Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][Hard mod] Nexus 5's throttling solved by adding thermal paste.

Tip us?

bradputt
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Why do I have the feeling that you are in Singapore

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

WarRaven
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradputt View Post

Post no 9 maybe?

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5

bradputt
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarRaven View Post
Post no 9 maybe?

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5
Opps, I didn't read the whole thread. Lol

I got the same ipa solvent bottle that's why I feel that way.

pyj08178
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradputt View Post

I think I've seen you on VR-Zone

bradputt
Old
Thanks Meter 109
i'm more active in HWZ, but with different nick.

Triversity
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Wow this looks awesome!
Could you run the Classic Test on StabilityTest (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...into.stability) and see how warm it gets after about 10min? This would be really interesting since my Nexus 5 reaches 100C/212F easily.

Thank you very much.

FishDip
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default Xda is my blog =p

I stay in malaysia 25C~35C depending on weather.
-Stock rom @ Stock GHZ @ Stock Vol
-r32 franco kernel
At first, I thought my antutu score was so terrible, getting 23k~25k. Then I does a quick search and realize it was thermal throttled.
I got annoyed with the low score. (U know the feeling when u have the almost same spec as note3 and getting low score)
40~60C on normal usage, 77C max when running antutu.

So I decided to void my warranty, and deal with the s800 heat problem.
I applied 3W/mk 1mm thermal pad, and the result was good. Got 27K~28K. The screen was slightly hot to use. Not comfortable when keeping in pocket after usage. 40C~58C on normal usage, 66C max when running antutu.

After 3days, I got frustrated with the heat on the screen everytime I use. The heat was so hot and I worried the screen might fail over time.
I thought maybe thermalpad wasn't a really good conductor and collecting too much heat.
So I change from thermal pad to 0.5mm Copper plate. I applied thermal paste between s800 and copper plate and nexus5 frame.

s800|#|Cu|#|Nexus5

legend: ('# = thermal paste'),('Cu = Copper')

The result of antutu was great! 29k~30K. 30999 was the highest I get.
But then I got more frustrated and worried with the heat on the screen. It is not even optimal temperature for the IPS screen to work properly.
40~60C on normal usage, 65C max when running antutu.
The frame was a good collector of heat, but a very bad heat dissipator, it got very hot on the screen after long use and it actually reached 65C
for just surfing websites with chrome. 30min of surfing on forums only, no java/gif/flash/watever****s.

I used to be an overclocker on PC, and 60C is a very sensitive limit to me. I feel very sad that Nexus5 is very bad with thermal control that it actually sacrifice s800 performance to overcome the thermal issue. So in the end I took out the copper plate and clean up the thermal paste.
It actually feels better for daily usage where no thermal paste/pad/ copper plate is applied to the frame.

Lesson of nexus5
1) Forget about the benchmark. Nexus 5 score will not able to beat other s800. Unless you live in freezer or somewhere cold.
2) God created us, He knows us best. Have faith in the thermal throttling, LG knows nexus5's best
3) Nexus5 is not a heatsink, the frame is not for heat dissipation, it is a big heat collector.
4) Nexus5 is easy to disassemble.

I voided my warranty for this lesson. (It was fun anyway, I like to disassemble things)
But no sticker nor watever pin that shows I've opened up my unit.
So yup... still got chance for warranties next time. (Probably changed new phone by that time)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FishDip For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrBelter
Old
Thanks Meter 155
This is mine fully stock and I don't live in a freezer, the central heating is on 22cClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392690506787.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2585735

Snoop05
Old
Thanks Meter 686
what material is block base on SoC? copper or aluminium? cuz i cant use coollaboratory liquid ultra on Al because it contain Gallium
Google Nexus 5 32GB D820 (hammerhead) PVS 2
ROM: Paranoid SaberDroid 30-July
KERNEL: UBER SaberMod 29-July
MOD: Fly-On Mod & G3 Bionic + Z2 Dalvik
[TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer
[MOD] NEW Adreno libs for JellyBean MR1 4.2 WORKING!
Previous devices: AT&T SAMSUNG Galaxy S II Skyrocket i727, HTC Sensation (Pyramid), HTC HD2 (Leo), Nokia N95, Sony Ericsson K550i, Sony Ericsson K510i, Sony Ericsson K300i, Nokia 5510

adey64
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelter View Post
This is mine fully stock and I don't live in a freezer, the central heating is on 22cAttachment 2585735
Big thanks to op for the idea an to you for experimenting even further.. I myself live in Sarawak and our weather is not kind to the nexus 5..I like your idea of the copper pad.. Is it better than if I were to use thermal paste only like op.. Maybe op can post some Temps so we can compare... Anyway for heat management I just switch to elemental x and it's the best kernel for heat control after subjective tests.. Esp when you touch the screen a lot.. The Temps are around 54 compared to 65+ with stock/Franco (I use dragging down the notification bar up and down to simulate touch events while looking at Temps).. So with elemental an this mods the Temps should be great.

I was wondering why you think the screen heating up is a bad idea.. Doesn't it heat up even without the mod?..

Tags
nexus 5 hard mod guide, thermal paste, throttle, throttling