FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[GUIDE][Hard mod] Nexus 5's throttling solved by adding thermal paste.

1st May 2015, 09:15 AM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgtech

Make sure though that you pick one which is about 16mm x 16mm x 0.5mm or else it wont fit into the gap.

It have size 15x15, too bad?

1st May 2015, 09:16 AM |#42  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 847

More
15x15 is slighty smaller than 16x16, it will fit without any problems
1st May 2015, 01:04 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 181

More
i often thought about this,the thermal paste is used to transfer heat over to the metal frame if it makes contact.

you would want to use arctic ceramic to be safe, non conductive insulating thermal paste, even though the 99% silver is the best for conductivity you would want make sure it doesnt get in contact with the motherboard.
7th May 2015, 02:25 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
thanks for this, I do wish that the dropbox images worked - and I also used an alternative 'guide' to take the Nexus 5 apart, the ifixit is rather poor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuCmfhzgbg

I had to only guess how much thermal paste to put on the square as the image you posted on dropbox did not work. but thanks for the help still.
7th May 2015, 02:32 PM |#45  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 847

More
Arctic Silver 5 or similar thermal pastes are non conductive under regular circumstances. You need a lot of pressure in order to make it conductive Arctic Silver 5 is quite sticky and tough to apply but its stable even after years of usage.

If on the other hand you want to use some liquid metal fluid, this one is 100% electrical conductive and not stable at all. In comparison to regular paste, it will evaporate sooner or later and leave a hard layer behind which is very hard to remove.

Just use whatever paste you like since the thermal difference will be 1-3 at best, even standard silicone paste ( the white stuff you use for power electronics ) is better than no paste at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by republicano

i often thought about this,the thermal paste is used to transfer heat over to the metal frame if it makes contact.

you would want to use arctic ceramic to be safe, non conductive insulating thermal paste, even though the 99% silver is the best for conductivity you would want make sure it doesnt get in contact with the motherboard.

9th May 2015, 12:01 AM |#46  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431125704735.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	3303509 Remembering the One X, and the way it had copper on the battery and the CPU. I ordered a piece and cut it to fit the battery, the remaining pieces were attached to the square cut out on the metal backplate (with thermal paste in front of the copper) and a couple layers to make sure it's still touching the metal plate (its pretty thin). Applied a very small drop of thermal paste on the CPU too. The battery does feel genuinely cold to the touch now. CPU idle has dropped from ~42C to ~37C. Benchmarking soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus 5 hard mod guide, thermal paste, throttle, throttling
Previous Thread Next Thread