XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google's thirst for your info.

Tip us?

scouser_75
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Nexus is Google's vision for android. AOSP is what Google give everyone else as a base. Google compete in sales with oems, so they must act like oems. They take aosp and make it their own by adding in proprietary apps, services and functions (Google launcher, photosphere etc) just like samsung, htc and Sony do.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
So, does this mean that the Nexus decices [possibly] via programming can have functions like Samsung S4's where if you get a text and lift the phone to your ear the phone automatically dials the contacts number?

Or is that purely hardware based?

rayiskon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scouser_75 View Post
So, does this mean that the Nexus decices [possibly] via programming can have functions like Samsung S4's where if you get a text and lift the phone to your ear the phone automatically dials the contacts number?

That feature uses the accelerometer and proximity sensors (which are found on all smartphones), but i'm not sure if you'll ever see it baked into a ROM. More likely you'd find it in an app from the playstore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7396
Quote:

Its software - based on information passed from hardware (motion sensor + Proximity perhaps?) - Yes it is totally possible. But the source code is closed so it would need coding from the ground up.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

TiltedAz
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I'm with the OP. If you aren't concerned about privacy then you haven't been paying attention. Now some (i.e. Yahoo) require a cellphone number to open online accounts. There's no valid reason other than tightening the snare on our personal information.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltedAz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scouser_75
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Its software - based on information passed from hardware (motion sensor + Proximity perhaps?) - Yes it is totally possible. But the source code is closed so it would need coding from the ground up.
So it'll be a right PITA to implement into another device.

Not that I want this, of course. Was just curious.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltedAz View Post
I'm with the OP. If you aren't concerned about privacy then you haven't been paying attention. Now some (i.e. Yahoo) require a cellphone number to open online accounts. There's no valid reason other than tightening the snare on our personal information.
There is being concerned and there is being paranoid. There is a happy medium in there somewhere.

Quote:
So it'll be a right PITA to implement into another device.

Not that I want this, of course. Was just curious.
Just needs a good dev and enough who want it implemented really. This particular feature probably isn't the hardest to implement.
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

trsix
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Default no big deal

The credit bureaus sell your most sensitive information every day . now thats a real problem.
XDA, Where whiners come to whine.
The Following User Says Thank You to trsix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scouser_75
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
There is being concerned and there is being paranoid. There is a happy medium in there somewhere.

Just needs a good dev and enough who want it implemented really. This particular feature probably isn't the hardest to implement.
I have an idea for a great app/widget… thing is I know squat all about programming

May need to source an "idiots guide to app programming"