Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How many times you have dropped your NEXUS 5 ?

Tip us?

humzaahmed155
Old
Thanks Meter 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
$6 is just the glass where as you need the whole assembly to replace it yourself. You're looking at about $120 to replace the screen yourself or $150 and a couple weeks for LG to do it.

As far as I know, no one has successfully replaced just the glass without it ruining the phone in some way. It's basically impossible.
True, mainly because the biggest obstacle would be getting the digitiser lens onto the glass panel itself, and the frame being stuck to the glass
Current Devices
Google Nexus 5 Black 16GB - Android L Preview
Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE i9305 16GB - Official CM11 Nightlies - AGNi Kernel.

Old Devices
HTC One X 32GB - CM11 nightlies - Faux kernel - Dead (bad build quality took it's toll.)
HTC Desire HD - Sold.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by humzaahmed155 View Post
True, mainly because the biggest obstacle would be getting the digitiser lens onto the glass panel itself, and the frame being stuck to the glass
You are indeed correct. I've read accounts from those who've attempted it, if they manage to remove the glass and digitzer without breaking it they then have an equally hard task to accomplish: attempting to glue/stick the new glass on top of it.

The usual methods are with non standard glue (standard glue is UV activated) or double sided tape. As you might imagine this ends up looking and feeling, disastrous.
W32

Ltdrev
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfekc View Post
7-8 times... Neo hybrid case and no screen projector because a new screen i can get for like 6$ if i need it to look new..
It wont look new trust me !
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
The usual methods are with non standard glue (standard glue is UV activated) or double sided tape. As you might imagine this ends up looking and feeling, disastrous.
Even just the separation from the digitizer is next to impossible; if you heat to much digitizer mesh could separate and purple(s) spot(s) will appear so many way to mess this etc etceteras listen to @bblzd he's right (tried it myself)
Sent from a generic and obsolete desktop kept alive by the evilish powers of free softwares
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltdrev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khvwezd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I haven't dropped my Nexus once. My Lumia 900 was not so fortunate... Then again that thing withstood 1.5 years of an abusive relationship, I have to assume that the Nexus can't take throwing it into walls daily.

kilowatt95
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quite a few times actually..more than 10? My phones tend to take quite a bit of abuse but generally I've been lucky...until I dropped this phone on brick once and the screen cracked. Now that was expensive....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

kwPhone6: Google Nexus 5 D821: Android 4.4.4 Stock ROM, Franco kernel r61, PhilZ touch recovery
kwPad2: LG G Pad 8.3 V500: SlimKat 4.4.2 Linaro (Infected_ build), PhilZ touch recovery
kwPhone5: Galaxy S III i9305: SlimKat 4.4.4, PhilZ touch Recovery
kwPad ASUS Transformer Eee Pad TF101: SlimKat 4.4.2, TWRP

---RETIRED---
kwPhone4: iPhone 4, kwPhone3: Samsung Tocco, kwPhone2: Nokia N73, kwPhone: Samsung SGH-X680

Paradoxxx
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,473

DONATE TO ME
Quite a few times already. Screen got micro scratches everywhere, lost some bit of plastic on top right corner. But screen never broke.

I've been working on several projects, such as HyDrOG3N-ROM Series, Sense4All Sense port for Galaxy S2,
and I've been a member of Provision-Team

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Zero
Daily Driver
Google Nexus 5 - Stock... for now - Android 4.4 KitKat - AOSP

Other Phones
HTC One S - MaximusHD 10 - Android 4.2.2 Jellybean - Sense 5

ChickenNugget
Old
Thanks Meter 4