Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 49,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HARDWARE MOD]Volume Increase for Nexus 5 (13 db increase)

Tip us?

Cheeze[iT]
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Wonder when we can get something closer to home.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Current:
Google Nexus 5 32gb White

AdamOutler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,602

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli1122 View Post
Found a few on ebay, this looks about the best.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speakerpho...item2585502be9

Strangely, they all seem to be in parts of Europe
Good find. I'd have grabbed one of these as a teardown prototype before doing my own if I had seen that. Luckily it seems that nothing unexpected was affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcadle View Post
For one, I clicked through to your thread from an article somewhere (maybe an XDA one). So I dove right into the OP without even paying attention to the title, because I got the gist of what your thread was about from the article.. Second, I've never done, nor considered a hardware mod, so if I had read the title, it may not have even registered with me... I've just never given any thoughts to physically modifying one of my devices. As far as reading.... short of the title, I read every post in the thread before posting, and still didn't get an answer to the question 'What's glue got to do with this?'. The article that led me to your post mentioned that glue may have spilled over onto some areas it wasn't intended. You alluded to this yourself. But nowhere else in your post does it mention anything about it.

Oh, my sincere apologies for quoting half of the text (without images) of your first post.....
The glue is a theory. I have not yet torn one apart to figure out the problem. The thing is, I can't get the glue separated without damaging the speaker assembly. I don't know what's in there for sure, may be plastic, but I know that there is some manufacturer defect to blame for obstructuon and glue is the most likely culprit.

Is there some key word that I didn't use that could make it more obvious that this is a hardware mod?
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.

Cheeze[iT]
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Wonder if by just replacing the speaker would fix the issue? If we can locate several speakers at a a good price I wouldnt mind picking up a few and experimenting with hole sizes and locations.

Current:

jaggyjags
Old
Thanks Meter 1,871

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Good find. I'd have grabbed one of these as a teardown prototype before doing my own if I had seen that. Luckily it seems that nothing unexpected was affected.

Luckily I live just a few kilometers from that seller. I just bought one and will receive it in a few days. Will play with mine see what I learn, perhaps opening it in half to see what's the internal structure. Anything you would like to know?

The Following User Says Thank You to jaggyjags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bgaccord
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Did mod to my nexus. But now sounds hollow and phone vibrates more. Lol im just going to cover holes or buy speaker assy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Oli1122
Old
Thanks Meter 115

DONATE TO ME
I just tried this, and the results seem good. Both levels were recorded 1m away from the phone in a room with 27db ambient noise, with the same song playing each time.

Before mod - 67db average - Couldn't really hear my ringtone in a moderately busy room.

After mod - 80db average - Can just about hear my ringtone in the same room.

One thing to note was that I only put one hole on the front and one on the back of the module, I won't be adding more as im very happy with the volume at present. Cheers for trying this out and sharing this Adam

If I helped you please consider a donation to help pay for my uni fee

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oli1122 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cheeze[iT]
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli1122 View Post
I just tried this, and the results seem good. Both levels were recorded 1m away from the phone in a room with 27db ambient noise, with the same song playing each time.

Before mod - 67db average - Couldn't really hear my ringtone in a moderately busy room.

After mod - 80db average - Can just about hear my ringtone in the same room.

One thing to note was that I only put one hole on the front and one on the back of the module, I won't be adding more as im very happy with the volume at present. Cheers for trying this out and sharing this Adam
Any chance you can get s picture of where and how big?

Current:

smmndchaos
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I didn't do a direct before and after test, but my phone does sound louder and clearer.

boywithabeard
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Hey Adam, cool mod, thanks. I also have G2 with a similar problem. Any idea if this hack would work on it? Also wondered if you know of any methods for upgrading or swapping speakers meant for another device. I figure if anyone would know it would be you.

Oli1122
Old
Thanks Meter 115

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze[iT] View Post
Any chance you can get s picture of where and how big?
I will try to get some up tomorrow but I can't promise anything as I have a large assignment due. 😔

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If I helped you please consider a donation to help pay for my uni fee