Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Could the highly varied battery life be a manufacturing issue?

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSharky View Post
I think I have a lousy battery on my N5. I have listed below the settings I use. I don't think anyone can go further than this to save battery.

- Screen brightness - 10%
- Auto brightness OFF
- Google Now OFF
- Hotword detection OFF
- GPS - Device only
- Location tracking off
- WiFi scanning off
- Phone data set to 2G mode (4/4 bars) when idle, I switch to WiFi when I have to browse on Chrome.

Typical daily usage : I just use whatsapp 70% of the screen on time, with some googling on Chrome or reading a few news articles. Updating a couple of apps daily. No calls at ALL, no gaming at all. No video streaming at all.

All I get is about 3.5 - 4 hours of screen time, with the battery lasting about 15 hours. (a little more than half a day).
Some apps prevent my phone from sleeping, and kill the battery in ~9-10 hours, but that's very rare and is a bug, so i'm not taking that into consideration.

Do you think there's something seriously wrong with the battery, when it's giving such poor life for such light usage? Should I RMA my phone?
Without screenshots from something like gsam, we're all just guessing here.

Tho really, your battery time doesn't seem that out of place. You do have location services on....and as said, signal quality can be a factor. You could have wakelocks.....anything.

Need screen shots to see what it looks like.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wdwms
Old
(Last edited by wdwms; 26th March 2014 at 03:49 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Well this is getting interesting here... Google sent me a replacement phone.. I've got them both running stock with the same config

I charged both up to 100%, booted them at the same time and set the screen full brightness and turn off after 30 minutes. I then ran Antutu Benchmark twice, 3D mark twice, and then ran the antutu stability test 4 times. All at the same exact time. Here are the results

My original Nexus 5
[has a cooler color screen]
1h 22m 39s on battery & SoT
53% remaining
GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 0:58
GSM Talk Time: 2:49

Replacement Nexus 5
[has a warmer color screen]
1h 22m 41s on battery & SoT
61% remaining
GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 1:35
GSM Talk Time: 5:20

So anyone care to comment on this.. Two "identical" phones, running identical tests..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wdwms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlueSharky
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
You're forcing yourself to use 2G data? That won't be very efficient for actual usage, only in idle. WiFi or a good LTE signal is preferable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I use the 2G mode for idle or for messaging on whatsapp. It's more than enough for that I suppose. For browsing/high data usage, I switch to WiFi. In India, 3G coverage is kind of spotty, and LTE is almost non existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Without screenshots from something like gsam, we're all just guessing here.

Tho really, your battery time doesn't seem that out of place. You do have location services on....and as said, signal quality can be a factor. You could have wakelocks.....anything.

Need screen shots to see what it looks like.

I ran gsam this morning after a full night's charge. I'll use the phone as usual today and post screenshots soon. Wakelocks hmm.. I notice my phone doesn't go into deep sleep very often. How long does a phone take to go in deep sleep from idle? (assuming no apps are keeping wakelocks in the foreground/background)

UsEr313131
Old
Thanks Meter 109
you think you guys have it bad? my average SOT is 2 hours!!!! (damn mobile data)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

vmartinez39
Old
Thanks Meter 25
In my case I really really had terrible battery life, lasting just 4 hours on standby with minimal use. It reminded me of the times I had G2X.

In my case the thing draining the battery was email syncs. 2 POP, 1 IMAP

When I turned email syncs off, on heavy use, it lasted 8 hours. On moderate use it lasted 10+ hours, the whole dam day. It was like Jekyll/Hide. I was shocked.

The compromise was I enabled email Syncs every hour. Sometimes it drains my battery. Its those background apps kill your battery life.

Don't have graphs but this is my experience so far. Nexus 4 had better battery life with loads of email accounts for me. I was beginning to regret the Nexus 5. Now its fair. Can't complain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vmartinez39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidSlave
Old
Thanks Meter 4123
Thanks for last post I have 2 exchange and one IMAP accounts plus exchange and IMAP calendar sync. My battery life is a joke. No wakeloxka. But I am confident it is the issue. Unfortunately I can't turn off push notiticarions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2754
Yes its a lot to read.....tho could try searching it....but the how's your battery life thread has every issue you can think of in it....and most with solutions.

Guys with really bad battery life may want to spend some time reading through it. It could help a lot.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips