
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have seen a few reports that LG is out and HTC could be making the next Nexus really don't know it there is any validity to these reports I'm sure we will not know til release