Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 39,091 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 Undervolting thread

Tip us?

Tom540
Old
(Last edited by Tom540; 21st November 2013 at 09:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 244
Default Nexus 5 Undervolting thread

I found this thread very useful on the N4 forums, so here it is for the Nexus 5.

First, what is undervolting?

No two CPUs are made equally, every one is slightly different. This means they each need a different minimum voltage to run completely stable, so manufacturers set it high enough so that every chip can run without needing a voltage tailored to that specific chip. But this means that most devices can have their voltages lowered, and still run 100% stable

What are the benefits of undervolting?

In my experience, heat reduction is the main benefit. However, this heat reduction has implications elsewhere; for instance it means the thermal throttling will kick in later, so there is less of a performance drop. Also, less power is wasted to heat, meaning marginal gains in battery life. If you cannot run higher frequencies, i.e. over 2.26GHz, undervolting/overvolting these frequencies may help.

Any disadvantages?

Not really - you may experience reboots and instability, but that means you need to raise the voltages. Also, make sure you don't check set on boot until you know the voltages are stable, but if you have any problems you can flash the stock kernel, or in worst case wipe the data from a recovery.

How do I undervolt?

Many CPU apps are available to change the voltages, but personally I use Trickster Mod (donate). Just slowly decrease your voltages, small amounts at a time, and set them on boot when you are happy they are stable.
If you want to really want to get your voltages perfect, you can set the min/max frequency to one you want to modify, and edit each frequency to perfection. To save time, I'd recommend starting with the highly used frequencies - many apps can tell you which your device uses most often.

CPU Binning

I know on the nexus 4 the cpu bin was related to the amount users could undervolt, and Im sure the case is still the same, so heres how you can find out your CPU bin: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2515593 It would be useful to include your CPU bin in your post.

Here are my initial voltages, running ElementalX v0.7, CPU bin 3 and PSX - please, feel free to share yours (and your knowledge);

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltages.jpg
Views:	6413
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2406955

Rules of the thread

Be nice to each other, use search if you have a question, and don't flame noobs for no reason.

It would be helpful to include your CPU bin and kernel in your post.

Also, if I have made any errors in the OP or you feel something should be added, quote this (so I get notified) and tell me, I'm sure theres a lot more information I could include!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tom540 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tom540
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 244
Reserved

uh60james
Old
(Last edited by uh60james; 23rd November 2013 at 09:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 62
PVS3 -50 Stable

Tom540
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
What's your CPU bin?
Just added to the op, I have a 3, which I think is about in the middle? I haven't had a proper look at the thread yet to find out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AndrasLOHF
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom540 View Post
I have a 3, which I think is about in the middle?

I have a 3 too. So far sitting stable at a global -62.5 undervolt the past few days. Tried -75 a few times and got reboots when turning the screen on.
Nexus 5 Paranoid PandamentalX Trooper!!!

Get your eargasm herehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...droid-t2543796
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrasLOHF For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tom540
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasLOHF View Post
I have a 3 too. So far sitting stable at a global -62.5 undervolt the past few days. Tried -75 a few times and got reboots when turning the screen on.
Same has just happened to me too, so I'll bump them up to -62.5, although I think I should be able to keep the lower CPU clocks at lower voltages as I'm sure the higher ones are used when turning on the screen

smmndchaos
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm running franco r14 and got two almost immediate reboots on your settings. Gonna go a little easier. I have no experience doing this, so it's still a bit confusing.

rudyzhou2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
can probably go a bit easier on the higher clocks, my settings are -75 mv below 1.8 ghz and -50 above. Just played some deer hunter 2014 and seems to be fine. No reboots so farr! My bin is 3 as well. Running stock rom with faux003b6 kernel

mrro82
Old
Thanks Meter 260
I have a bin of 3 as well. I've only been brave enough to go -37.5 on Fauxs latest beta kernel

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

JMacalinao
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Got a CPU bin of 2. I went for -50 undervolt for all frequencies on Faux kernel 002 a few days ago, no reboots so far. Haven't tried -62.5 but -75 was too much, so I'll stick with -50.

The Following User Says Thank You to JMacalinao For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]